Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 9,221 to 9,240 of 16,083

Shellcore

@toiletduck Also playing through Horizon. Not sure how far I am in the story, but showing over 70% completion in the stats screen. I made the mistake of chasing all the collectibles before continuing with the story. It slowed down the game and I started to get bored. Felt like a Ubisoft game. However, now I'm focused on quests the game is improving and all those bonfires I unlocked have sped up travel around the map no end. All in all, I am enjoying it but it seems to play it a little safe in terms of design. The world is beautiful, but the towns/cities don't seem "alive" as such. Combat is great apart from flying enemies. So, yeah, I like it, but it hasn't won me over like it seems to have others.

TuVictus

Well, with my geeking out over Steven Universe lately, I got the PS4 game. As far as licensed show games go, it's not half bad. Certainly no contender for "best rpg" in any sense of the word, but the game oozes the same charm from the show, which is what's keeping it going for me. Also helps that the lore is written by the show creator herself.

As for something more relevant, I'm kinda bummed to hear RE2R won't have a VR mode of some kind. I think RE7 was the first game to really make people consider VR if at least for a little while. It would have been cool to get a surprise 1st person version of the game after you beat it

TuVictus

Ralizah

So, not really PS4 related, but it involves the DS4 so I'll use that as my excuse.

DS4 + configurable gyro aiming is the ultimate controller.

Full stop.

I played the DOOM demo again on Steam after hooking up the DS4 and, after a minute of configuring the controls, I was greeted with an unbelievable amount of precision in my aiming. It's even better than the gyro controls in the Switch version. Usually I die at least once or twice when running through the demo on the default difficulty, but I ripped and teared my way through it without a single death. Cool maneuvers I could only previously pull off with M+K, like jumping and shooting an enemy in the face with my shotgun before I landed, was even easier with this setup. It accomplishes everything I've ever wanted from the flawed Steam controller.

It's so good. So, so, so good.

@MisterPi It'd be a ton of extra work for something that wouldn't have wide appeal. RE7 was designed from the ground up to play nice with VR, but the same can't be said of RE2R.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Haruki_NLI

@Ralizah You wouldn't know that by looking at the PushSquare article

To be honest, I'd use the gyro on PS4 just like I would on any system. If anything used it.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

TuVictus

Yep, I know. A slight bummer is all.

TuVictus

NEStalgia

@Ryu_Niiyama I've never even heard of it before. Or if I have only in such passing I don't immediately recognize it beyond some tiny spark in the back of my mind. What the heck kind of jobs are you required to take that for? Not that the test isn't interesting, but I think any place that's wrapped so tight around procedures and metrics and assigning labels to things I'd turn around and walk out the door in under an hour, otherwise it would lead to an incident that may or may not involve sedation and prison time.

@toiletduck Does BoTW clone count as a genre? (Yes, I realize they launched the same week...) Ultimately I'd call it an open-world action adventure with RPG elements (because what doesn't have RPG elements?)

@Knuckles-Fajita LOL!

@Ryu_Niiyama You know, I'm slightly feeling bad with the CDO joke now....I'm starting to think you're legit OCD! I mean I joke that I am, and an some regards I am...to be a serious gamer you almost have to be slightly...but not like that!

NEStalgia

Haruki_NLI

@NEStalgia When SPC support was added to Steam I was overjoyed at having the ability to use motion aiming on PC at last.

Then someone in my community pointed out that the DS4 has gyro and I was legitimately shocked.

The touchpad is a glorified button, thr lightbar is pointless and nothing uses gyro.

Half of this controller is never used and its not because the player decides not to use it.

Ralizah

@Knuckles-Fajita "Hardcore" purists with their janky twin-stick aiming really don't know what they're missing.

I knew shooters were better with gyro on PC, but I had forgotten how much better they were. It's night and day. It's most of the precision of mouse aiming with the comfort of a pad. It's better than anything on Switch, and Switch gyro is better than anything on PS4.

I'm not even sure if I want to play anything that requires aiming on PS4 anymore. I guess it depends on how much I care about the exclusive.

I'm eager now to reinstall some of my Fallout games and test it on them.

@Tsurii DS4 always had gyro, but almost nothing on the PS4 uses it. Steam allows you to use gyro aiming with it, though, and it's absolutely brilliant.

Edited on by Ralizah

Haruki_NLI

@Ralizah To quote Sammy, its only something Nintendo fanboys blather on about and isn't that important.

But you know, he also said portable gaming was dead, that PSVR has a bright future despite effectively dominating and stagnating the market, and that cross-play doesn't matter.

So you know, well informed to comment on people having preferences. /s

Grumblevolcano

PS4's usage of DS4 gyro is worse than Wii U's usage of the Wii U Gamepad.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

@Knuckles-Fajita Sammy's weird vendetta against portable gaming is incredibly funny. He's even suggested that the Switch's hybrid design was meant to save Nintendo's handheld business. Because, you know, it has been Nintendo's handhelds that have failed to sell well.

Well, anyway, he seems to go to bat for pretty much any stupid thing Sony does. He's the Sarah Huckabee Sanders to Sony's Trump.

@Tsurii I've only used it in Gravity Rush. It was clearly only included for VR purposes, although the unintended consequence is that it now doubles as the ideal PC controller.

@Grumblevolcano Touchpad is almost as bad, being used as a glorified select button in most games. It's really a waste.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia I worked a few federal jobs before. And I had to take it for one of the undergraduate schools I applied to back in high school. Also my mother is a Vocational Counselor so I have taken many a personality test in my day.

No reason to feel bad. That disorder requires compulsive behavior, which I don’t have. Having a system of structure is not the same as requiring it due to compulsive behavior. I know it’s the in thing for everybody to have some form of mental illness but (mine are depression and PTSD but that was induced by the trauma of how I became an amputee and being horrifically bullied in response) but I don’t have any form of compulsive behavior.

I just like data and manipulating it (which includes organizing it)... research is my vice. I firmly believe one cannot learn enough. Hence all the hobbies.

And before someone gets offended, that is not a dig on someone that legitimately has a compulsive disorder (everyone on the internet likes to armchair diagnose which I ignore).

All the talk about horizon reminds me that I need to trade that in and get the complete version.

Never understood why sony stuffed all that stuff in the DS4. I have no issues with exploring tech but they never use it and the gyro has imo always been bad.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Haruki_NLI

I just booted my PS4 and had a check.

Games I own that use (Out of 22 titles);

Touchpad - 1 (Binding of Isaac, moves the map around the screen. Woo)
Gyro - 0
Light Bar - 0 (Some do trippy effects like ADIOS has it flash to the music and Mighty No. 9 changes colour to match weapons, nothing gameplay wise though)

But if I boot my Switch real quick and count the features used there (Out of 44 titles);

NFC - 9
HD Rumble - 27
Gyro - 10
IR Camera - 2
Touchscreen - At least 6, for either gameplay or navigation

That's quite shocking.

Haruki_NLI

@Ralizah To rate at which Sammy will defend Sony is...alarming almost to a fault.

"Don't need backwards compatability" despite...the PS2....being the system...that started that...as a standard feature of hardware...then the PS3....

"Don't need crossplay" but you wont always be in the lead. It can change and we have seen how Sony stumbles to hubris.

"Portable gaming is dead because PSP was considered a flop and Vita failed and 3DS cant match that" sure, but that is down to numerous factors not of the market itself. It still has a perfectly healthy market share, akin to what the Xbox 360 and PS3 achieved around 80m when all is said and done. That's GOOD. Sure its not the highs of the DS, but nothing has matched the PS2, so does that mean console gaming is dead too? The market changes and as long as it doesn't dip to Dreamcast levels, we will be fine. Besides, to say "It sold half as much as the last one DOOMED" is...well I mentioned the PS2.

His love for VR is founded, but he also refuses to acknowledge that...it's...never going to be big. It cant be by virtue of what it is. That's just nature. But he's also deluded into saying its healthy when it never gets blockbusters, or games big enough to warrant an exclusive purchase, it has a barrier of needing a PS4, and even Sony admits its fallen behind and won't recover unless competition picks up.

In fact, in a young and new market, not having competition is disastrous. With PSVR so far head, granted its only a few million sales total anyway, shows the competition cant keep up. Because they cant, people move to just PSVR. But because its just PSVR, natural evolution in the market ceases, and it becomes Sony forcing the next step rather than competition encouraging it.

But no, to the guys at PS that's "Fine". Sure. Cant look at one and say "Excellent" and the other "Doomed", even when Sony is saying VR isn't the hot ticket anymore because of the market.

I think it embodies everything I dont like about PS fans, and the concept of fandoms in general. So smug, well at least Sony ones are, and neverendingly defensive about everything. Open your horizons a little people. It doesn't hurt. Variety is the spice of life.

Dezzy

Grumblevolcano wrote:

PS4's usage of DS4 gyro is worse than Wii U's usage of the Wii U Gamepad.

The fail-rate of new hardware gimmicks in gaming is remarkably high. Almost nothing seems to stick permanently.
Even the things which work almost perfectly, like using gyro controls for aiming a bow/gun from a stationary character, don't really catch on.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Haruki_NLI

@Tsurii Here's the thing. He's a nice guy away from it all. Perfectly fine. At least, he used to be.

Then I see posts on Twitter about how he enjoys publishing articles to wind up Sonic and FF fans, and constant posts of ResetERA with the Caption: Nintendo Fanboys.

Oh and my personal favourite: "Dear indie developers, please send your keyart without f****** logos plastered over it".

NEStalgia

@Ryu_Niiyama " I worked a few federal jobs before. "
Oooooohhhhhh, that explains everything.....

Wow, Thanos thought I was nuts for wanting folders/groups on PS/XB to organize my digital games by genre. That's about the most organization I have of any sort. I may organize most played/prioritized/memorable up first, least played/backcompat at the bottom, but that's about as far as I'll go Or sometimes. For PS4 I just make the first 3 the most genre-defining/cool artwork so the cool ones show up/identify the genre easily on the home screen. I'm not even slightly artistic (at all) but I like things to have a nice looking flow that doesn't redirect focus (a bright white tile next to a bunch of mixed-color tiles, etc) PS4 folders are kind of Android-level ugly though. Sure X1 just has a text description header, but it works well, and looks nice when you pull it down. "3 icons and a folder icon" isn't my ideal. Maybe themes fix that?

Nintendo's worse than Sony with tech exploration, but the Map Butto...err....touchpad was just a sad addition...what did they expect it to be used for? The gyros were because Nintendo did it (of course) but it's sucky low res ones. I wish they did use it. I almost refuse to play shooters without gyro aiming now. I don't care that Doom and Wolf are ugly on Switch, at least it aims properly! Although it was funny to see Nintendo copy the Share button, the single most laughed at feature of the DS4. Must be a Japan thing?

@Knuckles-Fajita The light bar is the only useful feature of the DS4 gimmicks, though it's retroactively useful. It's a required feature for PSVR to function for controller positioning.

@Ralizah But if you're on PC....why not just use a mouse?! Heck I had one of those PS3 adapters imported from China just to use a mouse for Killzone 3 I was just leaving PC at the time and getting away from mouse was unpleasant. Also, who aims in Fallout? V.A.T.S. is the whole point. Well, except 76 because "shared world"......ffffuuuuuu!

@Dezzy I really don't get why gyro aiming doesn't catch on (and why MS doesn't even include gyros in their otherwise superior controllers (@Ralizah ) It's seriously better than stick aiming by any objective metric. I don't get why it hasn't become popular.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia I find keyboards to be a massive nuisance when it comes to character movement... being a console gamer. Like, anything requiring quick successions of key strikes make a game impossible for me to play with M+K. I've tried. I just can't. Had to play Wolfenstein: TNO with a gamepad, which sucked.

But, despite being a console gamer, I find pure dual stick aiming to be clunky. After getting used to gyro aiming, dual stick aiming feels antiquated and kind of gross, like Goldeneye must feel to anyone who has played a console shooter since the N64.

And, believe it or not, I'm not a huge fan of VATS-scumming combat encounters in Fallout. I like a good firefight as much as anyone. But it's uncomfortable on PS4 because of dual stick aiming and uncomfortable on PC by default because I have to use a keyboard.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia That's why I mentioned having no issues exploring tech... Nintendo will experiment in a second, but Sony... Sony always half implements everything (You want BC on your ps3 um yeah so multiple SKUs some poor digital implementation and market confusion later and yeah...um we don't need BC. You want motion controls? Yeah...move wands that are barely supported and dropped/forgotten rather quickly.)

Even all the stuff they threw into the vita was overkill and poorly used. I ended up with a touchscreen back that I was terrified to get scratched (and I still have a scratch on it that I have no idea where it came from since the system lives in a case) and like maybe two games that used it (AC liberation and Tearaway).

It is like they are afraid to commit just in case of market backlash.

I miss the wiiu folders... that is the only thing I want on the Switch. I don't have enough digital games on the twins to need folders....unless you can hide all the extra busywork in the dashboards.... that would be nice.

Gyro isn't popular because it requires movement beyond the thumbs...and the dudebros aren't having that.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic