Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 7,121 to 7,140 of 11,914

Zuljaras

@BlueOcean Unfortunately it is true. Right now I am grieving for my PS4 Pro as I sent it for repair because suddenly I get very load electrical buzz coming from it when I start a game.
Fortunately the other consoles does not have such issues.

Edited on by Zuljaras

Banjo-

@Zuljaras Yep, that's exactly what happens with my PS4. It's like an electrical interference on screen and a buzz, it happens randomly in this case, so I don't know what the reason is.

Banjo-

NEStalgia

@Anti-Matter I can't think of any way to buy DLC on an OG XBox at present. Not to mention for licensed games like movie based games, racing games (the car rights expire after a set date), and music games (the music rights expire after a set point) they wouldn't be legally allowed to sell new copies even if they wanted to. Physical can exist because it was already a single transferable license, but DLC is "printing a new license". I think that's lost to the ages, now.

@Zuljaras Ok, seriously, WTF do you do to your consoles? Are you plugging them directly into uranium control rods or something? I thought I had horrible hardware luck, but you actually beat me!

NEStalgia

Zuljaras

@BlueOcean I do not have screen issues just the very loud sound. It happened out of nowhere and now it is happening every time. I just hope the people from SONY are going to really fix it and not overlook it because I am thinking that those companies are starting to take shortcuts just because they can.

@NEStalgia It was ok really. But 2 weeks ago I decided to play some Spider-Man and BAM I hear some very load sound. It could be heard outside the room even.

Edited on by Zuljaras

Banjo-

@Zuljaras Yeah, the buzz is like when somebody connects an electric guitar to an amplifier, isn't it? It's really annoying.

@NEStalgia It looks like some kind of not definitive hardware failure.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Sony: For the LOUD players, so they can drown out any and all unnatural sounds that their consoles might start to make at some unspecified point in time...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Seriously...between the beeping and those guys with their 130kW arcing Playstations, it makes me really sand X1 has that recurring HDD spinup thing, otherwise it would be perfect! Even Switch is loud (docked) compared to X1.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Switch is loud? I've never heard a single sound from my Switch, when playing, and it's sat right in front of my TV screen.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

redd214

Yeah the switch is not even audible when docked for me. Handheld depending on the game you can definitely hear the fans though. Are you playing with your ear to the dock with the sound on mute or something lol. Certainly much much quieter than the X1S no question

redd214

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX It's not loud, it just has a more audible fan than X1X. Game depending. Yoshi's Crafted World seems to stress it more than others.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@redd214 Weird, I've pretty much never heard the fan handheld, I have to put my face near it to feel warm air moving to know it's even running. Docked, it's game dependent but I hear some "white noise" off it with Yoshi for example. It's located near the other two boxes, though of course the fan faces up rather than away from me so that's a difference. It's not disruptive, it's just audible.

NEStalgia

redd214

@NEStalgia yeah it's really game dependant but lately, especially on our launch Switch, the fan gets pretty loud in handheld. Our other one is just as you described for the most part handheld but it's not audible at all docked. Granted, we're 8 or so feet away when it's docked but definitely quieter than the other 2 consoles that's for sure.

redd214

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Hm, okay. Haven't got that game yet, but I suppose that makes sense.
Then again: I'm no audiophile, like you, so I'd probably never be bothered enough to notice either way...

Coupled with the fact that I'm sat 10 feet away from my TV screen, any and all sounds REALLY need to be of the volume of the proverbial plane taking off, or an automatic coffee bean grinder, before I'd become annoyed with it.

I do notice my Xbox 360 spinning discs up and down, that's quite audible, but only if I game late at night, and I have to turn down the volume of the TV to humor my neighbors, does it become somewhat annoying. On other occasions, I can just drown out the noise by raising the volume of the game itself.

NEStalgia

@redd214 Huh, interesting. Mine's launch day (2 of them) and it's quiet like your second one handheld. But definitely audible docked. I'm probably only 3 feet away though (same as with the X1X and PS4 which sit next to each other on the ground, vertical, and the Switch is up on a shelf above them. It's not Zuljaras-level "this is loud and annoying!" It's just that I definitely hear a fan blowing at full speed like a laptop doing some crunching. Which isn't PS4 loud by any stretch X1X is "near-silent" though so that's a special case.

@ThanosReXXX Yeah, if you're on the other side of the room you can't hear it My console set is next to me where the HDMI switch is - an A/V rack in the rear, though the consoles obviously sit next to the rack...not in it. Disc drives in all consoles are highly audible, so that's not much of a console specific thing.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, in ALL consoles... That REALLY is a NEStalgia thing, my friend.
In my personal experience and opinion, the only other culprit in this household that I can think of, is the Sega Dreamcast. The Xbox One S, Wii U, Wii and GameCube are all pretty quiet, regardless of whether or not they're running a demanding game or not.

In fact, I can't even remember ever having really clearly heard the Wii U. I would have to mute the TV for that, probably...

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX No wonder you're no audiophile, you're deafer then Beethoven.

All disc drives are noisy. Every PC, every console...obviously not dedicated CD and DVD players as they spin slowly (relatively) but any data drive spins up fast and is quite audible. Those old Lite-On burners were beasts!

Consoles. PS2 phat, PS3 (phat especially), PS4, PS4 Pro, X360, X360 Elite, Wii, WiiU, they all had plenty audible disc spinning. Not a fault of the machine, just the nature of the tech. With discs, the annoying part wasn't the spindle motor though, it was the slew motor. That electrobuzz sound whenever it retracked to a new sector is jarring in optical data media. I think BD acutally doesn't do that anymore. CD-ROM and DVD-Data did that. And PC games with Starforce protection...where it was actively damaging the slew motor with constant retracks......

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia No, I'm not deaf, I'm just no sissy that gets annoyed by every sound he hears...
I hear the fans of my PC, now that I'm sitting behind my desk typing this reply, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I just accept it as something that comes along with having a PC system running in my living room:
it comes with a bit of noise, but it's not loud noise or a cacophony of sound, or whatever you're trying to make from it.

It almost sounds (pun not intended) like you'd be someone who'd take offense at hearing various kinds of animals and/or insects chirping and chattering away, while taking a walk in a park or nature reserve...

I only get annoyed if devices start to make sounds that are out of the ordinary, but other than that, it's just completely normal to me, and it doesn't bother me. Except for the minor annoyance of the previously mentioned Xbox 360 and Sega Dreamcast disc drives, but even those are ultimately minor transgressions that I can very easily live with.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Oh I wasn't annoyed. That's Zuljaras It's just normal operating sounds. I just meant it was audible.

Nono, I love nature sounds. What I hate is chainsaws, backhoes, tree shredders, construction vehicles, compressors, and trash trucks. All of which are incessant. Plus the almost never-ending background din of high powered 2 and 4-stroke gas trimmers and blowers that sound like chainsaws.

NEStalgia

Banjo-

@NEStalgia I wonder how human beings could invent and, most of all, I wonder how human beings can still use those air blowers than sound like chainsaws and just move leaves from one side of the road to the other. I wonder how the world needs that.

Banjo-

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean Laziness. Mostly just laziness....

I actually have a blower...it's powerful....it's battery powered....still loud up close....I mean like PS4 loud! But it's nothing like the gas monsters. It started for commercial use for landscapers which was bad enough...but I get it. you have one truck, 2-4 guys, and like 25 yard to do before the sun goes down. Speed is everything, and that makes sense. But it's still an annoyance to everyone else in an area where most people don't do their own lawns and higher landscapers. (That along with the crazy powerful commercial lawnmowers that can rip through a soaking wet lawn in the rain with enough horsepower to pull a freight train, and can wake the dead. Nothing like waking up to one of those under your bedroom window...)

But then people started buying those things for personal use! I was just thinking the other day, when I was a kid you never heard all these engines. You heard the rustle of people raking and sweeping leaves, grass, etc. Now it's a non-stop drone of one gas engine after another. Nobody rakes, everybody blows.

And then it hit me.

Everybody blows.

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic