Wii U Forum

Topic: Pikmin 3

Showing 1,301 to 1,320 of 1,328

AuthorMessage

Operative

1,301. Posted:

Pikmin 3 was much more like the original in terms of gameplay and the enemies being much harder. I noticed that it was much easier to lose pikmin and not feel bad in the first game, the enemies were bigger and tougher. The second game (my personal favorite) shrunk some of the enemies and made it possible to not lose a single pikmin if you were careful enough. The cavers are definitely my favorite, since they were randomized and added much more pressure to keep your pikmin alive. But things like the stone spray and purple pikmin made certain things too easy. Unless it involved electricity. That was the most terrifying thing about the game. Instant kills. I love the third game as well, but I must admit I was disappointed with the length. I was hoping we'd get story DLC at some point too. The co-op missions were a blast though. My boyfriend and I worked really hard to get platinum on everything. It even caused some fights, but in the end it was so fun.

Operative

AuthorMessage

Octane

1,302. Posted:

Operative wrote:

I was hoping we'd get story DLC at some point too.

No.

Octane

AuthorMessage

jariw

1,303. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I never got a chance to play multiplayer until a week ago. It's quite fun, even if the 2nd player I had was meh at best at the game (but he had the advantage of having Wiimote+nunchuck so it almost evened out). Sadly we didn't get to play Bingo Battle, which is apparently one of the most underrated multiplayer modes in gaming.

I guess it's easier to plan strategies in co-op if the player skills are fairly equal. In the Bingo Battle mode, it's easy to play with different skill levels since the "handicap" system (defining how many pikmins each player should start with) can be used to customize the skill levels. The only thing I miss in Bingo Battle is to be able to customize what kind of cherry abilities that will appear.

Current Top 10: DK:TF, Pikmin 3, MK8, Stealth Inc. 2, Scram Kitty, SM3DW, LEGO City: Undercover, Bayonetta 1+2, SSB U, Rayman Legends
Looking forward to:
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Affordable Space Adventures, X, Hex Heroes, Yoshi's Wooly World, Splatoon, and more

AuthorMessage

Spoony_Tech

1,304. Posted:

jariw wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I never got a chance to play multiplayer until a week ago. It's quite fun, even if the 2nd player I had was meh at best at the game (but he had the advantage of having Wiimote+nunchuck so it almost evened out). Sadly we didn't get to play Bingo Battle, which is apparently one of the most underrated multiplayer modes in gaming.

I guess it's easier to plan strategies in co-op if the player skills are fairly equal. In the Bingo Battle mode, it's easy to play with different skill levels since the "handicap" system (defining how many pikmins each player should start with) can be used to customize the skill levels. The only thing I miss in Bingo Battle is to be able to customize what kind of cherry abilities that will appear.

I don't know how many times that I'm not paying attention and my whole army gets wiped out from falling boulders. It would be a nice customization for sure.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

I'm finding this game way too distracting. I would much rather be playing it right now rather than working!
Words to live by!!

Formerly Tech101 and OldMan-Tech
Tech

3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: Spoony_Tech

AuthorMessage

Operative

1,305. Posted:

Octane wrote:

Operative wrote:

No.

Why not? Not like it would be unfair at this point.

Operative

AuthorMessage

Octane

1,306. Posted:

Operative wrote:

Octane wrote:

Operative wrote:

No.

Well, there are two reasons; I don't see how they could improve the story in any way, there's a beginning and an end, the story is finished. I never really understood story DLC, even less than other forms of DLC. Indeed, the game had an open ending, like every Pikmin game, but we'll discover what happens next in Pikmin 4.

Also I don't really understand the preference for DLC. I remember , back in the ol' days, when I bought a game, I received the full game. Not like these days. There's plenty of games which have disc-locked content, DLC you need to pay for, or even exclusive DLC. Now I know that is not the case with the Pikmin DLC we have received, but still. I think if developers release a game, it should be finished without any of that DLC nonsense later on. We used to unlock content by gaining skill and achieving certain criteria, now developers just want to see more money.

Personally I think that all forms of DLC should be avoided when necessary to prevent the movement the gaming industry is undergoing right now; more and more DLC. As for Pikmin 3, I don't think that most of this applies to that game. However I still think the game is completely fine the way it is, and doesn't need DLC at all.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

1,307. Posted:

Pikmin 3 story DLC would require Nintendo to care about story. :p

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage

brewsky

1,308. Posted:

Unfortunately, Pikmin is Miyamoto's baby, and as long as he continues to work on Pikmin, story will continue to be among the least of his priorities.

Now playing:
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Wii U) | Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (3DS) | Fantasy Life (3DS)
AC:NL Dream Address: 4100-3259-5964
I would come up with a clever name for my backloggery, but my name prevents it.

Nintendo Network ID: brewsky93

AuthorMessage

Spoony_Tech

1,309. Posted:

Gameplay>Story and graphics! :P

MERG said:

I'm finding this game way too distracting. I would much rather be playing it right now rather than working!
Words to live by!!

Tech

AuthorMessage

Operative

1,310. Posted:

Operative wrote:

Octane wrote:

Operative wrote:

Octane wrote:

Operative wrote:

No.

Well, there are two reasons; I don't see how they could improve the story in any way, there's a beginning and an end, the story is finished. I never really understood story DLC, even less than other forms of DLC. Indeed, the game had an open ending, like every Pikmin game, but we'll discover what happens next in Pikmin 4.

Also I don't really understand the preference for DLC. I remember , back in the ol' days, when I bought a game, I received the full game. Not like these days. There's plenty of games which have disc-locked content, DLC you need to pay for, or even exclusive DLC. Now I know that is not the case with the Pikmin DLC we have received, but still. I think if developers release a game, it should be finished without any of that DLC nonsense later on. We used to unlock content by gaining skill and achieving certain criteria, now developers just want to see more money.

Personally I think that all forms of DLC should be avoided when necessary to prevent the movement the gaming industry is undergoing right now; more and more DLC. As for Pikmin 3, I don't think that most of this applies to that game. However I still think the game is completely fine the way it is, and doesn't need DLC at all.

The thing is, we have received the full game, as you said. the DLC released thus far has been nothing but adding on cherries to an already delicious (though disappointingly short) cake. Post-release content isn't inherently bad, and Nintendo is one of the few that still treats them as expansion packs rather than the sale of pieces of the game that were removed prior to completion. Like you said, the usual headaches that accompany most DLC aren't present in Pikmin 3, so I see no problem with hoping more comes to the game. As for what they can include? Well the possibilities are there for Olimar and Louie either working together or separately in new areas of the planet, or maybe an exploration of why Louie is "evil" and what he does when he isn't pretending to be Olimar's dumb co-worker. Not to mention the DLC they did release A) Had a free sample, can't get much more consumer friendly than that and B) were like $3 at most for what amounted to hours of additional game time. If they're working on Pikmin 4, then great. If not, then I think more content for the current game would definitely extend the life of the game as well as make these Wii U droughts much more bearable. I agree though that the game is still great the way it is (minus lack of online play). I'm just hoping they can breathe new life into it. Which is why I'm in favor of a universal achievement system for Nintendo, but that's a story for another time

Edited on by Operative

Operative

AuthorMessage

brewsky

1,311. Posted:

Spoony_Tech wrote:

Gameplay>Story and graphics! :P

You summed up Miyamoto quite nicely.

Now playing:
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Wii U) | Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (3DS) | Fantasy Life (3DS)
AC:NL Dream Address: 4100-3259-5964
I would come up with a clever name for my backloggery, but my name prevents it.

Nintendo Network ID: brewsky93

AuthorMessage

MasterWario

1,312. Posted:

Funny thing is, they sliced the gameplay ever so slightly for this game in favor of graphics. The game would have definitely been longer if they didn't have to worry about HD.

Shulk! HOORAY! Now if they just add King K. Rool, the game will be complete.
My Pushmo Levels
My Crashmo Levels
My Colors! 3D Gallery
Bogmire sprite by A.J. Nitro

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0589-3371

AuthorMessage

Spoony_Tech

1,313. Posted:

MasterWario wrote:

Funny thing is, they sliced the gameplay ever so slightly for this game in favor of graphics. The game would have definitely been longer if they didn't have to worry about HD.

Are you talking gameplay or game length? The gameplay is the same as it's always been.

MERG said:

Words to live by!!

Tech

AuthorMessage

MasterWario

1,314. Posted:

Spoony_Tech wrote:

MasterWario wrote:

Are you talking gameplay or game length? The gameplay is the same as it's always been.

Well, more length would mean more gameplay options, right (i.e. more creatures and settings to interact with)? Or are we just talking about the basic controls (i.e. throw Pikmin, call Pikmin, carry fruit)? Or something else?

My Pushmo Levels
My Crashmo Levels
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

1,315. Posted:

He's right probably but less is more sometimes.

And to be honest, the game was already running our of story ideas despite being short-ish so maybe that's for the best?

But at the same time there is a significant chance it would've been a larger or even a better game if it was a late Wii title because HD is more effort and going from SD to HD is a difficult process for devs.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

AuthorMessage

Spoony_Tech

1,316. Posted:

Well gameplay is totally separate from game length to me. As for the actual gameplay I think and thought it was more then satisfying. I think a lot of people forget the first Pikmin could be beaten in about 5 to 7 hours. With that said I believe Pikmin3 is twice the size so what else can we ask for. Pikmin 2 did the caves trick to make the game seem longer then it really was.

This game lasted me more then long enough and with my attention span I actually finished it unlike most games I start. I also think there is plenty to come back too as well unlike some games where once you beat them it's almost pointless to play through it again for a couple of years.

MERG said:

Words to live by!!

Tech

AuthorMessage

MasterWario

1,317. Posted:

It think I've said before on here a while back; Pikmin 3 is really a great game, but coming from Pikmin 2 which was my favorite childhood game ever, there were a few things that weren't carried over that I missed, that I thought would definitely be included.

I'm glad they upped it to HD as it helps draw in those who are new to the series, and it definitely looked great.

So I'm not really upset with Pikmin 3, but for the longest time I thought it would be a game that doubled my total play time in Pikmin 2. ...And now I think Pikmin 1 might have more total play time than Pikmin 3! Not what I expected at all!

My Pushmo Levels
My Crashmo Levels
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

1,318. Posted:

fair enough but Pikmin 1 is a short game as soon as you know what you're doing. From what I understand at least, I was awful at it when I still had it.

While 2 is my favorite, only barely because the dungeons weren't really that great. Not bad enough to go against the huge amount of content it provided, but not good enough that those parts were on the level of the overworld. And after 3 I think I would appreciate the time limit in the first game way more.

But Pikmin 3 exactly the same except made as a late Wii game instead would very likely have been a better game.

I kinda hope Pikmin 4 goes full Zelda by having a few better designed dungeon areas (maybe like only 1 per area) with maybe some more that are short like the minidungeon areas in some Zeldas, instead of having a decent chunk of randomly generated meh levels.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

AuthorMessage

Spoony_Tech

1,319. Posted:

I don't know why people say or think they removed the caves/dungeons as they're in there just treated differently. Time still moves as it should and from my play through experience there was quite a few areas in the game that had caves. The whole last area was a cave for crying out loud! I don't mind one bit how they were used here over the last one!

MERG said:

Words to live by!!

Tech

AuthorMessage

Operative

1,320. Posted:

When they say they loved the dungeons, they probably mean the challenge associated with them along with the random generation. Even though time stood still, each floor was self contained and you couldn't run back out if you needed more pikmin. It was fun to try and keep all your pikmin alive, not to mention challenging

Operative