Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 2,101 to 2,120 of 15,210

Eel

Earthquakes can raise the land and transform what was part of an ocean into a nice dead wasteland.

I know because I live in one of those.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Nicolai

MorphMarron wrote:

Oook?

The Wind Waker had load times though, they are the reason there's so much space between the islands. Kinda like those useless rooms in Resident Evil Revelations where the doors have things that spin that lock you in for no reason.

The general hook of no loading screens is that you can see something from a distance and go to it without the game cutting to black. Wind waker did it well, although it was easy to do considering, like you said, how much space there was in between the islands, and how small the islands were. I haven't played Resident Evil Revelations, but games where you go into an elevator or something that closes you in while you wait for the level to change around you is hardly an exciting feature.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Haru17

TingLz wrote:

Aside from questioning how it went from ocean to desert?

I can hardly criticize that, as I'd rather the level designers totally redo the geography of Hyrule in 100 years than be limited by Ocarina of Time's map forever. That said it was weird how you could see all of the underwater ocean when only a small sphere of it should be water and the rest sand.

I think I really would have enjoyed the game more, at least visually, if it was in 720p or 1080p on the Wii U. On the Wii it was stuck with 420p and this weird draw distance effect that blurred everything more than 10 feet away from Link, rendering the world and art style just ugly and fuzzy.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Eel

@Nicolai: The interesting part about Revelations is that those rooms serve no useful in-universe purpose (like an elevator or something), they're literally just loading rooms that lock you in until the loading is completed

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

LzWinky

MorphMarron wrote:

Earthquakes can raise the land and transform what was part of an ocean into a nice dead wasteland.

I know because I live in one of those.

I remember the time stones mostly turning sand into water. Everything else remained mostly the same.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Eel

Well that can be explained with "the chunk of land that moved was so big you don't even notice it moved from where you stand".

There's also the possibility that another chunck of land somewhere else moved in a way that drained the water or blocked source of it from that particular part of the sea.

A third option is that the weather simply changed.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

LzWinky

Actually, I remember now. The thunder dragon's death was the cause of the desert. However, even if you "revive" him in the "past", he is still dead in the "present", leaving a huge gaping PLOT HOLE!

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

LzWinky

You mean the game designers for overlooking that obvious mistake?

Eel

The dragon, he got sick again after you saved him once.

Then revived to help you later in the story.

And then died again right afterwards.

He's like an anime sidekick.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Octane

TingLz wrote:

Actually, I remember now. The thunder dragon's death was the cause of the desert. However, even if you "revive" him in the "past", he is still dead in the "present", leaving a huge gaping PLOT HOLE!

Although it's a paradox no matter how you look at it, the same can be said about Zelda and the Life Tree you have to plant. From the very beginning, Zelda can be seen through the crack in the large doors, even though she doesn't travel to the past until later in the game. Yet the tree isn't visible from the beginning, even though you will be travelling back in time to plant the thing. Ergo, sometimes the results of changes made in the past show up in present time from the beginning, and sometimes they don't. They weren't very consistent.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

Haru17

Octane wrote:

TingLz wrote:

Although it's a paradox no matter how you look at it, the same can be said about Zelda and the Life Tree you have to plant. From the very beginning, Zelda can be seen through the crack in the large doors, even though she doesn't travel to the past until later in the game. Yet the tree isn't visible from the beginning, even though you will be travelling back in time to plant the thing. Ergo, sometimes the results of changes made in the past show up in present time from the beginning, and sometimes they don't. They weren't very consistent.

This is why time travel is always problematic SEE WHAT YOU DO TO US NINTENDO!?!

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

LzWinky

Yeah, dang Ocarina of Time!

How dare the Master Sword lock Link away until he's 17ish but other Links can wield it at any age >:[

And how dare the Master Sword lock him away to fight evil...despite the fact that locking him away was the cause of the evil! THE NERVE!!!

Edited on by LzWinky

Nicolai

I don't think the Master Sword was very smart. It was probably controlled by Fi.

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Smash_kirby

Haru17 wrote:

Octane wrote:

TingLz wrote:

This is why time travel is always problematic SEE WHAT YOU DO TO US NINTENDO!?!

Time Travel when handled properly is a great literary device, almost everyone seems to get it wrong.

Smash_kirby

kyuubikid213

Smash_kirby wrote:

Time Travel when handled properly is a great literary device, almost everyone seems to get it wrong.

I like the Back to the Future explanation of (their version of) time travel.

Going back in time causes the timeline to split where there's a timeline where you never went back in the first place and the new timeline where you'd gone back to and the changes that result from it. It works (as far as I can tell) and covers the plot holes that would be there if this wasn't the case.

For Example: When Marty goes back in time in the first movie, he leaves from the Twin Pines Mall (at least, I think that's what it was called) and upon entering 1955, he takes out one of the old man's pine trees. When he returns to 1985 at the end of the movie, the mall's name is now the One Pine Mall.

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

CaviarMeths

The trick to using time travel effectively is to establish ground rules and stick to them.

X-Men: Days of Future Past was doing so well for most of the movie. Director Bryan Singer established the rule of reality being observed by a single traveler. Once Wolverine observed an event, it became reality, but never before that. That's why when the film jumps back and forth between past and future story arcs, the future events are never actually influenced by the past until Wolverine returns from it. The moment Wolverine goes back to the future (huehue), that's when the changed events of the past take their effect.

The movie Looper on the other hand established the rule that the future is changed by the present in real time, regardless of an observer. When Young Joe uses a knife to carve directions into his arm, the scars appear on Old Joe's arm immediately so he knows where to find his younger self. The movie actually does a pretty good job of sticking to this rule for the entire film.

It's when the story doesn't firmly establish rules that things get problematic or out of hand. There will always be paradox with any time travel story. 100% of the time, that's unavoidable. But they can avoid plot holes or baffling the audience by enforcing their own strict rules.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

GrailUK

Yet most films forget about the space part. The Delorean went back in time sure, but if it emerged in the same spot, then everyone died in the vacuum of space because the Earth had moved! Same with H.G Wells The Time Machine with that bloke sat in a chair! He more than likely would have died lol. The only way I say time travel working is in a flying saucer type thing. (Like Area 52 aliens are us from the future type thing all eveloved n stuff!)

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Dezzy

Smash_kirby wrote:

How on earth do you know what "getting it wrong" means when it's still entirely science fiction?

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic