Wii U Virtual Console Forum

Topic: Anyone else expecting a N64 VC release in January?

Showing 21 to 40 of 45

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Unca_Lz

21. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

PSOne Classics are dead in America, and PS2 Classics are dying. Only Japan gets a good number of old games, regardless of platform.

As for the topic at hand: lolno

Which makes the Sony point completely moot

Nintendo Life moderator and duck

My Retrologgery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KingMike

22. Posted:

I remember PSOne Classics were mostly an afterthought with literally only a handful of games the first few years. If I remember, most of the games were added around the turn of the decade when suddenly large companies like Square-Enix, Capcom and Konami (moreso in Japan? They put up Suikoden 1 but not its massively-overpriced sequel!) started putting up many of their major games.

KingMike

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

23. Posted:

Light wrote:

I hope that they do. This is one of the things which bothers me as a wii u owner. Since i transferred my wii data to my wii u and lost gamecube controller functionality, I cannot play any of my n64 purchases. I refuse to purchase classic controllers, when i can purchase the newer wii u pro controllers which are better and are compatible with most current wii u games and will be with future releases. Also, I am not purchasing third party gamecube adapters just to play one or two wii mode vc games. So here is what I am looking forward to:

releasing all the older n64 games on the wii u VC OR allowing the wii u pro controller to work in wii mode.

Perhaps this could come in handy for the meantime?
Untitled

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

brooks83

24. Posted:

Thanks for this thread, I needed a good laugh today! For January, I predict we will get DK Junior Math. If we're lucky.

brooks83

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SideScreamer

25. Posted:

brooks83 wrote:

Thanks for this thread, I needed a good laugh today! For January, I predict we will get DK Junior Math. If we're lucky.

No need to be a lovely person about it.
Watch the profanity please — TBD

Edited on by theblackdragon

SideScreamer

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

26. Posted:

Does anyone think it's possible that maybe the reason it's taking so long is because they're trying to not only get the n64 emulator to work on the Wii U, but also upgrade it to add features like rumble pack and memory card functionality which were missing from the Wii versions?

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mitsuko_Chan

27. Posted:

I'm happy with my own N64 console. Emulators aren't reliable and 100% inaccurate.

YouTube Channel | Miiverse | deviantART | Hatena

3DS Friend Code: 2809-8065-2098 | Nintendo Network ID: MarioOtaku350

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bulbousaur

28. Posted:

I'd hope so, Nintendo are releasing VC games at a painfully slow rate. Not getting my hopes up, but it will be really cool to play Majora's Mask on the Gamepad.

Bulbousaur

3DS Friend Code: 5112-3450-2144 | Nintendo Network ID: Bulbousaur

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

29. Posted:

Atariboy wrote:

Nope, that's hardly some sort of technical hurdle. Heck, their N64 emulator already did controller rumble back on the GameCube with the Ocarina of Time bonus disc and later the Collector's Edition release. They intentionally disabled that functionality on the Wii Virtual Console for whatever reason. It wasn't technical issues that kept it back.

And I imagine that memory card support wasn't there since it just didn't need to be bothered with. Most everything they were considering for release had onboard saving and it probably wasn't worth the trouble to create a virtual memory card system that largely would go unused for rather pointless features like MK64's replay save capability.

Did the Zelda OoT Bonus Disc and Collector's Edition disc have n64 emulators, or were they ported? I think they were ported, as they did make changes to the games, such as HUD colors and game text, so the changes in the code for using the rumble was in the game itself and not in an emulator. Therefore, I think that what you're talking about is irrelevant to the Wii / Wii U n64 emulators.
And the memory cards were required for some games, like Quest 64, so if they want to expand their n64 VC library, they're going to have to implement the memory card feature and that may require a lot of testing with the different n64 titles.

@Kawaii_Neko Well, the n64 games on Wii all seem to work well and they are ran off of emulators.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Happy_Mask

30. Posted:

They're not gonna release MM on WiiU virtual console because they have to give people a reason to buy the inevitable amazing HD remake. ;______;

[16:08] LordJumpMad Hides his gut with a griddle
[16:08] Reala: what ljm does for cash is ljm's business
[16:08] LordJumpMad: Gotta look good my my next game u_u

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

31. Posted:

Wonder_Mask wrote:

They're not gonna release MM on WiiU virtual console because they have to give people a reason to buy the inevitable amazing HD remake. ;______;

lol. HD remake. It's practically already been confirmed for 3DS. When asked about it after OoT3D came out, they said that they wanted to release a new Zelda game first before releasing another remake. And ALBW just came out, so it's not like, "Oh, ALBW just came out so now we can announce MM3D." They still have to give ALBW some time in the 3DS spotlight first.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

32. Posted:

How do you know? And regardless, they still clearly edited the code for the game so they could have changed the way the rumble worked in the game code, rather than doing it through an emulator.

I think that the memory cards are more of a hurdle than the rumble pack feature, but obviously there is some sort of hurdle otherwise these features would have been available in the Wii n64 emulator.

You sure do talk like you have it all figured out, yet you clearly don't. You say that they could easily do it, but for some mysterious reason they didn't. You don't know what the reason is why they didn't.

Edited on by DudeSean

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

33. Posted:

Well, if you're so smart, then tell me why there are no n64 games on the Wii U VC. Tell me why there was no rumble or memory card support on the Wii for n64 games.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

34. Posted:

DudeSean wrote:

Light wrote:

I hope that they do. This is one of the things which bothers me as a wii u owner. Since i transferred my wii data to my wii u and lost gamecube controller functionality, I cannot play any of my n64 purchases. I refuse to purchase classic controllers, when i can purchase the newer wii u pro controllers which are better and are compatible with most current wii u games and will be with future releases. Also, I am not purchasing third party gamecube adapters just to play one or two wii mode vc games. So here is what I am looking forward to:

releasing all the older n64 games on the wii u VC OR allowing the wii u pro controller to work in wii mode.

Perhaps this could come in handy for the meantime?
Untitled

Lol Ok you can use this on the Wii? Can't you already use the GC controllers on the Wii as long as its not the Wii Mini?

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

35. Posted:

Well, I think that they might not have had rumble on the Wii because the primary controller for n64 games was the classic controller which did not have rumble support. They still could have included it if you had a gamecube controller, but they probably didn't want to make the gamecube controller a better option as they wanted to sell classic controllers.

I think that they should have put memory card support in the emulator from the start so they wouldn't have to wait until later to deal with it.

Also, I don't think that the rumble and memory card features are the only reason it's being held back, but perhaps they're trying to improve the n64 emulator overall, including those features. They would be smart to make the Wii U's n64 emulator compatible with all n64 games from the start. That may take some time, in my opinion. Not just for development, but also for testing.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SparkOfSpirit

36. Posted:

I wish they continued PS1 classics. No Suikoden 2 or Brave Fencer Musashi was just inexcusable.

But, no I doubt N64 games are coming in January. PC Engine was just announced in Japan, if we're lucky we might get that at least.

“A thing may be too sad to be believed or too wicked to be believed or too good to be believed; but it cannot be too absurd to be believed in this planet of frogs and elephants, of crocodiles and cuttle-fish.”
― G.K. Chesterton

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Great_Gonzalez

37. Posted:

No not expecting...... Hoping maybe, but no expectations here ;)

Mayor Gary of Arcadia!

3DS Friend Code: 3222-5549-7270

AuthorMessage
Avatar

PKpunky

38. Posted:

Maybe not in January, but 2014 should see an update on that front.

PKpunky

Nintendo Network ID: PK_Ness

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KingMike

39. Posted:

DudeSean wrote:

How do you know?

We know the Zelda collections are emulated because the N64 ROMs exist, Cube text/color changes included.
(not encouraging, just saying it's proof of the answer to the question)

Edited on by KingMike

KingMike

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Xiao_Pai

40. Posted:

Eh, doubt it.

I love Erica (Strike Witches), Eureka (Eureka Seven), and Tenma (School Rumble), stay away from them. xD
Update: Also love Yukari and Mizore from Rosario + Vampire.
Another Update: Also Yuuki...from School Rumble...
Yet Another Update: Also Amber and Xiao Pai from Rune Factory 4.