Forums

Topic: Bravely Default: The Flying Fairy

Posts 761 to 780 of 828

Ralizah

@Tyranexx The music isn't half as good in Bravely Second, though.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Xyphon22

This game might be number 1 on my list of games that I really wanted to get but never did. Liked the demo, always looked around for a good deal, but to this day it's pretty much never been cheaper than $40-$45 and I've never picked it up. So sadly unless Square decides to bring it (or hopefully a collection of the 2) to Switch before they release the new one, at this point it seems like all 3 will have to be placed into the "what could have been" pile.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

Banjo-

@Tyranexx @Ralizah I love the encounter slider and I use it a lot and also being able to absorb magic quite easily after you get some skill and black magic.

This is one of the RPGs I have enjoyed the most so I'm wondering what's wrong after Eternia. Don't tell me, I'll have to beat the game first. It's one game that has encouraged me to figure bosses vulnerabilities out easily because with the brave option you can throw a few spells. The side quests with icons (if you choose so) on the map is a great help. It's an enjoyable modernised RPG that I can enjoy without following a guide and that's why I love it.

Banjo-

Banjo-

@Xyphon22 I don't know how many copies were released but even second-hand they are expensive. Perhaps, wait for eShop sale?

Banjo-

Tyranexx

@Ralizah Haha, that's true! I'll give you that one. Though it is still decent. Just not too groundbreaking.

@Xyphon22 FWIW, Bravely Default II is unrelated to the previous two games in about everything but name...So they say anyway. Kinda like most of the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest releases.

I lucked out and was given Bravely Default as a gift a few years ago. Bravely Second is generally pretty cheap to pick up these days.

@BlueOcean I'm dying to drop even a subtle hint, but much of anything would be a spoiler at this point lol. All I can say is...pay special attention to what happens going forward, and don't be afraid to poke around a bit as the game continues past this chapter.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Banjo-

@Tyranexx @Ralizah Now I know what you mean... The end of chapter 4 was meh but chapter 5... what the heck is this?

I said that I consider this game a masterpiece not because of the artistic style (I don't like it) or the voice acting (no comments) but because the gameplay is a lot of fun, it's Japanese RPG but not tedious, the objectives are fairly clear and the music is wonderful. Of course, I'm going to beat it and see what's going on but it feels like I'm playing Game Plus already.

As a side note, jobs were a lot of fun but now aren't there too many? I know that they're optional but I don't know, I don't want to grind each job for each character.

I'll keep you posted.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Ralizah

@BlueOcean ๐Ÿ˜‚ Definitely keep us posted.

The first half of the game is really good. The second half...

...well, like I said, the last few boss fights are pretty cool.

You don't like the sort of painterly style of the environments? That was one of my favorite things about the game. It plays really well with the lower resolution display of the 3DS.

Or you could mean the chibi-ish character models, but I didn't really mind them in the context of a handheld game. Too bad they gave everyone noses in Bravely Default 2. Adding noses to deformed character models turns them from cute to creepy-looking pretty quickly.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Banjo-

@Ralizah I mean the chibi-ish character models. The painterly style of the environments is nice. Off-topic but I played Yoku's Island Express (Xbox One X, Game Pass) and it's beautiful. The environments are more realistic but it reminded me a little bit of Yoshi's Island. Actually, the title and font are also similar.

Back on topic, so Bravely Default 2 has creepy normal-nosed chibish characters, huh? ๐Ÿ˜‚ I'll play the sequel eventually. I use my 3DS more than my Switch.

Banjo-

Tyranexx

@BlueOcean Yes, do keep us posted.

I do think the chibi aesthetic seems to fit the game fairly well, even with the neat character art elsewhere. I don't really mind chibi styles as long as I feel it fits the world it's portraying. My favorite thing visually has got to be the picturesque environments. Especially with 3D mode enabled.

Jobs are meant to be played around with. Bravely Second makes them easier to grind. I never fully leveled up all the jobs (only a few), but some jobs definitely compliment each other rather well depending on what moves and abilities are unlocked. I suggest using a job guide if you want to streamline your experience a little. My personal favorite combo is Black Mage paired with Arcanist.

Anyway, as you proceed forward....Don't be afraid to explore around each following chapter a bit. There's more to them than meets the eye.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

Banjo-

@Tyranexx BlueOcean here. I'm back to Bravely Default. I'm at chapter 5 and I'm already tired or redoing all the same bosses with more HP. What happens after I clean all the bosses dots on the map?

Banjo-

Tyranexx

@Banjo- You can do one of two things. I'll dump everything into spoilers for those who may be reading and aren't this far into the game, or if you'd rather discover everything on your own.

1. I'm sure you've caught on by now that Airy isn't all sunshine and roses. You can confront her, but that may not be in your best interest unless you want to just finish the game.
2. You can keep going along with Airy's words. This will continue the boss loop, BUT there's more to the next loop than meets the eye. For example, if you poke around enough, you can earn a new Asterisk/Job as well as learn more about a certain character. Continuing the loops is worth your while, but explaining why goes into major spoilers. Personally, I didn't mind them much as they let me experiment with different job combos and level my team, and it is worth it to stick everything out IMO.

Also, if you go with option 2, pay special attention to Airy's wings.

Look at it this way: You're over halfway through the game.

Banjo-

@Tyranexx Thank you for your reply ๐Ÿ˜Š. Oh boy, so it's a long road of the same bosses ahead then. I'm not enjoying the game as much as up to chapter 4. Some bosses take a long time and aren't fun. I have ground automatically with the auto battle mode but it takes a very long time and still have to move and press buttons. To be honest, I had not realised that Airy isn't sunshine and roses and the script is so weird that her words haven't surprised me yet. She's been just a brat until now.

Banjo-

Tyranexx

@Banjo- No prob, happy to help! You're discovering why some don't care for the second half of the game. I do agree how the game handles it is a detriment - it could've hammered its point home by wasting less time - but it didn't bother me as much as most.

One job combo that really helped me in the boss loop is Arcanist/Black Mage; they can be a borderline lethal/broken combination for any enemy who can be poisoned, and at a low MP cost; I'll let you work out how. I'm honestly not surprised that they dropped the Arcanist job in Bravely Second due to this abuse lol.

If you go for Option #2 in my previous post, when continuing through the chapters/boss loops, subtle hints about Airy are dropped; not only within the game's dialogue, but in some subtle nods related to loading screens and so forth. These can be hard to catch if you're not paying attention! Continuing on also explains why the boss loops are a thing.

Banjo-

Hi every Bravely Default player and

@Tyranexx Hi, my friend! OK so I'm back to beat this game once and for all. I'm going use the combo you mentioned, Arcanist/Black Mage, what about the other three characters? (question 1) Where can I buy the best equipment (weapons and armour)? (question 2) It's like I have forgotten everything. I'm level 61 and chapter 5, of course, haha. What is the quickest way to beat the game now? (question 3) Airy is saying "Great! I'll do my best to make it work this time, so take me to the Holy Pilar!" There is one yellow marker on the map in the southeast corner and eleven blue markers that I assume are optional.

EDIT: I beat Alternis and started chapter 6.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Tyranexx

@Banjo- Hi, it's been awhile! I had to dust off the cobwebs in this section of my brain. XD Only one Arcanist/Black Mage would be necessary, though more than one would never hurt. The rest of your party makeup doesn't matter too much past that point, though I'd still recommend having a character play a main healing role and another a tank role on principle. Furthermore, that previous advice pertained more to boss grinding (which BD does get grindy, but the QoL improvements like the encounter slider make this less tedious IMO).

To address your questions in order:
1. IIRC a lot of the best equipment is actually found in a late game bonus dungeon that you won't have access to yet. Unfortunately my memory is foggy, but I found this thread helpful (minor spoilers): https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/729328-bravely-default/6... I would recommend playing through at least chapter 6.
2. The quickest way to beat the game would be the first path I discussed in post #771. However, if you care about some of the content, I would encourage at least playing through ch. 6.
3. IIRC the blue markers are optional. To get to the Holy Pillar, you'll need to beat all four bosses who guard the crystals again. This is where the Arcanist/Black Mage combo will come in handy for most of them (anything that isn't undead or immune to poison).
4. Silence is an annoying status condition. This can be cured either by sleeping in an inn or using the Echo Grass item.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Banjo-

I apologise for disappearing, I won't happen again. I know it's an old game but I promise to beat it this time ๐Ÿ˜‰. I got frustrated in chapter 5 and forgot about it ๐Ÿ˜…. I played Octopath Traveller on Series X and I loved it, much more than this game, to be honest.

I lost my 3DS charger some weeks ago and when I found it I was happy and turned the console on, for some reason I like more my New 3DS (small model) than my Switch Lite, only to remember my "currently playing" game: Bravely Default.

It was yesterday, at the end of that chapter (5) when it became evident that Airy is not "sunshine and roses". I also read about destroying one crystal to get the bad ending so don't worry about spoiling anything. I already know the two possible outcomes. I may create a new save file before destroying a crystal just to see it but it will take me to the final boss, I think, and I'm not prepared.

Q1) I suspect that the arcanist/black mage combo is because of some arcanist ability that lets you save MP while using Poison but what ability is that? Regarding the equipment, in the beginning of Chapter 6 you find a key, I found a list of the blue chests I can open now. Perhaps there are some good stuff!

Silence persists after battles, I think, and the last time I played I might been silenced. You know that feeling when you play something after a long time and it takes a while to know what to do, even if it's the most basic thing.

There are eight chapters and the final one. If I do that "bad ending" I will go to the final boss, right? Probably better to beat the rest of the chapters.

Q2) I have tried to have two characters focused on magic (Tiz and Agnes) and two focused on physical attacks (Ringabel and Edea). Highest level I have for each job, if you want to know how to advice me better:

SPIRITMASTER: 9 (Tiz)
TEMPLAR: 9 (Tiz, Agnes, Ringabel)
DARK KNIGHT: 7 (Agnes, Ringabel)
?:
?:
FREELANCER: 9 (Edea)
MONK: 11 (Edea)
WHITE MAGIC: 10 (Agnes) and 9 (Tiz)
BLACK MAGIC: 10 (Tiz, Agnes)
KNIGHT: 9 (Edea)
THIEF: 9 (Edea)
MERCHANT: 8 (Edea)
SPELL FENCER: 10 (Agnes, Edea)
TIME MAGE: 10 (Tiz)
RANGER: 11 (Ringabel)
SUMMONER: 10 (Agnes) I don't see the point of choosing this job.
VALKYRIE: 12 (Edea)
RED MAGE: 11 (Agnes)
SALVE-MAKER: 10 (Tiz)
PERFORMER: 11 (Ringabel)
PIRATE: 9 (Tiz, Ringabel)
NINJA: 9 (Ringabel)
SWORDMASTER: 9 (Ringabel)
ARCANIST: 8 (Ringabel)

There are many abilities I don't have because of the level of my jobs. I need that "Arise" magic I read about yesterday but I need to have a white mage at level 13. Too many, too many jobs and too much grinding in this game...

Banjo-

Tyranexx

@Banjo- Friendly warning before getting into the meat of my post; I don't use the forums as much as I used to due to IRL and time prioritization, so sometimes it can be days before I respond. I assure you I'm not dead if that happens.

I would indeed copy your save file if you intend to see both endings...or just as a general backup in case things do go very wrong. The bad ending will take you straight to the final boss without needing to do the other chapters, though this sequence isn't nearly as satisfying. The good ending, without spoiling much, is longer (after you get to the end of Chapter 8!) but has some of the 4th wall breaking that I love in the Bravely series. I am glad you're open to trying the later chapters; 6 in particular is useful since you can pick up a couple more jobs.

1. The reasons Arcanist/Black Mage work so well together, besides some great passive buffs, are the Poison + Exterminate (my favorite) and Sleep + Twilight spell combos. As mentioned before, beware of enemies who resist Dark magic. There's also a way to group cast these for some easy fights IIRC. Black Mage is a decent class in the early game, but other classes become more useful as you continue on. As for Silence, it annoyingly does persist after battles. Visit inns when you need to, or keep an ample supply of Echo Grass.

2. It's admittedly been several years now since I played, but Agnes and Ringabel were my casting focuses, where Edea was mostly physical and Tiz...was sort of my experimental guinea pig, but I think he had a slight physical focus too. I know I used Spell Fencer, Swordmaster, and Ranger quite a bit, and Templar was fun on Edea. It's hard to go too wrong with any job combos that complement each other, but I found the following resources helpful:
Source 1
Source 2

I used the encounter slider to help with grinding, that way I could run into mobs almost constantly and stop them to run to an inn when my group had had enough.

Bork

I loved the first two. Just started and fnished Bravely Second last year.

Bork

Banjo-

@Tyranexx Thank you for your replies, I appreciate them always ๐Ÿ‘Œ. I beat all the chapters, skipping the asterisk battles when they start including reinforcements. I mastered some jobs: spiritmaster (Tiz), white mage (Agnes), ranger (Ringabel) and valkyrie (Edea). They were useful for the first and second forms of the final boss. I learned some useful abilities like enigma, fairy ward, arise... to protect from elemental attacks and ailments. Characters are level 71 and difficulty is set to "easy" (easy? LOL).

I reached the final form of the final boss. I created some strategy using a few guides: enigma, fairy ward, hastega... Even so, it's impossible, after some turns she finds a way to crush 2-4 members with physical damage combined with something else. I really hate the second half of this game but yet I'm so close to beating this beast... Someone said,

MultiKoopa wrote:

You guys are forgetting something important. The insanely stupid, completely unforgivable thing that happens halfway through the first game. Like, yeah, I loved the first game in spite of that stupid thing, but it's maybe one of the worst things I've ever seen a video game do. And this is coming from somebody who's played all the Kingdom Hearts games.

Despite my love of the first game, I probably wouldn't have bothered with Bravely Second if I hadn't been told that it does NOT do the same thing as the first game halfway through. I'm told there's still some kind of gimmick, but that it's nothing like the first game's.

So... Honestly, I can't even really recommend Bravely Default to people even though I love the game. Because I cannot defend that thing halfway through. It really just brings the whole game down and I can completely understand if somebody encounters it and goes "screw this game, it can go to hell."

If you care about the story, just look up a plot summary somewhere and enjoy the 2nd game, which seems better right off the bat.

Well, yeah, I completely agree. Coincidentally, I have also beaten all Kingdom Hearts games, including collections, DS games and excluding mobile.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Tyranexx

@Banjo- Oof, I completely forgot to mention that I also used the Valkyrie job for Edea! I might've paired that up with Templar at one point IIRC. Kudos to you for keeping at it. Those job combinations all seem very good. The best advice I can give at this point is to use buffs (ESPECIALLY Death Resistance) and debuffs to the best of your ability, keep plenty of useful items, and persevere. It probably wouldn't hurt to grind the team up a bit more either; I think my entire group was sitting around the level 80 mark when I tackled the true final boss (I assume that's who you're going for? You're a bit vague, though probably intentionally.) I went back later and did the "bad" ending.

I don't disagree with that earlier post you quoted, though in my case the opposite happened; I knew, vaguely, what this game would pull in advance, so consequently I was less annoyed when it happened. I also agree that Bravely Second is the better game; it honestly surprises me when some hold it in lower regard to this entry. I can't speak for Bravely Default II yet though. I do own that one but haven't played it yet.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic