Europe VC Releases - 3rd August - Sega Week - Shinobi III

Posted by Darren Calvert

Its Sega week again folks! This time the big S has gone all out and given its fans some of the greats from its back catalogue. A good variety too so there's probably something for everyone here no matter what you taste is.

First in my list this week is the excellent Shinobi III. It is strange that the original Megadrive Revenge of Shinobi wasn't released first but when both of the games are so great it is hard to complain. Shinobi III builds upon the original with a running dash move and wall bouncing technique ala Ninja Gaiden. It's a solid game and deserves a look for all action fans.

Role playing games don't come much better than Sega's Shining Force. The plot is pretty standard RPG stuff, with the usual serving of young heroes, ugly looking foes and an all-powerful bad guy intent on taking over the world. However, it's handled with such flair that it remains intriguing despite the generally cliched nature of the story If you want a game that you can really sink your teeth into then make sure you download this.

As if all that wasn't enough Sega also give Europe Dynamite Headdy this week as well. Talk about a good week! Dynamite Headdy isn't just a great game, and one of the best platformers on the Mega Drive, it also has the distinct advantage of being a new experience to most people, one that's well worth the time and effort. Highly recommended.

Something always has to come along and ruin a good week and this time the turkey is Drop Off on the Turbografx. The VCA's opinion that this is an unplayable pile of dog mess but there are some who like this game it seems. Thing Breakout meets Puzzle Bobble and gives birth to a deformed child. Run away!

Check out this week's reviews:

Shinobi III - Sega Megadrive - 800 Points

Shining Force - Sega Megadrive - 800 Points

Dynamite Headdy - Sega Megadrive - 800 Points

Drop Off - Turbografx - 600 Points

eltomo

eltomo said:

I cant tell if I want to get Shinobi... I might keep holding out for Ninja Gaiden as they look practicaly the same game... and I still cant work out whats so great about Shining Force!

Help?!

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

Shinobi III and Ninja Gaiden are completely different. Take a risk my friend, live life on the edge!

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

Yeah, first. ^^

This could easily be the best SEGA day so far. Great....I loved Dynamite Headdy back in the days.

__merc2k

merc2k said:

MMMM Interesting Sega week. I wonder if Ninty will release some awsome Nintendo stuff next week. Shinobi does rule though!!

Yoshi175

Yoshi175 said:

Dynamite Heady is great, I've played revenge of Shinobi and it wasn't good, it just seemed like an under average platform game

__Craig

Craig said:

Shiniobi III is a classic, incredible control. I love the music in the horseback section of the second stage.

__that videogame guy

that videogame guy said:

shinobi 3 is a FANTASTIC addition, the gameplay is solid and the soundtrack is absolutely incredible, i hope we get this game on mon

__Razor61289

Razor61289 said:

Dynamite Heady, Never heard of it. Looks good though. Might be good. Love games like this as they are very pick up and play. DONWLOAD IT NOW!

Raganara

Raganara said:

Yeah finaly, we had Shining Force, it is one of the best Games I've ever played, the graphich for the Time was very good, and the Story is even today one of the best. And Shinobi is worth a download, I was not shure , but now I played it a few hours and cant get enough.

With Shining Force and Shinobi I would not get much sleep this Weekend and in the following weeks.

__John Wood

John Wood said:

Shining Force was a game I played way back in the day. Loved it. Here's wishing for Shining Force 2 to be released on VC now.