Scribblenauts Required Dedicated "Reading Team"

Posted by James Newton

Five guys spent six months doing nothing but reading.

Those vaunted 10,000 conjurable in-game items in Scribblenauts had to come from somewhere, but we had always assumed they came from the fevered minds of the development team, bouncing ideas off each other and being all "creative". As it turns out, the truth is far less interesting.

Developers 5th Cell - the talented minds and artists behind the DS's Lock's Quest and Drawn to Life - actually had a dedicated team of five staff spend six months doing nothing but research. That essentially entailed reading a lot of books, magazines, websites and anything else to glean ideas for the bizarre and comical items featured in the game.

Putting the equivalent of two-and-a-half man years' worth of reading into the game seems to have paid off - first impressions from other press sites has been very positive so far. Rest assured we'll bring you a full review of Scribblenauts as soon as it hits DS later this year.

[via kotaku.com]

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

Thanks for doing an article on this game James! I absolutely cannot wait for this to come out! It looks really awesome! Easily one of my most anticipated games of 2009!:)

James

James said:

You're welcome! I'll be honest, it's totally slipped my radar even though I really liked Lock's Quest, but having seen it in action I'm really intrigued by it, even though I doubt my vocabulary is enough to come up with the 10,000 words they've included!

y2josh

y2josh said:

I may get this. On second thought, I may just go back and get Lock's Quest. It looks more enjoyable to me. And oOoOo new picture of the Pros-man, the Pros-meister has a new picola, maybe he made some copies oOoOo

PopeReal

PopeReal said:

Day 1 purchase. My most wanted game.

Any game with fail cat is full of win.

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

NeoGAF is a usable word, automatic 10/10 if it spawns a raging fanboy :p

i8cookie

i8cookie said:

of course they did that, I swear the guys said that they were doing that in an early interview i read on IGN. I wouldn't be surprised if they just sat there with a dictionary going through A-Z typing in all the nouns.

JimLad

JimLad said:

Can't wait for this game, I really hope they make some kind of freestyle mode like Little Big Planet.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

After reading about the E3 impressions from various sites I"m very excited about the game.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

This game makes me consider finally getting a DS. Or at least buying one for my girlfriend, thereby accruing many bonus points, and then "borrowing" it after she tires of Nintendogs.

GreenBanana

GreenBanana said:

This sounds fun. ... It does. Leave it to me to find something they'll have overlooked, though.