Forums

Topic: GoldenEye Discussion Thread (OMG OMG OMG)

Posts 961 to 980 of 1,080

Machu

Issues? o.o The only issue I had was with the size of the screen in 3/4 player mode, but that's to be expected. I had great fun with it last weekend and will do again tonight, yay. .

Rawr!

brandonbwii

Cool, at least that means I'm not setting myself up for much disappointment then.

Facebook: bbworks club
Twitter: @bbworks_club
Instagram: bbworks club

Nintendo Network ID: BigBadBrowne

muunkyboy

1 major flaw with online play is when some mardy arsed host quits midway through a game and it kicks everyone out, this is really annoying me now. It's pretty obvious they just do it to annoy everyone else . Anyone else experiencing this?

Goldeneye FC: 1473 1684 4140 [NL] Rik

grenworthshero

Machu wrote:

@romulux: I'm not really talking about the way it was presented, more the way it was structured. The N64 game had more flow and attempted to stay in-line with the movie where as the Wii game re-imagined it with mixed results. In places it's fantastic, but in others it is not. Don't get me wrong I love the cut-scenes and set pieces but everynow and again it's really bad. D: It probably doesn't help that I really don't like the new Ouromov, Zenia, Natalya, Zukovsky. Also, someone is missing, which sucks.

I noticed that, too. They completely got rid of Boris, and Zenia was barely in the game at all. I really liked the new Natalya, though. I think it did a much better job of presenting a story, though, and I liked the departure from the movie. With the N64 game, I would have had no idea what was going on, had I not seen the movie. Especially in the train level--how are you supposed to figure out to cut the floor with your watch laser if you haven't seen the movie? That's what happened to me the first time I played it, before I had watched the movie.

PSN ID: grenworthshero
Steam: grenworthshero
WiiU: grenworthshero
YouTube--backloggery--tumblr--

Nintendo Network ID: grenworthshero

JonWahlgren

The new story doesn't make sense as a whole though.

SPOLIERS (I suppose)

Trevelyan's motivation's are never really explained beyond "BUT THE BANKERS, JAMES." And everything happens so rapidly too: after the Arkanghelsk (or whatever the first mission is), Bond heads off right to his next destination, and by the time he faces off with Janus in Statue Park it's been, what, like a week or two maybe since the opening mission? How the hell did Trevelyan have time to do anything?

Plus, yeah, Xenia is just a goon now and Ourumov comes across as some inept general. Why did he shoot the minister and give Bond a gun instead of just shooting Bond as well and taking care of his problem? Why bother? Not explained at all.

END SPOILERS

So yeah, to me the new story is kinda junk if you don't know the movie very well, and if you do then it's annoying to see how it's been mangled. If they were going to go through the trouble of reimagining it all, the least they could've done is made it so no prior movie knowledge was required at all.

JonWahlgren

Nintendo Network ID: johnnypanda | Twitter:

grenworthshero

Hmm, true. I guess you kind of have to see the movie with the new one, as well, but I think they did a good job reimagining a lot of stuff from the movie. Prior knowledge is required, but they manage to bring it together a lot better than in the N64 game, I think. I had no idea what was going on in the Facility in the N64 game, We were talking to Ouromov and then all of the sudden Trevelyn fell down and the place started exploding. WTF...

PSN ID: grenworthshero
Steam: grenworthshero
WiiU: grenworthshero
YouTube--backloggery--tumblr--

Nintendo Network ID: grenworthshero

TheBaconator

romulux wrote:

ballkirby1 wrote:

This game just can't compare to the HD shooters

it depends on what you want. if you don't care about realism much and just want something fun, i think HD shooters can't compare to this.

Realism? In an HD shooter? Never heard of such a thing. Last time I checked, people weren't throwing tomahawks at each other, driving explosive RC cars, and shooting each other with exploding crossbows in the Cold War...I guess I got to hit the history books again.
Anyway, I did enjoy the single player in this game a lot and found it much better then Black Op's, but the online multiplayer is nowhere near as strong, so it kind of ruined the replay value for me. It is also why I hate it when games rely on online multiplayer for extra gameplay, because not only do you need to find a game with no lag to get enjoyment out of it, but in a few years, no one will be playing it or the servers might be closed.

The Artist Formerly Known as ballkirby1
Nintendo Life Fantasy Football Team: The Propaniacs

Deviant_Mugen

@Machu: Agreed, but it doesn't mean you won't be frustrated when the AI starts getting really cheap (especially since you'll have one hell of a time actually keeping your armor)...

@brandonbwii: The only way split-screen will be disappointing is if you have a friend who isn't skilled at using the Wii remote, but that's about it. That's the problem my best friend has when he plays with my brother and I (who are quite skilled), but he's getting there...

Edited on by Deviant_Mugen

"Don't make enemies, they'll stab your heart; don't make friends, they'll stab your back. Including me, including you, all men are trash. Don't love; don't be loved. Have nothing to do with other; live in isolation."

romulux

^i never said call of duty was literally true to real life, i just said it's more serious and concerned with realism than goldeneye is.

goldeneye data is now displayed on the nintendo channel. i was surprised to see i've already logged some 70 hours... and for those of you cringing at the thought of cradle on 007 classic, cringe at this- there's only one body armor in the whole level, and you don't get it until after protecting natalya.

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

Deviant_Mugen

romulux wrote:

and for those of you cringing at the thought of cradle on 007 classic, cringe at this- there's only one body armor in the whole level, and you don't get it until after protecting natalya.

What?! That is just absolutely ridiculous! I'll have to make sure my remote has its' sleeve on, then, just in case for when I toss it out of anger...

"Don't make enemies, they'll stab your heart; don't make friends, they'll stab your back. Including me, including you, all men are trash. Don't love; don't be loved. Have nothing to do with other; live in isolation."

Will_Ireland

Can anybody tell me what our reward for completing the game on 007 classic is? Or finishing all of the time trials? Are Aztec and Moonraker levels too much to expect this time?

Will_Ireland

Deviant_Mugen

@Will_Ireland: So far I haven't seen anything online that mentions any kind of reward, so I assume it's just bragging rights. And, yes, there are no Aztec or Moonraker levels this time around...

Will_Ireland

Thats dissapointing, has anybody actualy finished it yet though? There must be some sort of reward, there has to be!

Will_Ireland

TheBaconator

romulux wrote:

^i never said call of duty was literally true to real life, i just said it's more serious and concerned with realism than goldeneye is

Actually, no they aren't concerned with realism at all. In fact Goldeneye on basic conflict is the most realistic FPS game I've played gameplay wise. Most developers in the HD shooters purposely put a ridiculous physics engine into to the game to make death more humorous. Like in Halo Reach when you get punched your body can excel into a wall at 100 mph and you can unlock something that makes confetti pop out of you when you die, and little children yell "HOORAY!" in the background.
Goldeneye's online is actually too realistic for me, that's why I find it kind of boring. Split-Screen is fun though, I just played a few matches with my friend the other day, and playing invisibility-Paintball-Rubber Grenades-DK- Mode was a blast.

The Artist Formerly Known as ballkirby1
Nintendo Life Fantasy Football Team: The Propaniacs

retired_account

Well, I think I'm going to pass on this one and wait for Conduit 2. I don't like how COD-like this is, and Conduit 2's run and gun style of gameplay is much more up my alley.

If Conduit 2 ends up sucking, for some reason, I can always pick this up later. It'll probably be cheaper by then too.

retired_account

SMEXIZELDAMAN

Beat the game, it's brilliant

Check out SUBLIME GAMER, my YouTube Channel
God loves you

irken004

I'm at the solar plant level and those rocket launchers are annoying >: P

romulux

Metroid_Fan wrote:

romulux wrote:

there's only one body armor in the whole level, and you don't get it until after protecting natalya.

What?! That is just absolutely ridiculous!

i hope i'm wrong and that i missed one somewhere, but because i didn't expect to pass it on my first run i spent a lot of time specifically just looking for the armor locations. it's actually not too hard to make it to trevelyan, it's just having enough health and beating him that's the problem...

i won't until after another day or so of failing, but i think the only thing you get from beating it on 007 classic is satisfaction. it'd be nice if they gave you the customizable enemy health and damage options, but that doesn't sound likely. i've got to say, leaving the cheat options out really removes a lot of the original game's fun. all i want to do is go back to the start with paintball and all guns and i can't do it.

ballkirby1 wrote:

Split-Screen is fun though, I just played a few matches with my friend the other day, and playing invisibility-Paintball-Rubber Grenades-DK- Mode was a blast.

at least you're still having fun with it. the reason i say call of duty is more realistic is that, in at least modern warfare 2, everything revolves around the real military world, calling in GPS guided airstrikes and the like. it just plays like a war simulator to me, even if it's not trying to be 100% accurate.

Edited on by romulux

SkullMan

Me and this game have a date christmas morning.

Send me the best you've got. Send me your strongest machines. The fight my brother fought, here, now, will end with me.

romulux

three weeks time hasn't made the hosting issues any less infuriating, i'm sad to say. i was two kills away from winning a match on outpost and the host quit to deny me that, so i came back in and wound up on outpost again. i figured it was a second chance at the map... i killed the host and thought in the back of my head "great, now he's going to leave". and he did! it sucks when you feel like you have to go easy on the host to keep him from ruining the match.

i also tried a shotgun i found lying around to see what it's like... and now i'm pissed. it gets one hit kills at ridiculously long ranges. you can play so badly, getting shot multiple times before returning any fire, and still win with one clumsily aimed hit. i think the only players who have any business sticking to shotguns are the weak ones.

it's a good thing the game is insanely fun to make these problems worth it, otherwise it'd be in the drawer next to the conduit.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.