Forums

Topic: Paper Mario: Color Splash - OT

Posts 941 to 960 of 960

Dreamliner

@polarbear Hmm...I'm seeing some VERY polarizing reviews. One guy loved the charm, the other hated the battle controls.

I will say, the element that has me least excited is the whole card system. If this was the same game but with jumping and the color hammer alone (like regular Mario but a with hammer), I'd be way happier.

Dreamliner

jump

Dreamliner wrote:

Does this game have a demo?

I bought it on release day but it's still sealed and I am horribly concerned it's dumb. I like side scrolling and 3D Mario games but this looks like a ton of reading and pretty boring gameplay.

So why did you buy it?

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Octane

I'm not sure how Nintendo managed to do it, but they suddenly turned this great game into something incredibly tedious. I was having troubles with the Roshambo temples yesterday (a bad game mechanic in general), but now a Bandit Shy Guy spawned on the overworld. I had it happen several times before, but he was always within reach before the timer disappeared. Anyway, a Bandit Shy Guy spawned in the middle of the map and the target was on the left, I was on the right. It was impossible to catch up to him before he finished. Turns out that if you don't get to him in time, he drains almost all the colour from the targeted level. I had finished the level and it went back to 6%.

What's with this game and its tedious mechanics? This IS NOT fun. Having to recolor an entire level just because some RNG mechanic picked an unbeatable situation. Who thought this was a good idea?

Sigh.. I'm really not looking forward to playing this game anymore..

Octane

Octane

@DarthNocturnal And you know, the weird this is that the actual game itself isn't bad at all. Writing is good, visuals are great, maybe the game is a bit too easy; despite the fact that you're using cards, it's still pretty simple, I wish the combat was a bit more tactical. Still, not a reason for me to dislike the game. However, it's this stupid RNG stuff that don't add anything to the game that ruin the experience. Yes, the Roshambo temples are completely optional (still required to 100% the game), but that Bandit Shy Guy that shows up on the map once in a while pretty much ruins the entire game. The main premise of the game is to restore the island with colour, but once they start introducing mechanics that completely erase your progress at random, it becomes a very tedious experience.

Octane

Dreamliner

@jump it was pre-ordered as soon as it was announced. I didn't pay any attention to the details because it was the first party Nintendo Mario title I figured I would like it. I honestly thought it was going to be something similar to 3D Mario kind of like how Yoshi Woolly World (Which I also got, like but haven't finished) is stylized but pretty much a regular Yoshi game.

Dreamliner

Dreamliner

I decided to open this game. I played for a couple hours and like it. I can see the cards getting quickly tedious. I ran away from some Shy Guys to avoid it.

The writing is pretty hilarious. That's is quite surprising.

Dreamliner

jariw

DarthNocturnal wrote:

@Dreamliner

I highly recommend returning or selling your copy for whatever you can get for it. Then, go on the eShop and get Super Paper Mario. It's a platformer with a few light RPG elements, and a neat 2D-to-3D gameplay mechanic.

You highly recommend someone selling a game that you haven't played yourself...?

Octane wrote:

I'm not sure how Nintendo managed to do it, but they suddenly turned this great game into something incredibly tedious. I was having troubles with the Roshambo temples yesterday (a bad game mechanic in general), but now a Bandit Shy Guy spawned on the overworld. I had it happen several times before, but he was always within reach before the timer disappeared. Anyway, a Bandit Shy Guy spawned in the middle of the map and the target was on the left, I was on the right. It was impossible to catch up to him before he finished. Turns out that if you don't get to him in time, he drains almost all the colour from the targeted level. I had finished the level and it went back to 6%.

If you reach the hub and a Bandit steals the color because you don't get there in time, directly turn off the game from the hub without saving. The next time you start the game, the Bandit will now reappear at a different location, where it's probably easier to catch.

Dreamliner wrote:

I decided to open this game. I played for a couple hours and like it. I can see the cards getting quickly tedious. I ran away from some Shy Guys to avoid it.

When the hammer gets more color "power", you can smash more and more enemy types directly. Also, if you get into a battle and have lots of money, make sure to farm replicas during the really easy battles.

Edited on by jariw

jariw

Octane

@jariw I hit the reset button immediately; however, the Shy Guy spawns at the same spot every time. I've tried it at least five times. At first I assumed that I was just unlucky, but it looks like the locations aren't reset when you boot up the game again; his spawn point and the targeted level remain the same.

Octane

Dreamliner

I've got a couple levels that are like 97% complete. I've played through them a couple more times (and found out how fun it is run out of cards) and cannot find more spots to color. Any suggestions?

Dreamliner

Octane

@Dreamliner Check every area again. Sometimes there are small rocks or pebbles that are coloured white, you can miss them easily.

Octane

Dreamliner

I just got the first Big Paint Star and I can tell right now I'll never replay this game. The cards are awful and tedious. Its especially egregious when two Shy Guy's are standing next to each other and it initiates back-to-back battles.

A Magikoopa showed up and turned all my cards to boots. I thought it was permanent and darn near shut the game off...

Without the cards and a small arrangement of quick-select live-attacks this game would be so much better.

I no longer care to 100% each level. I'm still hitting each white spot I see, but I'm not replaying levels to hit it, not worth the frustration.

Aside from the battles, the game is phenomenal.

Edited on by Dreamliner

Dreamliner

Rocossa

Bought a copy of this from my friend so I finally get a chance to play this game. N64/TTYD Paper Mario's are my favorite games ever, I thought Super was ok, I played Sticker Star and it was trash

pray for me

Rocossa

Xyphon22

I am playing through this with my five-year-old son right now, and I think it is easily one of the most fun games I have played in a long time. All of the different style of levels give it a lot of variety and it doesn't get boring. Yes, battles can be wearisome, but mostly it's okay. And @Octane I have not had that happen yet where I was unable to reach the Bandit in time, but unless something changes later (we just got to the level with the 4th big paint star) coloring all of the white spots is not any more necessary than beating the Roshambo temples. I know it's frustrating to have your work wiped out, but I usually just paint as I go, so it's not really any extra work to do it. (And as a funny aside, we play while my 2-year-old daughter naps, and the other day we could not beat the 2nd Rock Paper Wizard after like 5 tries. My daughter woke up so I let her pick and she beat him first try. She was awake as we got to the 3rd one a couple days later so I just let her pick again, and she beat him first try. She is a Roshambo master!)

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

Octane

@Xyphon22 I was definitely past that point, already have four or five Paint Stars. Whether it happens to other people or not, it's a terrible game mechanic and there's no excuse for it. The game wants you to colour in all the white spots, that's pretty much the incentive of the game. There's no reason why erasing that progress should be part of it. They made an effort to improve the mechanics of Sticker Star, only to undo all the progress by adding tedious mechanics on top of it. One step forward, and two steps back.

Octane

Dreamliner

This game should be allow you hit the R shoulder button to skip the battle, defeating the enemy and not collecting their coins or paint, heck take 100 coins for the it even. Seems like a fair trade-off.

This game without battles would be 9.5/10. As it is, I'd say its a 6.5/10 but I'll never replay it because of the tedious battles.

Edited on by Dreamliner

Dreamliner

Xyphon22

We finally beat this game the other day. This is probably one of my top 5 Wii U games. All of the different types of levels and cameos and nods to other games were amazing (especially the green electric charging house or whatever that level is called). The battles are easily the worst part, but they are only slightly annoying and kind of make you think how you need to set up your card deck, especially the final battle. You can't just go into every battle with the same cards and expect to win every time. And the most annoying parts (Roshambo temples, painting all the white spots, etc.) are not necessary at all. Every game that has side accomplishments like that has hard and/or annoying ones that aren't required for the main game. I think people are just singling out this game because they don't like the direction it took away from standard RPG gameplay.

Xyphon22

Henmii

So I finished the endboss yesterday. And I finished him the best way I could: With tea, Lol!

Henmii

Henmii

One of the weakest aspects of the game (wich I haven't mentioned before) is that you need certain Thing cards to beat the bosses. That's just bad game-design. And people say this was also the case with Sticker star, but I clearly remember beating the big Blooper without a Thing. It was a lot harder, but still...
Overall I had a lot of fun with Color splash, and it was pretty big too!

I have a little question about the enemy-cards: The ones that I am missing, do I need to get them the hard way (beating enemies, hoping for cards) or is there a easy way (besides the red bandit shy guy card. He doesn't spawn anymore by the way)!

Henmii

Xyphon22

I didn't think needing the Thing cards was bad at all. With the one exception of the Colloseum, you pretty much got all of the Thing cards just going along, and they pretty much always gave you a fairly obvious clue as to which Thing card you needed to beat the boss, so it was never a big deal.

And painting all the white spots and getting all the enemy cards are the last two things I didn't do, because I don't know of any easier way to get those cards, so if you figure it out, let me know.

Xyphon22

Henmii

At the Lemmy battle (I think it was Lemmy) I used the Thing cards at the wrong time. That was very annoying.

I have done all the white spots. Some I had to search up, but the most I found on my own.

Edited on by Henmii

Henmii

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.