Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 7,101 to 7,120 of 11,914

Banjo-

@Dezzy You can play every Gears game on Game Pass, that's what I intend to do.

Banjo-

ThanosReXXX

@FullbringIchigo That negative track record you're mentioning, only counts for the Xbox 360, not for the original Xbox or the Xbox One, so although I do understand your annoyance about this happening to you, it's a bit silly to put all generations of Xboxes on one heap, to be honest.

Could just be a case of bad luck, though. Too bad it's already out of warranty, otherwise, you could have taken it back to the shop you bought it from. But perhaps you could try and contact the official (online) help desk, or check out the Xbox forums to see if they can still help you out. There's quite a few users in there, so I could imagine at least some of them having experienced similar issues, or perhaps having an idea what's going on with your console.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

FullbringIchigo

@ThanosReXXX well i have been through 5 OG XBOXS, 3 360's and now 2 XB1's so for me it has a very bad track record

(P.S if your wondering i only ever had 1 PlayStation 3 fail on me and 1 Dreamcast, never had a Nintendo fail)

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

ThanosReXXX

@FullbringIchigo Well, that really does sound like an incredible, but very personal, stroke of bad luck.
Either that, or I actually do have to wonder if you really take good care of your stuff, like you mentioned to @NEStalgia, because burning through 5 OG Xboxes, without ever having a hand in it yourself, sounds rather extreme.

Could of course be that other people in your household may (without you knowing) have been partially responsible for that, perhaps, but I can't imagine that all of that is on Microsoft. And considering how many other different consoles have failed on you, that could hardly be filed under coincidence, no offense.

The bad reputation of the Xbox 360 is well deserved, and even I suffered a RROD on my original edition, but on the other hand, Microsoft's service is also second to none: back then, I sent it in for repairs, got it back within the space of ten days, and it is still happily chugging away to this very day, never had any other problem with it since.

And I never had any problems with any of my other consoles or handhelds either, so what you've experienced, certainly isn't par for the course, and definitely isn't part of Xbox's or Microsoft's "reputation".

I'd still say you might be able to get some worthwhile feedback from either Microsoft themselves, or from their user community, through those links I've pointed out earlier. Who knows, perhaps the solution to your problem is really simple.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

rhyeee3216

i got my Xbox 1 for game pass and rare replay and know it has the DC universe app so im loving my xbox waiting for Battle toads.

rhyeee3216

FullbringIchigo

@ThanosReXXX i do take good care of them, they are cleaned regularly, they aint over used, they each have plenty of space and air and in the hot months i even have a air cooler i use to keep my room cool but as for the OG XBOX's you are right and it wasn't just me using them, same with the XB1 like i said the entire family used that and my brother would use my OG XBOX's all the time so yeah it's possible that something could have happened to them (and my brother would never admit to anything even if he did do something)

as for the PS3 that WAS entirely my fault, i was moving it from my room upstairs to the living room and i dropped it down the stairs

and as for the Dreamcast well that had the well known and widely reported Disc read error

i also opened up my XB1 and found that some of the connections weren't soldered in properly so i re-did it and it seems to be working again. at least for now (i knew all that electrical engineering training would come in handy) not tried the the Ethernet port yet though

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

ThanosReXXX

@FullbringIchigo I've heard stories of kids molesting consoles and DVD players/Bluray players while the big brother or parents were gone, so I'm not at all surprised...

Still, quite a few mishaps, though. Can't comment on the Dreamcast, since even though I do own one, it's refurbished, so it has probably already been taken care of, in regards to the disc reading error.

But good to hear that you were able to repair the Xbox One, although I still don't think it's a standard or common fault in the current generation of Xboxes. I'd still put your story up in the Xbox forums, if I were you, just to see if more people had this problem and what they did to fix it.

Either way, good luck with getting rid of it permanently.

NEStalgia

@FullbringIchigo That's pretty strage. The X360 had a specific defect through most of it's iterations that's well known. The RRoD was caused by a bleeding edge, and possibly foolish for the application switch to pinless sockets for the SoC, at a time when RoHS lead-free solder was mandated to replace traditional leaded solder. The manufacturing plant was still using soldering equipment running at the cooler temperature required for traditional leaden solder, not the higher temps required for RoHS solder, so the solder never actually flowed properly. Combined with the stresses of the pinless socket during thermal expansion of operation, cracks through the solder were a guarantee. For every unit made in that time, it wasn't a matter of if, but when the solder would crack and the CPU would lose contact. That was specific to 360 manufacturing and only got resolved with the newly redesigned SoC on the Jasper revision. Early 360's also had a disc scratching issue on the early models if run vertically.

OG X1 however was a tank. They are not known for failure at all. Nor has X1 been known for a lot of problems. The OG model was overbuilt in response to the RRoD perception issue, and there were some issues reported with the first batch of X1X's and the GPU, but other than that there's no scandals (Elite controller bumpers aside.)

Playstation OTOH had YLOD on the Slim PS3's and notoriously fragile disc drives on the Slims. PS2 had a lot of known failures. PS4 seems to be pretty solid outside some launch day problems. Only Nintendo has scathed out of any major recall issue, despite bend-gate and scratch-gate on Switch.

Granted I have an issue with X1X for now related to spinning up the HDDs incessantly, an issue a lot of people have reported at different times, but that's a stupid OS issue, not a hardware issue (until the OS breaks the hardware.....) But that's a little different than your problems! All those OG XB's sound like maybe they were overheating or something.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

FullbringIchigo

@ThanosReXXX well my brother doesn't take care of anything, i think he has broken his phone at least 4 times this year and it's only May but he is my brother and i wasn't going to say no if he wanted to use it and i wasn't

as for the Dreamcast the issue is that there was only a thin piece of plastic, kind of like a lever that was pressed by the disc door so the console would know it was closed and it would easily become misaligned so even though the door was closed the console wouldn't think it was, i just replaced that with a stronger more robust one and now it works fine

and i also don't think it's a common thing, my best guess a slight mess up at the factory, easily done but i was lucky that i have training in electrics so i could fix it

FullbringIchigo

@NEStalgia for my OG XB's 3 had a broken disc draw, they just wouldn't open (as @ThanosReXXX said that was probably a user issue, most likely my brother) one just stopped powering up and the other wouldn't output to the TV, no picture or sound and using different cables didn't work either (and after 3 breaks i had plenty to spare) so i have no idea what happened there BUT they were both used consoles from a shop so they could have been just damaged by previous owners (i should let it be known that those 2 didn't work on purchase, the one that wouldn't output was a replacement for the one that wouldn't power up but the next replacement i got worked fine)

but i did get one that works eventually and had no issues with the 360 after the Slim/360s came out, still running strong even today

ThanosReXXX

@FullbringIchigo Ah... USED consoles. I thought we were talking about all new ones here, in which case 5 failures would have been a catastrophe of almost apocalyptic proportions. The only used console I've ever bought, was a refurbished Dreamcast, as I mentioned in the previous comment, and that was also from a shop with a very good reputation. I don't just buy stuff from private users or smaller game shops.

I've heard too many bad stories about that, to ever trust any of those. Unless it's a private user that I actually know, and can afford to trust...

FullbringIchigo

@ThanosReXXX yeah the only OG XBOX i got new was my very first and that was one that only had a disc draw break, all the rest was used

i checked and i noticed i didn't put that in my original post, so i guess that's what caused all the confusion, sorry

and yeah i usually only get used stuff from stores BUT at that point in time the little town i live in only had ONE shop that sold used consoles and games so i didn't really have a choice

we didn't even get a CeX until 2 years ago and we don't even have a GAME anymore, not since they went bankrupt in 2012 (and even though they was brought out a week later they never re-opened, it's still closed even now, just an empty shop sitting on the high street for the last 7 years)

NEStalgia

@FullbringIchigo That's the difference between the UK and US. In the UK it's an empty store for 7 years. In the US it would have been converted into a nail salon, quick care medical facility, cell phone store, or financial services office 6 years ago. That's all we have as retail moves out is endless rows of nail salons, medical, financial, and cell phone stores. Things most people never use, yet somehow they stay in business. Who is buying all these cell phones?

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Millennials? Expecting moms, to keep their soon to be born babies quiet? Criminals?
Oh, wait...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX LOL, it's never too young for Flappy Bird and some duct tape!

I mean at most you only need one cell phone every 2 years. I don't think most but the most hardcore xda & Apple enthusiasts buy annual phones. How do 30 nearby stores of the same product/service stay afloat when every person really only goes once every other year, or less?

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Because they're.... fronts, for something entirely different, and maybe not so legal?

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Hmmm, you know, I'm naturally suspicious of everything.....but these things are fully corporate AT&T/Verizon/T-Mobile stores, plus their MVNO subsidiaries like Cricket..... either authorized 3rd party franchises (Verizon/TMO) or corporate owned (AT&T). So probably not fronts.

Unlike that pizza place down the street that was busted as a coke dealer.....and I don't mean the 2 liters free with a large 1-topping pizza....

NEStalgia

Banjo-

I don't have a 360 or PS3 but I am aware of all the problems associated with them. My original Xbox One didn't have issues (huge but totally silent) and my Xbox One X doesn't either. My PS4 used to eject discs randomly even while playing forcing games to be closed and losing progress and it was only solved by removing the rubber around the eject button. It also outputs a black screen for half a second randomly, it still does. It also sounds like a hairdryer. Considering that I have used the Xbox One/X much more, the PS4 isn't as solid in my experience.

I had issues with my Wii that had the GPU failure and output green pixels, my first 3DS that also output wrong colours on the top screen. My Wii U has never failed and I have used it a lot. I don't have a Switch of my own but my friends have had the typical Switch issues and it is the worst-built Nintendo console compared to every other that we have ever owned.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

redd214

Only consoles I've ever had any issues with are my launch switch which I think is going to kick the bucket any day now, and my 2nd XB1S. Disc drive didn't work but I didn't know until a couple months after using it. My launch ps4 did start to do the jet engine thing but thankfully it started right around the time they released a new sku so was able to trade it in before it got extreme.

redd214

Anti-Matter

Um...
I want to ask about Xbox games.
Who have ever play Dance Dance Revolution Ultramix 1 ?
Untitled
When i read from remywiki, DDR ultramix has 51 songs by total, plus 30 songs (called Song Pack) from DLC.
I know Xbox Live for Old Xbox has been discontinued very long time ago, so i want to ask :
Can i still get that 30 DLC songs without modding the machine ?

I put the video here:

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic