Wii Sports Resort Goes Big In Japan

Posted by Damien McFerran

360,000 copies sold in first week

The sequel to Nintendo's astonishingly successful Wii Sports has smashed its way to the top of the Japanese sales charts, according to figures released by Media Create.

Wii Sports Resort sold a whopping 360,000 copies in its first week on sale.

According to Japanese magazine Famitsu, 353,000 of that figure were shifted in its first four days at retail, making it the third-fastest selling Wii game in Japan (Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Mario Kart Wii being the first and second).

The second-placed title was Tomodachi Connection on the DS, which sold 72,000 units.

[via gamasutra.com]

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

The more I see of this game, the more I want it! It looks fantastic and I can't wait to play it!:)

MickEiA

MickEiA said:

I think it's overpriced even though it includes WM+ it is $99 where Grand Slam Tennis is $78(includes WM+)

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

Wii Sports Resort sold a whopping 360,000 copies in its first week on sale.

The first four days were all that fell into that first week, Famitsu and MediaCreate differ on their stats but they've tracked the same period of time there.

Hazuki

Hazuki said:

am looking so forward to this game. Gonna get this and M+ on the 26th.

Supermarioman

Supermarioman said:

Its interesting to the fact that Nintendo decided to put Bowling in this version. I think this because bowling was considered the best game in the original Wii Sports by many and I'm pretty sure its in there just so people know that they have a reason to buy and play it more than once and also for a more realistic bowling experience, I will be buying this sometime, but not when it first comes out.
deadly.by.design:
No I don't thank that this will be cheap like Wii Play's bundle, Nintendo actually put effort into this game, unlike Wii Play.

TourianTourist

TourianTourist said:

This is good, very good. Nintendo has to become confident with MotionPlus, so they start making more MotionPlus powered games.

Ren

Ren said:

swordfighting makes the whole thing worth it. Anyone out there have an import and any impressions? like can anything be played mulitplayer, and if so can it be done without M+? (i.e. 1 on 1 games without M+ before we're able to get a second one).
It's out there already but I've seen little anywhere in the way of gameplay video or impressions from users. With that many sold I'd think someone has an import by now that might give us the real scoop.

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

This is surprising to me. I tried Grand Slam Tennis with WM+ and wasn't too impressed, so I decided to take my pre-order off of Resort. However, I am eager to see what reviewers think...maybe i'll get it in Winter. The only thing I fear about another Wii Sports title, is that it will be fun for a week, and then gather dust from then on.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

It has been reviewed in Official Nintendo Magazine at 94% but read more like a 96% to me. Sounds great.....in case you're wandering, ONM are quite impartial and generally don't hand out 90%+, "gold award" ratings easily. Its significantly better than Wii Sports and appears to have huge replay value.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Well my pre-order list is bumper and it contains a fairly wide variety of games. My most keenly anticipated however is Wii Sports Resort.

SSBbrawler08

SSBbrawler08 said:

Definitely a YES for me, I spent two months playing the Wii Sports since i had no other Wii games, I was ADDICTED....cant wait!