Super Mario Bros Crossover Hitting Version 3.0 This Year

Posted by Damien McFerran

Resurrects Hudsonsoft's obscure Sharp X1 title

Remember Super Mario Bros. Crossover? It was a fan-made title which allowed Nintendo lovers to play the classic Super Mario Bros. with characters from other games, including Metroid, Castlevania and Mega Man.

The game is hitting version 3.0 this year, with developer Jay Pavlina and his team at Exploding Rabbit taking one of the most obscure entries in the entire Super Mario series and giving it the crossover treatment.

Super Mario Bros. Crossover 3.0 is based on Super Mario Bros. Special, a 1986 effort by Hudsonsoft for the Sharp X1 computer, which was popular in Japan at the time. As before, you can play through the game with characters from other famous gaming franchises.

Naturally, there's no way that Pavlina can profit from this project as it showcases a blatant disregard for copyright, but Exploding Rabbit's own Super Retro Squad is coming in 2014, and should be one to watch out for. Perhaps it will even get a Wii U eShop release?

[via eurogamer.net]

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Getting to play Super Mario Bros. as Mega Man, Link, Samus, or Sophia would be great. I wish this could release on the Wii U or 3DS. But the video kind of got confusing because it kept evolving and switching games... Would the style actually change like that as you were playing through it?

Anyway, this game looks 1,000,000,000,000 times more fun than the original Super Mario Bros. to me.

Assassinated

Assassinated said:

There's about zero chance of this coming to WiiU. They don't have the rights to the characters they're using. As such this could only be a freeware game on PC.
EDIT: Especially considering Nintendo is still trying to get money for the bare bones games.

DrVollKornBrot

DrVollKornBrot said:

I think it's awesome that he still improves Crossover, it's one of my favorite flash games since it came out.

@ Five-seveN
I doubt the style will chnage all the time. Check the recent version of the game, you can set your preferred style before you start the game and while playing in the options menu.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@DrVollKornBrot I WOULD check the recent version, but I don't have it or the accessories to play games on a PC (assuming this is a PC game or is it not?). Now I almost wish I did. Well, I can still play those franchises separately from each other. I really want the original Blaster Master to release on the 3DS because it already has in Europe.

SteveW

SteveW said:

I'd be more excited about this if we could play it on an actual console....

Rafie

Rafie said:

If this gets a nod from Nintendo staff for release. I can see this being one of the biggest downloads in ANY console history. I'm talking more than Fez, Minecraft, etc!!

PixelRobin

PixelRobin said:

@Five-seveN it is a flash game. You play it online. I think you need adobe, but if you can watch youtube, you can probably play this. It is an exact replica of supee mario bros except w/ other characters.

Henmii

Henmii said:

So my beloved Hudson-soft did a bad-colored version of Super Mario bros on a Sharp computer?! I never knew that!!

SonicTheBluBlur

SonicTheBluBlur said:

Whenever I play, I generally use the Atari 2600 graphics and sound. The Atari 2600 version of the SMB main theme is playing in my head as I type this on my 3DS XL.