Retro Forum

Topic: Has Pokemon eclipsed Mario in popularity?

Showing 41 to 47 of 47

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

41. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Bankai wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

The Pokemon Anime was a Mega-hit, Bankai. It's the only anime that still premiers during the day around here, for instance. The games were also the top games played by Non-gamers back in the late '90/early 00's. It's Mario that's not as well known outside of the game industry.

Mario is more recognisable than Mickey Mouse. Ergo Mario is known by a lot of people outside the games industry.

A popular anime means sweet crap all. One Piece, Bleach, Dragon Ball Z are all massively popular animes - especially in Japan - but no one with a shred of sanity would say any of those are more recognisable than Mickey Mouse, which is well beyond a cartoon character and is a cultural icon. Go up to a group of people aged over 30 and mention any of those anime and you'll get a lot of strange looks.

You're simply commenting from your perspective. The vast majority of the planet has not seen the Pokemon anime, let alone recognises any character from it.

Wait, since when was Mario more recognizable than Mickey Mouse? And since when was that a good judge in this day and age? I thought there are lots of characters more recognizable than Mickey Mouse now?

Nevermind, I looked it up. Everything I find relates to a survey back in the 1990's, and it only related to children. I think it's possible that times have changed. Perhaps it's time for a new survey?

Possibly.

The survey back then was relevant because Mickey Mouse is (or was) considered the most recognisable character in the world.

There are very few characters that have global appeal to the point where even people who haven't seen the material before recognise the characters. Hello Kitty, for instance. Mario, Mickey Mouse, Jedi (specifically the light sabre).

Pokemon is not in the same league as these characters. It's simply not popular (and doesn't exist) in a whole bunch of markets around the world. Mario exists just about everywhere, as does Mickey Mouse.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

42. Posted:

Tech101 wrote:

Common knowledge needs no proof! :P

Common knowledge determines that Mario is vastly more popular than Pokemon is. If your logic was true, there would be no discussion.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Spoony_Tech

43. Posted:

CactusJackson wrote:

Tech101 wrote:

Common knowledge needs no proof! :P

Common knowledge determines that Mario is vastly more popular than Pokemon is. If your logic was true, there would be no discussion.

I see you got my original point to begin with! :)

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

I'm finding this game way too distracting. I would much rather be playing it right now rather than working!
Words to live by!!

Formerly Tech101 and OldMan-Tech

Network ID SpoonyTech

3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: Spoony_Tech

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

44. Posted:

Tech101 wrote:

I see you got my original point to begin with! :)

Your original point is false hence not being a point at all.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Spoony_Tech

45. Posted:

Well I can't prove that its true any more then you can prove that its false! :P.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

I'm finding this game way too distracting. I would much rather be playing it right now rather than working!
Words to live by!!

Formerly Tech101 and OldMan-Tech

Network ID SpoonyTech

3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: Spoony_Tech

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

46. Posted:

Tech101 wrote:

Well I can't prove that its true any more then you can prove that its false! :P.

If you can't prove it's true whatsoever, then how can it not be false? lol

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Spoony_Tech

47. Posted:

CactusJackson wrote:

Tech101 wrote:

Well I can't prove that its true any more then you can prove that its false! :P.

If you can't prove it's true whatsoever, then how can it not be false? lol

Ok. You got me. This is what you've been waiting for since you quoted me. In my opinion!!:)

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

I'm finding this game way too distracting. I would much rather be playing it right now rather than working!
Words to live by!!

Formerly Tech101 and OldMan-Tech

Network ID SpoonyTech

3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: Spoony_Tech