Forums

Topic: Do gamers underestimate the impact of a quickly replaced console that hasnt fully satisfied customers?

Posts 141 to 146 of 146

Andrzej777

Octane wrote:

@JaxonH I'm not sure about that. I don't think that blaming the Wii U owners is the right way to go. I think that the entire situation is a lot more complicated, but I also think that a good chuck of the Wii U userbase simply isn't interested in third party games. One of the reasons is that a fan of, let's say, COD would never buy a Wii U to play his/her favourite game. A part has to do with history, it's a known fact that the releases on Nintendo's consoles have been inconsistent; Whilst you're guaranteed to get every entry in the COD series on PS or Xbox, that's not been true for Nintendo's platforms. So I think that the people that are most likely going to buy those games either own another console or PC, or don't buy Nintendo's consoles at all for said reasons. Does it help that some of the games were late and/or inferior ports; No. It's not the main reason, but it's another contributing factor. Therefore I don't think that it's just an issue that was present on the Wii U, but rather a larger issue that has been present at least since the Wii. Nintendo built their own little environment in which they sell their own games to their fanbase on their own console, and it's difficult for third parties to sell their games on Nintendo's systems, because the people that are most likely to buy those games tend to buy them on other platforms.

Do I think that's a good reason for Nintendo to ''abandon'' third party relationships altogether? No. Variety is important, and in order to maintain a healthy platform I do think it's in Nintendo's interest to work more closely with other developers; including EA, Ubisoft and Activision. I also think that it's still possible for Nintendo to change their current situation and that it is possible for games like GTA, COD and FIFA to sell successfully on a Nintendo console. It's not going to happen over night and it's a slow process that's going to take a while.

I think that the current rumours of the NX have both its pros and cons. I'm still not sure where I side, I like to play games on my TV screen and I don't really care for portability, so I need to see it first how it performs on a big screen to give my opinion. You're right that the portables always had more exclusive games though, but I'm not sure how long that will last. This isn't some doom and gloom argument, but the same has happened to console gaming. Exclusives were abundant 10-15 years ago, but as development got more expensive, developers didn't really have a choice other than to make their games available on as much platforms as possible. Exclusives in this day and age are often smaller games, indie games for example or games that were partially funded by the platform holder; Bloodborne for example. As development will get more costly for the NX compared to the 3DS, I do think it's inevitable that we'll see less exclusives.

I think it's a short term solutions to increase the amount of first party titles, but I'm not sure how this will play out in the long term. Anyway, sorry for the wall of text, I think I'll stop here before I ramble on for too long.

I wasnt really surprised that people didnt really buy those games. If you were into hose games you probably owned a ps3 or 360 back in the day. I guess no original wii owner was waiting impatiently on nintendo to release a new console to finally play assassins creed or call of duty. I guess the wii u was interesting for people who wanted some alternatives like mario kart or something and bought the wii u as a secondary or tertiary console wih no need to buy call of duty as most friends played it on different consoles.
Imho opinion nintendo has been quite arrogant with the wii u thinking everybody will buy it just because it has nintendo written on it.

Andrzej777

Rhansley64

As far as I know Nintendo releasing the NX in March 2017 is fully justified. Consider this Microsoft replaced the OG Xbox with the 360 in 4 years + 1 week, Sony discontinued the Vita in 4 years + 2 Months ish after it launched in the Netherlands and Nintendo launched the DS 3 and a half years after GBA, though GBA itself stayed on the market till 2008 and now Nintendo wants to replace Wii U after 4 years + 4 months after it launched. To me they did everything humanly possible (marketing wise after luanched obviously we never got a Pokemon Snap U) to somehow turn it around, but sadly unlike the 3DS after 2015 the writing was on the wall Wii U was far to weak to keep up with the competition so it's successor had to be released much sooner then expected but at the very least they kept it long enough for Sony and Microsoft to either released a stop-gap versions of PS4 and XB1 a.k.a NEO/Scorpio or a completely new Gen with the Neo and the Scorpio to compete with the NX.

Rhansley64

3DS Friend Code: 2449-4690-1695 | Nintendo Network ID: Rhansley64 | Twitter:

kkslider5552000

I will say, the fact that we didn't get a console exclusive Zelda, Metroid and the 3D Mario was an expanded co-op version of the 3DS game might be to Nintendo's advantage. Because disgruntled hardcore Nintendo fans are the only (significant amount of) people that wouldn't get NX specifically because of Wii U's relatively short lifespan, so if they get what they want, I doubt it would matter.

Just a thought. I dunno if someone else has said that.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

DefHalan

Seems like Nintendo are the ones making people regret getting a Wii U. So many Wii U games getting ported to 3DS with extra content.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

AceDefective

My only question at this point is what Nintendo even wants to do with the Wii U anymore.
I mean, clearly there's some support going on but it is so light and sparse it's hard to even call it that, then they port over a bunch of Wii U games over to 3DS to pad out that system's library.
It's hard to not feel jaded and cheated, especially when Nintendo refuses to talk about what is supposedly their 3rd pillar that's quickly becoming their 2nd.

(First post in months and it's a negative one. Such is life I guess)

Edited on by AceDefective

Just some random loser who loves a variety of things.
Youtube Channel | Deviant ART | YoYo Games account |

3DS Friend Code: 2079-6493-1326 | Nintendo Network ID: ZeroZX_Dev | Twitter:

kkslider5552000

DefHalan wrote:

Seems like Nintendo are the ones making people regret getting a Wii U. So many Wii U games getting ported to 3DS with extra content.

But the 2 best Wii U games (Rayman Legends and Shovel Knight) are also games that are elsewhere despite being best on Wii U...

so nothing has changed

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.