Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 5,721 to 5,740 of 11,914

redd214

@ThanosReXXX impressive collection sounds like you have there! I have 100s of games but my physical is limited to 10 or so switch games that fit neatly in a little game case under the TV. Only old system I held on to was our original NES form the late 80s never really been a collector.

Dragon Age dev is teasing some news on the franchise soon, lines up nicely with it being on gold next month. Seems like a Game Awards announcement!

redd214

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean Unfortunately it's listed as not compatible with the Brook X360 to X1 converter

NEStalgia

Banjo-

@NEStalgia Oh. By the way, you didn't have the GameCube?

EU hit Asterix & Obelix XXL 2: Mission: Las Vegum launches today on all consoles. I want to see the reviews of this remake.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

ThanosReXXX

@BlueOcean Well, I'd also choose the Daytona setup, but only hypothetically speaking, since I wouldn't have a clue where to put it...

@NEStalgia I have been tempted to buy the Fallout arm piece gizmo, that you could click a smart phone into,
to make it look like the ""real" thing, but like with the wonky air wheel, I ultimately decided against it.

@redd214 Thanks! If I had to add all my digital games to it, then the Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360, Xbox One, DS, and PC collection combined would probably easily double in size...

Mind you, it might seem to be the case, but I'm really not a collector either. Just someone that hates to part with his cherished belongings (especially the ones with so many memories and good times attached to them), and someone who always keeps in mind that there will come a time when he will want to play that old game on
the original console, for sentimental reasons, or just for fun or otherwise...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean Nope, no GameCube, no N64! I had the VirtualBoy and that took the money that would have gone into an N64, plus I wasn't quite as enthused with N64 as I was with SNES sprites, and around that time I was just getting into PC which was a monumental leap over what any of the consoles were doing at the time, and ended up SNES, then PC-only from the N64 through GCN eras. I caught up on the GCN library (or at least a lot of it) with the Wii BC though. With an authentic Wavebird I picked up used just before they vanished! So I only half-missed GCN, I just got to it late on BC hardware. I have yet to play Mario Sunshine, though...

N64....TBH I'm still not a big fan of the hardware itself, and the majority of the best games have since been re-released on better hardware, either the 3DS or the XBoxen

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX "I'm not a collector, I'm just a hoarder!" Though I think that applies to most of us gamers....it's just how we're wired (thus the stockpiled cheese meme for the E3 Skyrim Amazon Alexa Edition sketch)

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Stockpiled cheese? Depending on the type/sort, that is potentially going to create a HUGE, smelly problem in the summer...
I think I'll just stick with hoarding consoles and games, thank you...

"I have yet to play Mario Sunshine, though... "

Oh, my aching heart. You cultural barbarian...

Needs to be played on original hardware, though. Wii BC is nice, but Wavebirds don't have rumble, and the GameCube controllers rumble was pretty damn good, especially for its time.
And GameCubes can be had for less than $50 nowadays. Shops like Lukie Games, who also sell online, have a great assortment. Not that you're actually ever going to make use of it, but just sayin'...

By the way: have you bought Black yet?

Also: still waiting on that Xbox invite. Also does a world of good for all Forza Horizon games: gamers connected to each other can use that other players in-game avatar to adopt them into their racing crew, and gather free points and credits from them, even when they're not online, so something worth considering.

And another thing: in case you haven't noticed it yourself yet, last week I decided to start using that Microsoft Rewards app, that has now appeared on the Xbox One's app store. Also good for free credits, but system wide, so you can buy games with it and everything. You might want to look into that one as well.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX It's Skyrim, not Morrowind, silly....there's no issue, it's always winter there. I'd be more concerned about consuming cheese that fell out of a wooden barrel in a 2000 year old ruin infested with rats and undead, but that's just me....

The GameCubes now cost less than the analog adapters to use them.... No Black yet, either

Ahh, yeah I do have to get back around to doing the invite. I do still have to figure out how to verify how to ensure nobody can see anybody else. The only people on my friends list are actually industry folk from back when I was a critic, so I have to make sure I'm not "outing" them so to speak

Ahh, how exactly does the rewards app work? I get my emails about points I've earned, etc, but I've never found a way prior to actually use them on the MS store for games purchases, it seems to always throw me into Surface, Winphone, and Office 365 stuff. Maybe the app makes that better.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@redd214 @BlueOcean @Yosheel @Ryu_Niiyama @Grumblevolcano @BrainOfGrimlock @Dezzy @DarthNocturnal @DarkRula @PikPi @ReaderRagfish @JaxonH @Angelic_Lapras_King

You people might also want to install that Microsoft Rewards app on your Xbox One, if you haven't done so already.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/microsoft-rewards-on-xbox/9...
I mean: free Marketplace store credit build up, who doesn't want that, right?

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia This is going to be weird, but anyway: I was talking about stockpiling REAL world cheese...

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Not wanting to notify any other people is just a matter of checking/unchecking a few options in the system settings.

The Rewards app works as simple as can be: watch movie or game trailers, do the odd questionnaire every now and then and earn your free credit points. It's clicks for Microsoft and partners, and credits for you. Easy as pie.

ThanosReXXX

@DarthNocturnal It certainly has. The first time I used it, I already earned 500 points or so, by watching three trailers and doing one questionnaire.

@NEStalgia I wouldn't blame you if you wouldn't take my word for it, but I've never had any interest in friends of friends concerning online communities. I've never even browsed my real-life friends' friends list on Xbox Live. I just connect to them, and play games or chat with them. For all I care, they're connected to Elon Musk or Donald Trump.

I'd never use that info anyway, and besides: I'm not even living in the US, so what the heck would I do with information on people working there? And if people want to check out my friends list, well they can have a ball with it, I have no secrets or people to protect. All of them have avatar names anyways, so good luck making any real world sense of them...

Anti-Matter

@ThanosReXXX
Um... Hello.
I'm back.
One question about Xbox machine.
I heard Microsoft wants to release Xbox Classic on December 2018, same day as PlayStation Classic.
So, the Xbox Classic will be SAME as NES / SNES Classic ?
I mean, Xbox Classic will come in smaller size than Original Xbox, filled with pre-installed some games, cannot read any Xbox disks games ?
To be honest, from Old Xbox, i just want to play Dance Dance Revolution Ultramix 1 - 4.

Anti-Matter

BrainOfGrimlock

@ThanosReXXX yep, got that badboy down thanks, as you say - it’s money, and it’s free!

My internet is still down so writing on a phone so will keep it short and sweet - just remember when people object to ‘always online’ because of dodgy internet and you think ‘surely that’s only the most isolated/rural of places that would be affected?’ that nope, companies like Telstra will do their best to prove that wrong! Mines been down over three days now, next suburb has been 5!!

What’s been funny/not funny is me tethering both boxes to my phone just to get the cloud save to sync between machines so i can keep playing! Have to keep the second one tethered but it’s working ‘ok’. Did nearly miss two updates that i had to pause - the 18gb & 12gb downloads may have pushed my data allowance this close to month end!!

Heard/read nothing about an Xbox classic, but wouldn’t that fly in the face of gamepass a touch? Just doesn’t seem like a very MS thing to do?

BrainOfGrimlock

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia Aww, I was hoping I wouldn't get suckered into a text wall today. Everybody else, nothing to see here lol. Sorry for the derail.

Oblivion is in many ways more enjoyable to Skyrim but the amount of ini tweaks and mods I had to install is the reason I've yet to go back. I kinda always liked the psychic guards (especially when the witness system doesn't work like it should in Skyrim sometimes..I killed everybody...an animal should not be a witness and get me a bounty. I don't even play evil characters and this bothers me.) Don't me started on Audens Avidius in Oblivion...dude can follow me into an oblivion gate in rags with only an iron dagger...what?! I think that Oblivion hit the wrpg sweet spot for TES... the underlying gameplay systems were involved enough to keep one engaged (spellmaking/more robust enchanting/repair) which is fairly essential since Oblivion was just a few types of quests and dungeon wandering. I do prefer the radiant quest system but I think that is more due to the fact that Skyrim felt empty and somewhat static in a way that Oblivion didn't. I understand the geography was part of it... I live in the desert now so I understand samey climate in a way that as a native North Carolinian I never had to deal with but it made that huge world...a slog (and I have wracked up close to 1000 hours in skyrim). Oblivion was a bit more diverse but still believably so. I also think that a lot of the guild quests for oblivion felt more intimate than the skyrim ones, and since after the main story they are where you spend a lot of your time having a personal investment to the quests means something. Oblivion quests felt like you built trust with the quest givers and you are part of a plan you are working together on. (I cant speak for the dark brotherhood quests.) but Skyrim felt a bit more disjointed and some parts felt like they didn't mesh with every character (I play an altmer...why the heck are you giving me wuthraad like that is ok? ) but the oblivion ones did.

Still the biggest issue overall is how Bethesda handles their development. They keep going bigger is better, but they ship bugs everywhere (and no you can't hang that on the engine...its really shoddy QA/playtesting), they streamline the RPG aspects (but still leave inventory management a mess) and my personal favorite gripe ...their textures (and character models) looks like nobody took an anatomy class or a design class. They have some of the most robust NPC AI designs (as in scheduling, tasks, travel and even in oblivion allergies for that one quest...ahem...) but then the game is buggy and breaks half of it on launch. Thank Hylia for unofficial patches.

What I would do anything to see however is more fleshed out guild quests...as in they can branch into an end game. I understand why you have to be the chosen one...but a murder doesn't want to save the world so it is immersion breaking. For a game that allows you to ignore the main storyline it is odd that they don't come up with other forms of plot progression in the other sweeping story arcs (such as the guild or faction quests) Perhaps the radiant system is trying to get there...eventually but they leave so much else broken that I'm not sure what the fix is. New leadership? Younger devs writing the stories? A full over haul of the system (thank goodness fallout is their lab rat series). I'm not sure yet. However from what I've heard about TESO some of what I want is present in the online game...so I feel like zenimax and bethesda need to compare notes.

...and yet the freedom to do mostly what you want keeps me going back. and the mods. Gotta love the mods.

Sorry I'm late (I trimmed my response to not hijack) but we have been busy this week and short staffed.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

ThanosReXXX

@redd214 You're welcome. As for not making much use of it: it just allows you to collect credits that you can spend on ANYTHING available on Xbox Marketplace, so that includes car packs for Forza and what not, so...

It's basically Microsoft's version of Nintendo's Star Catalog. Except here, the gifts are actually useful and don't cost an arm or a leg to collect or buy...

@Anti-Matter Yeah, I noticed a couple of days ago you were online again. Welcome back, man. As far as your question goes, though: I honestly haven't heard about any plans for an Xbox Classic Mini. If you ask me, that's also highly unlikely. Either way, since I don't know anything about it, I'm not really able to say anything useful about it.

@BrainOfGrimlock I know right? People save points and coupons for who knows what, without ever stopping to think about what you could trade them in for, and Microsoft actually gives you free credit, ON TOP OF 4 free game downloads every month, to spend on whatever you like from their own online Xbox Marketplace. Why the heck wouldn't you want to make use of that? And it's near-effortless as well: the point collecting only costs you a couple of minutes per month...

As for the rest of your comment: I think the part about the internet-related stuff is directed at someone else?
I can't remember having a discussion with you about always online...

BrainOfGrimlock

@ThanosReXXX sorry, there’s no ‘stop-@‘ button! The last bit/my ‘always online’ comment wasn’t directed at anyone other than ‘the internet’!

I remember when ol’ Don first unveiled his master plan for the One and people went nuts, that there were some laughing at the idea that people would still be having issues in this day and age! I was living in the Netherlands (think you & Octane both live there?) at the time & even I didn’t realise how bad it could be as I sat enjoying my 100Mb fibre connection!

Fast forward some 5 years and I sit lamenting the 3 day loss of my 35Mb cable line whilst wondering when the national fibre project will ever roll out to me (late 2019 apparently). I live 15 minutes drive from Sydney CBD (or the opera house/bridge for context) so it’s hilariously bad! The best part is the support guy who told me that for $250 plus an extra $15 per month they can send me a new modem/router that has built in 4g backup to prevent against these issues - sure, create a problem and sell me the solution, why wouldn’t I have an issue with that?

BrainOfGrimlock

ThanosReXXX

@ReaderRagfish Well, can't speak for the others, but I've played all of them. Don''t ask me if I've actually finished all of them, though...

But in all seriousness: I got some consoles later than my friends did, and while that wasn't really an issue in the offline days, other than simply not having access to that latest game that your friend did already own, it did become quite the issue once I got my Xbox 360, almost two years after my friends did. I was far behind in games, and was very lucky to find at least one of them willing and able to help me out with quite a few of them, such as nearly all of the Call of Duty's and Gears of War games, and the Halo games, and now, on the Xbox One, with Destiny 2 and so on.

But for him, it's pretty much all "been there, done that", so I'm quite grateful that he doesn't mind going through the trouble of playing them all again, to help me out.

As for the "hoarding" of games: many I've bought on a discount. Because of me usually being later than my friends, I could pretty much buy nearly all the games they played at almost half the price that they paid for it.

And sometimes, I also bought large amounts of games in one go, simply to collect the (in my opinion) must-have titles, before they disappeared from store shelves forever. In order to achieve that goal, I did also end up having to buy several used games, but I prefer to buy them new, because I always take really good care of my things, and with used games, you can never tell, other than checking the disc for scratches and what not.

BrainOfGrimlock

On the subject of wheels, my friend had a logitech which I was always envious of (great pieces of kit), but I was completely spoilt at a trade show back in Europe when I got to have a go on a triple screen Fanatec setup. Insanely expensive compared to other wheels but holy heck are they something else...

With cats and Sydney accommodation being mostly apartments i’ve held off buying a wheel for the longest time - I do have this recurring nag whenever I play a racer though that makes me think about dropping the cash; maybe when they get FH working at similar detail/resolution in VR i’ll take the plunge!

Edited on by BrainOfGrimlock

BrainOfGrimlock

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic