Forums

Topic: General 3DS Games Topic

Posts 121 to 140 of 313

NintendoByNature

@JaxonH yea i saw that one too. I think NL recently covered it. I may give that split pad a look. Or if I can find horis cheap single JC with the dpad, maybe ill take a flyer

Edit:ill 2nd ralizah, do not sleep on MM3d or OoT3d. Im not as fond of MM as I am OoT, but its still a good game nonetheless. The 3day cycle always throws me off my game. But in the 3d version they added a very important thing not in the original, fishing lol. That's just a personal preference though.

As much as I love playing those games on the big screen, those 2 are what I have lined up for my zelda run. Which reminds me, palace 1 down in zelda II already 😁

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

JaxonH

@Ralizah
split joycons (which is all I used when playing Paper Mario: there are a few games where you really want rumble, and that's one of them

Preach it. Split joycon is the only way to roll for Paper Mario. Highest rumble setting too. What an experience! Same for Mario + Rabbids.

the range on those things is annoying, though. If I have my leg propped up the wrong way on the couch, it blocks the signal to the dock that's literally 3 feet away or so)

Oh my gosh, I have the EXACT same problem when I sit with my leg crossed on my knee or block the line of sight to the Switch, which is like 3 feet from my recliner. Same for my Switch Pro on PC. That's due to weak bluetooth in the PC though.

Also, I have the 8bitdo SNES controller with dual shoulder buttons and dual analog. Such a great controller. But I do have official SNES controllers from Nintendo, the ones they sold. Those seem ideal to be using for retro games. I just haven't played many retro games. But I'm on a Zelda and Metroid kick so maybe I'll bust it out for Super Metroid and Link to the Past. I'm currently playing Metroid Samus Returns and, just since my last post, started playing Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D. Almost through the Deku Tree.

And yup, I remember when I picked up a 3DS in 2011 on a whim. At the time I was still hardcore into drugs and partying. I was on my way to Chicago to do just that and kick it with my friend, and decided to swing by Gamestop because he had showed me a magazine with a small article on 3DS, that showed games popping out of the screen. I thought it was so cool> I had remembered buying a DS 5 years prior (which I quickly thereafter sold for money to support my habit), and I had remembered getting into Metroid Prime 3 and Zelda Twilight Princess on Wii, and of course playing Nintendo as a kid, so I decided to grab a turquoise 3DS for $250, along with Ultra Street Fighter IV 3D, because, why not. After so many years wasting money, it felt like a rare treat to indulge in something tangible- something that would still be there the next morning. And that's all I played for like, 6 months straight. Soon after, went to rehab and suddenly found myself with lots of free time, and money I didn't know what to do with, so I bought Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D, and Star Fox 3D, followed by Resident Evil Revelations (or, Revelaitons, as the box said). This girl who was in there with me, I would lend her my 3DS each night, and she played the HECK out of Ocarina of Time. Oh my gosh. Every morning I'd look at her save file and she'd have 2 more hearts than the night before. She crushed that game in a week. Women LOVE Zelda. They just do. My ex wife was by no means a gamer. Like, at all, really. But she played Zelda Twilight Princess every night after work from start to finish. Idk what it is, but women love Zelda.

Anyways, what I was getting at is, I remember the gyro aiming in Ocarina of Time, thinking it was the coolest thing ever. That, and the gyro in Resident Evil Revelations, was what sold me on the technology. Been a believer ever since. Played the entire campaign of RE solo, AND co-op in RAID mode with my brother online. And I just couldn't aim for squat with the circle pad pro (pretty sure it used the CPP). With gyro though? Oh, I was a natural. It just felt right.

By 2013, I'd been clean for 2 years, had a stable job, apartment out in Madison, and for the first time as an adult, suddenly had plenty of cash to spend on whatever I wanted. That's when I started buying all sorts of Wii U and 3DS games, experimenting to see what was out there. Fire Emblem Awakening... that was a magical game. It opened doors like no other. I remember the demo, still, to this day. I was so utterly engrossed and blown away by how captivating it was compared to anything I'd played before. In fact, that entire year was magical. Fire Emblem Awakening, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Bravely Default, Zelda Link Between Worlds, Pokemon X/Y, Mario & Luigi Dream Team, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Steamworld Dig, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, New Super Mario Bros U, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Rayman Legends, Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed, Etrian Odyssey IV, Castlevania Mirror of Fate, SMT Soul Hackers, Mega Man games on 3DS VC, Zelda Oracle of Seasons/Ages on 3DS VC, Game & Wario, Zelda Windwaker HD, Rune Factory 4, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Batman Arkham Origins, Splinter Cell Blacklist, ACIV Black Flag, Super Mario 3D World, Wii Sports Club Golf, Dr Luigi...

What a year that was. That e3 where they showed DKC Tropical Freeze, it brought literal tears of joy. DKC was my favorite game as a kid... seeing it in HD was mind blowing. I thought Wii U was the best console ever made when I saw that. And I don't think that infatuation really wore off until years later. Was super attached to 3DS though,. 2013... those were the days. Makes 2020 feel like wandering a barren nuclear wasteland by comparison. Nothing magical. Nothing to look forward to. Nothing to reignite that intense passion. And to some extent, it's actually kind of like chasing the dragon. Nothing will ever give the same rush like in the beginning. And I acknowledge that. But still, there are glimmers and sparks here and there certain games provide (FE Three Houses, for example, or Xenoblade DE). How I long for an e3 grade Direct bursting at the seems with new Fire Emblem, new Zelda, Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4 and Trilogy, new Mario, new DKC, etc. Breath some life back into the hobby here.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@NintendoByNature
A bold move, sir lol...

Zelda II, dear goodness. I mean, I enjoy a good retro game as much as anyone else, but that's some serious commitment on display. With a few rare exceptions (Mega Man 2/3, Super Mario Bros 3, Tetris) NES games may as well be Atari games as far as I'm concerned. They're just... so... hard... to go back to. And the only reason I likely have exceptions at all is because they were the first games I ever played. That nostalgia dies hard.

Perhaps they'll consider remaking it one day. I'd love to experience the NES/GB classics, but just don't have the integrity to swallow that pill. I leave such ambitions to better men than I

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

NintendoByNature

@JaxonH lol its not that bad when you can use save states. Ive beaten it without save states before. So i give myself some leeway on multiple play throughs. Since I'm playing every zelda game in order of release, I simply can't skip the black sheep hah. I use a guide for the older zeldas though. Theres no other way honestly. I smashed zelda 1 with only a little bit of a guide in like 2 or 3 days. Zelda 2 will be a little longer due to that grind. But after that it's sweet sweet ALttP, and im already jonesin for it 😉

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

Dogorilla

Etrian Mystery Dungeon is being removed from the 3DS eShop. Not sure what the reasoning for that is (maybe a Switch port is coming, or maybe there's some kind of licensing issue, who knows) but I think I'm going to buy a physical copy now in case they get harder to find in the future. I've never played an Etrian Odyssey game, nor have I played a Mystery Dungeon game since Pokémon Explorers of Sky when I was a kid, but EMD is currently only £7.99 on NISA's store so even if I don't get into it I haven't got much to lose. Might also buy Rodea the Sky Soldier on Wii U while I'm at it as that's pretty cheap as well.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Eel

I remember I bought the physical version ages ago because it said it included a soundtrack, but much to my disappointed, the included disc only had five songs.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Tyranexx

The 3DS VC was my first exposure to Zelda II. I did beat the game, but I admittedly had to use save states. I didn't need them at all until after the first palace, and then after that....That difficulty spike is no joke. At least the NG+ in that game retains some elements from the first playthrough, making it easier.

I need to run through the full Zelda series again at some point. I haven't replayed both Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks in ages; both are weaker Zelda games, but still decent IMO. Same with Skyward Sword.

Not a 3DS game per se, but I'm thinking of starting a playthrough of Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective on my OG 3DS system this weekend. I picked up the game several months ago new (paid a bit of a premium, but it wasn't bad) ever since NL ran that "Best DS Games" article. I hadn't heard of the game at all before that.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

NintendoByNature

@Tyranexx yep. First palace and getting to is simple. Then they drop the hammer on ya. At least you get the hammer shortly after death mountain and you can skip it after if need be.

NintendoByNature

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature Yep, Death Mountain. Aptly named in that game. I call it Save State Mountain. I think the second palace is arguably less difficult.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

NintendoByNature

@Tyranexx I love the palaces except those darned red guys who launch axes and maces at you. Theres also a really fast blue guy in the later palaces that jumps across the screen and you have to rush thru that as fast as possible rather than take him head on.

NintendoByNature

Eel

@Tyranexx omg you’re in for a treat, Ghost Trick is an amazing game. It’s so weird how it never got any sequels, but I guess some stories just don’t need them.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Anti-Matter

On NDS there was Imagine Babyz
Untitled

On 3DS there was Imagine Babyz too
Untitled

Now on Nintendo Switch, there is My Universe: My Baby 😆
Untitled

Looks like games like this still have the audiences.

Anti-Matter

Ralizah

@Tyranexx My copy of Ghost Trick was stolen before I had the opportunity to play it, along with four other games. Many moons ago, but I'm still salty about it, lol.

Enjoy! I hear it's excellent.

@JaxonH You're making me nostalgic. 2012 was a bit on the slow side, but 2013 was an AMAZING year to be a 3DS owner.

Congrats on so thoroughly pulling your life together, btw. I've lost friends entirely to drug addiction. It's not pretty.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature Oh yeah. Later parts of the game (after Palace Four for me) become pretty brutal. Especially the final Palace, but that's to be expected at that point. XD At least Thunderbird isn't too difficult if you know what you're doing. The final boss though...that's a test of game mastery mixed with sheer luck lol.

@Eel That is weird that there were never any more games and could be part of the reason why I'd never heard of Ghost Trick. Looks like it was a late DS release too, which could be why it flew a little under the radar. Consults the interwebs And the guy responsible for the Ace Attorney games directed it? Now I'm more excited! (Still need to admittedly play AA too; have the trilogy waiting on Switch)

@Ralizah Thanks! Looking forward to digging into the game tomorrow.

Stolen games? Man, that's terrible. I've lost a couple of games over time (eventually found), but having them stolen is on a different level. Were they in a case someone snagged?

NintendoByNature

@Tyranexx yep. Its rough all around. 3 crystals to go at least 😀. I'm really looking forward to link to the past

NintendoByNature

Cynas

@Tyranexx Ghost Trick is a great game for sure. A lot of the characters feel like they were pulled straight from a Phoenix Wright game, they have a very similar charm to them. If you enjoy that game you should try out 999 and the rest of the Zero Escape series if you haven't already. It's also a visual novel game with puzzle elements on the DS/3DS.

Cynas

Switch Friend Code: SW-5466-6715-6498

Ralizah

@Tyranexx Yeah, the case was snagged. Ghost Trick, Mario Kart 7, Senran Kagura 2, Etrian Odyssey Untold, and something else went with it.

...I don't carry my games around in my case anymore. Thankfully, my actual machine was safely in my possession. That would have been a far more annoying loss.

And it sounds like you're an AA virgin, too? That series is amazing. I envy you.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Anti-Matter

Btw, i have 4 game card cases to hold all my 3DS and NDS cartridges. 😛
1 White HORI 24
1 Blue HORI 24
1 Purple HORI Lunala edition 24
1 Blue square 16
Untitled

Untitled

All my HORI cases are already Full.
But my Blue 3DS game card case still have 2 empty slots.
And i need more HORI case 24 for my 3DS and NDS games.

Anti-Matter

Maaryotyme

@Anti-Matter those games look really fun.😉 That audience will always be there, parents buy there 3 year olds these junk.

Maaryotyme

Anti-Matter

I was spying the user @LetsaGO who always insulting me even i have pressed Ignore button on him. 🤨
Saying my games choice was a junk.
Who the heck are you ?!
Who the heck cares ?!
And if i caught @LetsaGO keep attacking or harassing me from my posts, i will report to moderator @Eel

Anti-Matter

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic