Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 9,241 to 9,260 of 16,083

Ralizah

@Ryu_Niiyama I love my Vita, but that back touchpad is such a nuisance! I wish there was a way to permanently disable it. I need to find a case or something that covers it up.

And I've gotta say, it was incredibly short-sighted of Sony not to put triggers on the Vita 2000, if only for remote play purposes. No, instead you have to buy expensive accessories to play a bunch of games like a normal person (even Vita releases like Axiom Verge!)

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Ryu_Niiyama

@Ralizah Not gonna lie, I switched to the VitaTV and have not really gone back to the system. That scratch I mentioned does cause input issues (and its a small one which means I hit it by accident all the time) so I just switched.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Octane

@Tsurii Apart from Gravity Rush 1 and 2, Tearaway Unfolded makes good use of the DS4's features, including the gyro. Infamous Second Son does so as well, and the recent Detroit: Become Human also uses it too. And Dreams... soon(?).

And I guess TLOU also uses it to recharge the flashlight, but that's quite limited. I believe the sequel has the same gimmick, but don't quote me on that.

Octane

NEStalgia

@Ralizah It just takes practice. I grew up on Nintendo. Learning PC games took some time. But then after years of that it took years to figure out how to deal with sticks. To me, trying to play a shooter on PC without a mouse is like trying to play Fire Emblem with Donkey Kongas.

No, Fallout aiming is just uncomfortable, period. It plain sucks. I mean it's the same mechanics as Skyrim swords which is infamously horrible as well. V.A.T.S. saved it. I'm veeery skeptical of 79.

@Ryu_Niiyama Don't forget the awesome PS4 remote play that uses that rear touch screen as L1/L2/R1/R2! I mean who couldn't love that control scheme? It was basically Sony's minaturized copy of Nintendo, decades late:
Untitled

Vita did the same, but just for fingers.
"Now you're playing with body power!" Best slogan ever. Hide it from the internet.

We do remember what happened with Lair.....maybe that made them hesitant to use their tech (then again they started PSVR, so no?)

"Gyro isn't popular because it requires movement beyond the thumbs...and the dudebros aren't having that."
I think you may have misspelled "12 year olds" I can picture them now. Vacuously staring at the screen, fingers flipping controller sticks faster than we can ever manage, and the rest of their body disturbingly motionless, minus the obscenities hurled through a microphone because they're so mature.

The dudebros just got back from lifting at the gym and now that the bottom of their red solo cup is visible, they're playing with motion controls even when the game doesn't support it. The bikini armor is the only reason they were even playing to begin with.

@Ralizah "instead you have to buy expensive accessories to play a bunch of games like a normal person " Well, the cost seems a bit more sensible if you can find a bundle with Odyssey included.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Octane Gravity Rush and Tearaway were Vita tech demo games, so it makes sense they use them. Infamous Second Son? Nah. Shaking the controller to stir the paint was such a frustrating Wii like gimmick. I love the game...but that was not a good use for motion controls, that was a launch gimmick. Interested to see how Detroit does it though!

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia FO79 is just going to devolve into the usual chaos most pvp multiplayer games do. No interest whatsoever.

I've played multiple games with mouse and keyboard. I like using the mouse for aiming, but the keyboard just isn't comfortable for movement. It's worse than trying to control a 3D game with a D-Pad. DS4 + Gyro affords me comfortable movement and mouse-like accuracy in terms of aiming.

I got the Steam controller a while back because it seemed like the compromise I wanted, but the touch-sensitive pads were just a massive pain to use. It's an interesting way to play a game. But, then, so is playing a game with DK Bongos, and I'd never recommend that to people.

Edited on by Ralizah

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Yeah, I'm afraid of that. The fact they're doubling down on you must play it online. What is it with this? Why is every company insisting that everything must be online? Is it to cash in on the inexplicable success of Fortnite and friends? I guarantee you TES6 will follow the same format if 79 is successful. Might as well just play ESO.

Can you pat your head and rub your stomach (or play piano (not that I can...) ) ? Serious question. With keyboard you're doing multiple simultaneous inputs at once. you're holding forward while toggling the side to side keys. It's very fluid, but does require coordination in conjunction with each other and the mouse. I don't want to game at a desk anymore so I dont' play K+M anymore either...but I do miss it.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia It's fine. If FO4 was any indication, single-player games in that series come with their own annoyances that ruin the game.

If a game JUST requires movement using keys, then I'm OK with that (analog stick is inherently more comfortable, but whatever). But when I need to stretch my pinky to hit the shift key to sprint, or the spacebar to jump, or hit some combination of keys to quickly slide under an obstacle as I frequently had to do in Wolfenstein, it became uncomfortable.

Why play with a method that requires me to hit multiple inputs in quick succession all over a keyboard when a controller is so much more comfortable and allows for easier movement? Because of the precision of mouse aiming. But if you have something that approximates that precision (gyro), then there's no reason to learn to deal with an overly complex apparatus for character movement.

Edited on by Ralizah

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Wait, you're not using ARROW keys, are you? Why would your pinky be hitting space....your thumb hits space (and remains permanently on on space), your pinky hovers naturally over shift, and your fingers are on WASD, and can stretch up to numrow for weapon switches. Arrow keys went out of style in 1990.

Wait, are you left handed? I'd never considered keyboard and mouse with a left handed setup. For that matter maybe that's why you actually like the horrendously awful DualShock! I honestly don't know what a southpaw keyboard/mouse combo would handle like.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia Of course not. I use WASD like a normal person.

I can see how my post implied I hit the spacebar with my pinky. I hit shift and ctrl with my pinky (so my pinky actually rests between them, because otherwise I just hit shift whenever I intend to hit ctrl) and space with my thumb, in a sort of claw posture. It's spectacularly uncomfortable. ESPECIALLY if it requires I hit multiple keys across the keyboard in quick succession.

NEStalgia

@Ralizah I think it just takes an adjustment period. But, whatever works ergonomically is what works. At least good Playstation controllers exist.
Untitled

(Edit: I really wish this site scaled images....such a pain to always have to find only small images to not flood the whole post with a giant 20x30 billboard.)

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Octane

@NEStalgia Tearaway Unfolded is a bit different from Tearaway on the Vita. An ''expanded remake'' is what Wikipedia calls it, but a lot of the Vita gimmicks were replaced with the DS4 gimmicks. The giant finger popping up through the screen in the Vita version isn't in the PS4 version for example, and that was quite a big feature in that game.

Infamous did show that the gyro was surprisingly accurate though. Aiming when spraying paint worked really well.

Detroit has motion based QTEs

Octane

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia I think I missed about half of that joke. But accurate description of the worst COD fans. I didn't know dudebros like motion controls now. Also UGH bikini armor. I still think that penny arcade did a hilarious rendition of that for the second PoP game.

Also wow... spidey ps4 is sold out on amazon... ugh...

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

NEStalgia

@Octane Oh, that's good to know! I actually just bought it on the last big sale. I loved the Vita game, but the framerate got so bad it was a little nauseating to play. I figured a PS4 Pro may help my Vita game play properly.

"The giant finger popping up through the screen in the Vita version isn't in the PS4 version for example"
The game never did tell us which finger we were using. We know anyway though.....

Oh boy, motion based QTEs......my excitement for the game just shrank a little!

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Ryu_Niiyama ....and the emptying red Solo cup leading to motion control use when not supported went right over the head....

Sucks that the Spidey PS4 sold out. I'm kind of surprised it sold out that early. Sony's pulling a Nintendo it seems.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia Oh man, why would anyone ruin a DS4 like that? Look at that fat, awkward looking thing.

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia Oh, is that for drinking alcohol? (I think...maybe?) I don't imbibe at all myself (no interest, expensive and it goes to your bladder, impairs the senses and mental faculties, and I've not had a drink that tastes ...well tasty. Plus the smell of beer gives me a headache, only thing I hate about going to hockey games... sigh.) If it isn't drinking... then I don't know. lol

Well it sold out on Amazon...which I wanted because I can back out easier if I change my mind.

Anybody played Ni No Kuni II (yeah I'm behind), I found it on sale and I'm thinking about it. I've played the first two already. How is the new one?

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

redd214

@Ralizah agreed, that controller looks horrendous, poor thing lol

redd214

NEStalgia

@Ralizah It may be difficult to comprehend a controller that doesn't require dislocating your thumb to hold forward for a Naughty Dog walking simulator, but they really do exist! (Ok, I admit the triggers are pretty sucky on there....but, that just gives it the authentic PS4 controller experience..... something would be lost if the triggers actually felt like triggers. Heaven forbid my PS4 had triggers even half as decent as my weedwacker. )

@Ryu_Niiyama LOL smacks head against wall.
Yeah the red solo cup is kind of the universal frat boy beer consumption device (when funnels and PVC tubing are unavailable.) Hallmark stores even sold red Solo cups on a stem base as "redneck wine glasses" as a novelty gag a few years back, so the joke is "mainstream" in the whole soccer-mom sense of the word. I also share your distaste for it, actually...yay. two on the forum. Internet high five! (Control freaks, unite?)

NNKII, bought it both in steelbox and digital................and still have yet to play it....

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic