Scrapped House of the Dead: Overkill Artwork Surfaces

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

Design studio shows off unused box and promotional art.

SEGA's House of the Dead: Overkill took the franchise in a whole new art direction, pushing a cheesy grindhouse aesthetic to the limit. The box art and in-game posters reeked of 70's exploitation movies, strengthening the game's much-needed personality.

Fluidesign, the studio behind all the tacky posters, logos and box art, have posted a Flickr gallery with outtake art for the game. The design evolution is interesting to see, as the characters went from a more realistic appearance to the comic book-y look finally settled upon.

Do you prefer the final art or one of the earlier prototypes? Let us know in the comments!

From the web

brandonbwii said:

nintendo wifi was once planned? I really wanted leaderboards, it didn't seem as much as a complete game without it, eventhough I rarely use them, lol.

Egg_miester said:

i didn't like the one they used but the first and 3rd one from prototype looked good i guess it doesn't matter now

Machu said:

I prefer the original box, I like that one. It has a tag line on the cover... "this is like something out of a videogame!"

Great game. Splat!

Ricardo91 said:

I like the second one too. And I've noticed that all three boxes have a Wi-Fi icon on them. Does that mean the game was gonna be online?

JonWahlgren said:

@Ricardo91: Nah, I think the WiFi icon is just placeholder, in case the developers wanted to do something online they could stick the logo in those places.

Terra said:

I much prefer the one they used, but out of the those other 3, I prefer the one to the right. The other two don't look that good to me

paulcmnt said:

The second one is neat. Also, it seems that House of the Dead was initially intended to be a family friendly game.

Quimby said:

I wasn't a huge fan of the 'feel' of this game, but I'll take a new HOTD game anyday. Even though I usually enjoy nitpicking at the poor choices of the corporate types, I must admit the cover they chose was a decent choice. The centre one that everyone seems to like is a little tacky for me...

3+ ??!!!

I didn't really like the game when I played it my mate's house. Good game that tried way way too hard to shock. Didn't shock me. Maybe if I was an 18 year old I'd have a laugh, but I,m not!