Forums

Topic: Nintendo 64 games

Posts 101 to 120 of 126

Aldebaran

GoneFishin wrote:

There's no sign that they've bothered to emulate the Super FX coprocessor that was aboard such cartridges. So with Yoshi's Island available by way of the GBA port, I wouldn't hold out much hope for that to be rectified.

The Chips Super Fx 1 and Super FX2 are well emulated since a long time ago in different versions of Windows, Linux, Android, OS and other emulators so I stilly don't get why Nintendo hasn't manage to emulate them properly (outside a licencing issues I have no clue) even Capcom managed to emulated their Chip C4 (Mega Man X2 and Mega Man X3) quite well in the Wii U Virtual Console.

Nintendo Network ID: Aldebaran20

Ryno

Super FX games are never coming. Argonauts games, the Super FX chip developer, no longer exists. Nintendo would have released Star Fox and the orignal Super NES Yoshi's Island by now if it were not an issue.

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

Atariboy

Ryno wrote:

Super FX games are never coming. Argonauts games, the Super FX chip developer, no longer exists. Nintendo would have released Star Fox and the orignal Super NES Yoshi's Island by now if it were not an issue.

That's just speculation, just like all the 'expert' opinions about Zapper releases never reappearing.

Super FX rights are irrelevant since all Super FX related patents are now expired, which is fact rather speculation. So if rights with the chip ever was an issue (We're not privy to such a detail), it isn't one today. Too much time has passed and it's now in the public domain. And no reason to think that they ever held any software rights to Nintendo's Super FX related software, and even if they did, Nintendo surely would've picked them up when their assets were disposed of and auctioned off to the highest bidder on the eve of the release of the Wii and the launch of the Virtual Console that promised to give many classic Nintendo releases a new life.

Super FX emulation isn't easy. It's quite a powerful piece of hardware for its day, far more capable and complicated than other SuperNes enhancement chips, and one that the homebrewers only mastered fairly recently with fully accurate emulation. It seems far more likely that with the arrival of hardware that could emulate it to Nintendo's satisfaction, the critical mass with software to justify the extra effort simply wasn't there.

Yoshi's Island is already here in fine form which surely satisfies the vast majority of individuals, leaving to the best of my recollection, three potential 1st party Super FX candidates that aren't otherwise represented here. Two of those are games that are often viewed today as merely aged tech demos that are unplayable due to their graphical primitiveness (A charge I personally deny, but one that is common none the less), and the 3rd is something that is hardly a sure thing even if they were to roll out Super FX emulation since it was never before released.

There's no evidence of any rights issues holding it up. And just like Zapper titles, their appearance could always be imminent, regardless of what stories some fans have concocted to explain their absence.

Edited on by Atariboy

Atariboy

DJPort2008

GoneFishin wrote:

Ryno wrote:

That's just speculation, just like all the 'expert' opinions about Zapper releases never reappearing.

Super FX rights are irrelevant since all Super FX related patents are now expired, which is fact rather speculation. So if rights with the chip ever was an issue (We're not privy to such a detail), it isn't one today. Too much time has passed and it's now in the public domain. And no reason to think that they ever held any software rights to Nintendo's Super FX related software, and even if they did, Nintendo surely would've picked them up when their assets were disposed of and auctioned off to the highest bidder on the eve of the release of the Wii and the launch of the Virtual Console that promised to give many classic Nintendo releases a new life.

Super FX emulation isn't easy. It's quite a powerful piece of hardware for its day, far more capable and complicated than other SuperNes enhancement chips, and one that the homebrewers only mastered fairly recently with fully accurate emulation. It seems far more likely that with the arrival of hardware that could emulate it to Nintendo's satisfaction, the critical mass with software to justify the extra effort simply wasn't there.

Yoshi's Island is already here in fine form which surely satisfies the vast majority of individuals, leaving to the best of my recollection, three potential 1st party Super FX candidates that aren't otherwise represented here. Two of those are games that are often viewed today as merely aged tech demos that are unplayable due to their graphical primitiveness (A charge I personally deny, but one that is common none the less), and the 3rd is something that is hardly a sure thing even if they were to roll out Super FX emulation since it was never before released.

There's no evidence of any rights issues holding it up. And just like Zapper titles, their appearance could always be imminent, regardless of what stories some fans have concocted to explain their absence.

In your second to last paragraph, which three games are you talking about? (I presume the third is Star Fox and one of the first two is Stunt Race FX, am I right?)

DJPort2008

Atariboy

The third is Star Fox 2, which was never released.

To the best of my knowledge, there were four 1st party Super FX projects. Those titles are Yoshi's Island (Which was ported to the GBA a few years later, with that version available today on the Wii U's VC), Star Fox, Stunt Race FX, and the largely complete but never released Star Fox 2.

So that leaves Nintendo with three possible 1st party projects to sell to people if they were to introduce Super FX emulation, with a few double dippers with a 4th title. And like I said, many people are harsh towards Star Fox and Stunt Race FX these days, and SF2 was never even officially released and very well may never be, even if Super FX titles were to appear here. And past the excitement about an unreleased game in a major Nintendo franchise, it's perhaps even more aged than the original Star Fox.

3rd party is even worse, with the available titles off the top of my head being a very poor version of Doom, a surprisingly decent skiing game in the form of FX Skiing (Which North America sadly missed out on), Dirt Trax FX which wasn't well received even when new, and Vortex (Which I've never played, but received only average reviews at best when new). So even if any of these IP owners were VC supporters, few would want any of these 3rd party games.

Except for perhaps one 3rd party title that may of slipped by me, that's it. Everything else was never finished like the Comanche port that was underway for a while.

It personally doesn't surprise me terribly that Nintendo has skipped over emulating this co-processor (Granted, we don't know that's the case, but I'm inferring it from the lack of any available Super FX titles).

Edited on by Atariboy

Atariboy

DJPort2008

Interesting.

Some people may be harsh toward Star Fox, but I think it's still a relatively well-liked game and would sell well on the VC if released.

DJPort2008

Bass_X0

They should really remake Star Fox as a 3D classic without FX Chip looking graphics.

Edgey, Gumshoe, Godot, Sissel, Larry, then Mia, Franziska, Maggie, Kay and Lynne.

I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing happens!

Rumorlife

I think StarFox 64 needs to take a rest. Everyone is really trying to run that game until the wheels fall off.

Rumorlife

Bass_X0

There's no doubt that it will come to the Wii U Virtual Console at some point.

Edgey, Gumshoe, Godot, Sissel, Larry, then Mia, Franziska, Maggie, Kay and Lynne.

I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing happens!

Rumorlife

There's no word on what comes next for N64 VC right? Just Mario 64 & DK64? I can't imagine what will be next honestly.

Rumorlife

hiahfiuehiuawef

They'll try to get people's money at the same pace that the people get the money. Veeeery sloooooowly.

Hello from Seattle

Nintendo Network ID: ryanator008

Grumblevolcano

Yellowtails wrote:

Dankykong wrote:

There's no word on what comes next for N64 VC right? Just Mario 64 & DK64? I can't imagine what will be next honestly.

There's Paper Mario, but other than that, I don't really see much N64 games being released for the Wii U VC, or they might drag out the release dates for any future titles.

Dragging out definitely, with big GBA classics not even present on VC in NA (think Zero Mission, Golden Sun 2, Sacred Stones, etc.) I think N64 will be a trickle.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Atariboy

Most of the Wii releases would seem like shoe-ins. Other than possibly a title or two like Ogre Battle, I'm sure we'll get all that in time.

What's interesting will be what's new, such as Pilotwings 64 for a likely candidate.

Edited on by Atariboy

Atariboy

Rumorlife

Yellowtails wrote:

There's Paper Mario, but other than that, I don't really see much N64 games being released for the Wii U VC, or they might drag out the release dates for any future titles.

Drag it out seems more likely. Natsume doesn't know what they're talking about, so I'm sure they'll continue to dump out NES & SNES games as time goes on but it'll be slower, considering they've got to feed multiple retro systems. They skimped the Wii's N64 selection a bit, but they've released a lot more VC in a lot less time for the 3DS & WiiU than they did for the Wii, so I have faith they'll do a fair amount of games for it.

Rumorlife

MarioKartParty57

I bet Mega Man 64 will happen because we're getting an overload of Mega Man just alll over the place.

MarioKartParty57

MarioKartParty57

Nintendo: >releases SNES on 3DS in Japan
Natsume: THEY'RE ABANDONING SNES

MarioKartParty57

Rumorlife

Ubisoft, time to dump your couple of good N64 games in the virtual console. Tonic Trouble & Rocket Robot on Wheels pls.

Rumorlife

Aldebaran

Dankykong wrote:

Ubisoft, time to dump your couple of good N64 games in the virtual console. Tonic Trouble & Rocket Robot on Wheels pls.

Don't forget Rayman 2

SparkOfSpirit

Can Ubisoft release Rocket Robot on Wheels? Sucker Punch is now owned by Sony, after all.

“A thing may be too sad to be believed or too wicked to be believed or too good to be believed; but it cannot be too absurd to be believed in this planet of frogs and elephants, of crocodiles and cuttle-fish.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Aldebaran

I would purchase Tonic Trouble when that game was realesed I was a little child with no cash and the game looked nice back then but never got the chance to play it.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.