Out Today: Sonic & The Black Knight

Posted by Anthony Dickens

SEGA unleash Sonic in 3D yet again across Europe from today, but is it any good? Early reports suggest not...

Created by Sonic Team in Japan, this innovative game takes Sonic into a medieval world and arms him with a sword to aid in his effort to save the day. Sonic and the Black Knight will provide Sonic fans with an irresistible cast of characters and teach them all what it takes to be a true hero and the ultimate knight. With a series of missions taking place in stunning Arthurian-inspired locations, Sonic and the Black Knight promises to offer a fast-paced adventure that gamers of all ages will enjoy.

It seems whenever another Sonic game comes around we start with mixed feelings, we love the old Sonic games (even as Nintendo fans) but there simply is something missing from recent titles. We're yet to give this one a test drive so await our review, but some of the other industry "giants" haven't been very favourable so far, IGN:

This is a Sonic game that craps all over everything that has ever made the series interesting and then adds pointless waggle.

Hmm, we'll wait and see for ourselves but its not looking too promising, Sonic and the Black Knight is out now across the planet.

[via metacritic.com]

Dume

Dume said:

Despite this game's downfall, I really hope the visual design team gets picked up to do an amazing project. They've got talent!

Nintendork

Nintendork said:

Ign gone down the crapper for years. Don't pay attention to their crap.

antdickensAdmin

antdickens said:

I really quite liked parts of Sonic and the Secret Rings - I'm still hopeful this has something right going for it.

Nanaki

Nanaki said:

Poor Sonic, he's really found the 3D generation hard. I hope it's decent, but expect it not to be.

Neomega

Neomega said:

This is a great game!

7/10 from me!

Better than unleashed and secret rings.
Enough praise!

This isn't good enough though we need more responsive controls, and more depth.

Clayfrd

Clayfrd said:

@Nintendork - Chill out!

Hmm. I think I'll give this a pass. It never ceases to amaze me how Sonic 2 on Genesis was one of the greatest games ever, but since the dawn of the 21st century, he has been the biggest disgrace ever... how sad.

James

James said:

Needless to say, I'll be getting this as soon as it comes down in price. I just gotta have me some sword-and-Sonic action.

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

Sigh... won't Sega ever learn that Sonic is not Zelda?
First we get Sonic Unleashed where he turns into a wolf, sound familiar? (coughtwilightprincesscough) Now he gets a sword and gets to run around in a medieval themed land.

I think this is more than a flesh wound for Sega.

(First Monty Python reference FTW!)