Drawn to Life Brushes Onto Wii

Posted by James Newton

Can we expect a Wii Palette accessory?

The original Drawn to Life games were developed by DS mainstays 5th Cell, and although they're currently busy devouring the whole world's written texts, that doesn't mean the series is going to be erased. Publishers THQ have recently unveiled a sequel, handled by Planet Moon, is heading to the Wii and DS before the year's out.

Titled Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter, the game follows on from the draw 'em up action of the original titles but this time replaces the DS stylus with the Wii Remote, which you use to draw objects as you progress through the game. How the title plays with a Remote instead of a stylus remains to be seen - can it be as tactile as the original's sensation of pen-on-screen?

Fleshing out the original's action is the addition of Action Drawing, which function as "inks" that bestow special properties on the drawings you lovingly craft - Physical Ink, for example, gives your drawings weight and physical properties, whereas Sticky Ink lets you create those platforming game staples: floating platforms (hey, guess we know how they work now...)

Naturally for a Wii title, Planet Moon are including some multi-player minigames, although sadly there's no online art-sharing mode planned. It'd be nice to be able to export your handiwork to the Wii Message Board or submit to THQ as an online gallery, but sadly it looks like you'll have to be content with telling us all about your masterpieces here on NintendoLife.

Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter is currently pencilled in for an Autumn 2009 release on Wii and DS, and we'll fill in the gaps as it gets nearer.

[via kotaku.com]

Related Games

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I never played the original game on DS. Perhaps I'll give this one a try. I'm more excited about Scribblenauts though!:)

James

James said:

I actually quite liked the first one, although there wasn't as much platforming as I'd hoped for or expected. It's worth a go if you see it in a bargain bin!

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

I don't think I was the target audience for the original, but it was still quite fun. Plus all my little cousins loved it. This sequel seems to be a nice improvment, even if the additions seem fairly minimal.

Roopa132

Roopa132 said:

I don't have a wii anymore but as far as I can remember the Wiimote isn't that precisely... Or maybe that's just me lol
But I think a game whose main part is drawing is better off on a console you control with a "pen" than on a console you control with a remote... I don't think you can draw that well with a wiimote...

motang

motang said:

IGN was horsing around, but they called this in their last podcast...or was it the on before that. Either way exciting news!

MarkyVigoroth

MarkyVigoroth said:

Autumn 2009? That is relatively quick!
If you ask me, I think doing drawings on Wii would be harder than on the DS (unless 3-D rendering is involved).

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Oh yeah, I heard about this last Week. This and Scribblenauts are the main drawing-related games I'm looking forward to.

Atlantis1982

Atlantis1982 said:

Think they should combine this and Scribblenauts for the most (censored)in bad(censored) EPIC GAME of the CENTURY! :D

Cheesy

Cheesy said:

Wow, 5th Cell is a really... creative company. And by "creative", I mean that they allow you to artistically create pretty much whatever you want. Also, they haven't let us down.

BTW, more interested in Scribblenauts than this, though this looks promising.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

after playing the DS version, i gotta say i am not interested in this in the slightest. it was fun to design my own level objects at first, sure, but it got so annoying after a while. D:

JimLad

JimLad said:

They should add sharing functionality, and plenty of it.
Expand on the idea of drawing your own character, hell let people design the whole levels (not just certain objects) and create objectives/dialogue so they can share their 'games' with others over the internet.
It was good for a DS game, but it needs more to offer on a console release.
Of course it'll never happen though with people making everything out of penis'.
I'd like to see more DS games come to Wii though, there's so many good ideas on there already.

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

To be honest I can't draw good pictures on the DS to save my life, but draw comics on paper quite fine. The screen just feels too slippery compared to paper. But it was a great game and it will be interesting to see this on Wii without 5th Cell behind it

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Agree with first comment. This looks good, but Scribblenauts looks like insanity.

BlueFlameBat

BlueFlameBat said:

It is not easy for me to paint using the Wii remote. Maybe there compatibility with the DS for that purpose will be optional.

Only for that purpose though. I hate it when you can't access certain features because you don't have both versions of a game!