Japanese Virtual Console list - October 2007

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

Not too much big titles in Japan's list for next month, but there's quite a few games that could be coming to Europe and America as well. Have a look!

Japan's list for October:

Famicom:

• Esper Dream (October 2nd)
  • Zanac
  • Famicom Tantei Club Part I
  • River City Ransom/Street Gangs
  • Hanjuku Hero

Super Famicom:

• Cybernator
  • Donkey Kong Country 2

Nintendo 64:

• Yoshi's Story

Sega Mega Drive:

• Streets of Rage 3 (October 2nd)
  • Alien Soldier
  • Sonic 3D Blast/Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island
  • Dyna Bros. 2 Special

PC Engine:

• Genpei Toumaden (Japan-only prequel of Samurai Ghost)
  • Power Golf
  • Ys Book I & II (CD)
  • Cho Aniki (CD)
  • Gradius II (CD)

Neo Geo:

• Art of Fighting
  • Samurai Shodown
  • Blue's Journey

Jetstargamer

Jetstargamer said:

Freaking Cho Aniki! I remeber reading a webpage about how Weird this game is...cant wait for it to come out in the UK!
Also River City Ransom...Classic...:)

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

ouenben

ouenben said:

Sonic 3d? Bah I want sonic & knuckles so hopefully Sonic 3 & knuckles can be released!

alvieao

alvieao said:

If Sin and Punishment came out in English, why didn't we North American gamers get a translated version of Bare Knuckle III (JP version of SOR3)? Japan once again gets the superior version of Streets of Rage 3. NOA's quality control? Unfavorable at this moment...

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Al, a number of reasons. There was no special event going on in america at the time of Streets of Rage III's VC release. Sin & Punishment is quite special that never saw release outside of Japan previously, there's talk that there was a unlockable english mode when the N64 game was completed which had been unlocked as standard for the VC release (can't confirm this though), Virtual Console is about releasing games from our past in their original form - Nintendo and Sega rarely make changes to a game to make it more fun, only due to lacking licenses [Tecmo Bowl and Wave Race 64] and hardware incompatibility [Kid Icarus].

Want to blame someone? Blame Sega '94. Leave Nintendo and Sega '07 out of this.

__Super VG Bros

Super VG Bros said:

I feel so bad for Japan. Look how much they are getting the shaft! We already have everything they're getting, and nothing they are getting is really that good. DKC2 and Streets of Rage might make the exception.

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

Haha, I'd suggest you'd look at what Japan already has. These are a few minor exceptions, but they've got loads of games we don't, and they got a ton earlier than us!

alvieao

alvieao said:

Bass X: I was only frustrated; Virtual Console is after all Virtual Console. I can't get what you guys have so far, but I'll accept everything as it is for the moment. I would blame Sega in 1994, but I never said Streets of Rage 3 was a bad game.

As for Sin and Punishment, I stand by my comments in the previous Wii news regarding the game prior to and post-release. It's true that Japan is getting some crap now... what a turn.

v404

v404 said:

I hope that means River City Ransom will makes its way Stateside soon.. That & Pilot Wings are my 2 most wanted..

__whiteshadow

whiteshadow said:

Will Nintendo please just release the F-Zero X expansion kit, its a crime to let something that good go to waste

sfog

sfog said:

"Thanks again, Ben (You told me about Bases Loaded last month too, right?). I honestly don't know much about all the sports games!"

You're welcome. I like to keep track of games which could potentially come to the US since Nintendo is bad about announcing them ahead of time. I'll chime in when/if your Japanese lists need work, but you've been doing great so far.

JNoodles

JNoodles said:

Things US and EU don't have that are awesome:

Famicom/NES:
Famicom Tantei Club Part I
River City Ransom

Super Famicom/SNES:
Cybernator

Genesis/Mega Drive:
Alien Soldier
Sonic 3D Blast

TurboGrafx-6/PC-Engine/TurboGrafx-CD:
Ys Book I & II
Cho Aniki (Despite all looks)
Gradius II

NeoGeo:
Samurai Shodown
Art of Fighting
Blue's Journey

morphballer

morphballer said:

It's good to see Turbo CD games come out for the VC. This gives me some hope that not only will I finally be able to play Dracula X: Rondo of Blood but we may get more CD based games in the future.

Viral

Viral said:

I only wish that they'd release the following games soon :
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario All Stars (why download all those Mario games when you can just get this one?)
Sonic & Knuckles
Contra III : Alien Wars
Earthbound

Nintendo needs to also include Gameboy and Gameboy Color games into the mix since my Nintendo DS doesn't play those games and really they need to add :

Legend of Zelda : Oracle Of Ages
Legend of Zelda : Oracle Of Seasons

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Brian.
Super Mario RPG - its coming. But Square have expressed a lack of interest in the Virtual Console so the "when" is still hard to predict.
Super Mario All*Stars - Nintendo would rather make money of the NES games first than to release this. Expect it long after SMB3 has been released.
Sonic & Knuckles - Sonic 3 has only just been released. Sequels don't tend to be released soon afterwards, wait a while.
Contra III - already out in its european form Super Probotector.
Earthbound - its not even on the coming soon lists yet. impossible to say when.

Its expected that Nintendo will make a "Virtual Handheld" for the next handheld machine. You should really pick up a second hand GBA SP to play those GB/GBC games. I bought one the other day for £15 to replace my broken one.

__Mii be you

Mii be you said:

River City Ransom has the same game elements as Mystical Ninja and Paper Mario(both on the VC).

__Bryan

Bryan said:

Aw, and I was hoping Fester's Quest would make it in October, considering its the month for Halloween and scary stuff. ;)

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Licensed games are unlikely but not impossible.

Konami could release the original NES Turtles because they kept the license all this time.

SunSoft who developed and published the Fester's Quest game haven't released an Addam's Family game in many years (I think that's the only one they ever did) so they won't have the license still to re-release it on VC, plus I can't see many companies getting a license back just to release a game on VC.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Hm. I wonder if TurboGrafx CD games will be at the same cost as regular TurboGrafx games...

alvieao

alvieao said:

Bass X: Maybe Nintendo and Sega could have released Bare Knuckle III (JP version of SOR 3) as a regional import title. I mean, everyone would play Streets of Rage 3 in its correct glory instead of the unfavorable one...

lavkian

lavkian said:

The only other SNES game required at this point is Terranigma. If Europe gets that (again) and we don't (again) someone is going to die.