Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter: World

Posts 861 to 880 of 1,570

Haru17

Untitled

This is Nergigante's finisher (?) attack that it performs when its entire body has become black. You can see that the roar it does before resets its black horns to white, then super quickly (even for it) progresses all of them to black before flapping up into the air and swooping down at hunters in an attack that destroys everything in its path — including all of its black spines. It also does cool wing attacks besides. I can't wait to see what this thing does to other monsters.

According to Gaijinhunter's live translations of the day 3 stage presentation, this elder dragon does not retreat, which would set it apart from every other monster on a map with more than one area in MH history. In the gameplay it only chases.

I think Japan got one of the worst MH covers in years. The weird lighting in it makes Nerg's black skin appear gray and shows its eyes, which you can barely even see in normal gameplay. It looks washed out and weirdly metallic — I thought the thing's wings were blue for a while after I first saw it instead of the alarming black, orange, and purple color of the real beast. The Rathalos art is just so much better composed and lit.

I'm curious to see the rest of Nergigante's secrets, like what the encounter with it atop of Zorah Magdoros is like. After all, the last two flagships have both been red herrings for elder dragons.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

crimsontadpoles

Throw dung bomb, second monster flees, continue hunting first monster. Problem solved. (though I don't know if World has dung bombs).

As for monsters attacking other monsters, we don't know how often this happens. It might only be for a few quests. Anyway, I'm not worried about this, it'll really cool to actually see the monsters interacting with each other for once, makes the game much more imersive.

My Anime List
I want you to make contracts with me and become magical girls!

Switch Friend Code: SW-5487-8712-2210 | 3DS Friend Code: 2165-5759-7889 | Nintendo Network ID: crimsontadpoles

meleebrawler

The whole monster attack thing doesn't seem that different to using traps. And has no one stopped to consider that we're no longer restricted to just two large monsters on a map ever?

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

Haru17

@meleebrawler That's one of those things you don't consider because we've paged through quests with two, three, and five monster icons on them. But in actuality those quests are one-on-one or two-on-one fights where the monsters have zero programming for how to deal with each other to they track all of their attacks to the hunters. And of course should you kill a monster before the next one is on the field you have to wait around and guess at where it might spawn, whether it has spawned there yet, flown to another area, etc.

Here's a bit of a visual comparison for World and 4U:

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

It looks just like the 4U cinematic right down to the pitfall traps and fluid day/night cycle.

CrazedCavalier

@meleebrawler Traps don't wipe out half the monster's health.

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: thedanman88

JaxonH

throw a dung bomb

First, you better hope you brought some. Second, it stops working after one or two times. Third, you still had to wait for the monster to leave which could take a minute or two, and that's plenty time to get creamed by a dual monster showdown. Lastly, I enjoyed hunting them at the same time. It was an awesome challenge. Sometimes I threw dungbombs, sometimes I didn't.

@CrazedCavalier
Or come free of charge in addition to your traps, in addition to the bugs flying around that give you free paralysis, free flash bombs, free stuns, etc. It all adds up. Especially when we get two dragonator attacks by monsters in a single hunt.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Haru17

If you remember the ComicCon presentation the team explained how, in the Ancient Forest, Rathalos and Anjanath won't encounter each other normally. And Diablos looks like it hangs out underground unless you trigger those Qurupeco wyverns. For these larger monsters, they're not going to be on the receiving end of damage in any unintentional scenario I can think of.

So it's not exactly as simple as 'free dragonators', barrel bombs, or however you're presenting it. In fact hunters had little to no control over where a fight took place in past games, double monster fights just happened randomly in certain quests, now we can taunt and get a monster to chase us anywhere in the map. Whether that's a rock trap, Rathalos nest, or open beach front is up to you.

Edited on by Haru17

CrazedCavalier

@JaxonH I think everyone should probably consign themselves to something I've been saying almost as soon as the game was announced: this will be the easiest MH game to date.

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

meleebrawler

@CrazedCavalier Sure they do, with a full well-equipped party on non-endgame or super monsters. Certainly much more than a fixed-damage obstacle could, especially when you don't get to freely beat on your target as it's happening.

Also, isn't every Monster Hunter being easier than the ones before it pretty much a given? Not counting G-Rank additions in expansions, every new game gives more tools to the players while toning down instances of "fake" difficulty like hitboxes and one-hit kills or making things convenient like with farming/trading. Generations gave a minor overhaul to forging that made it so less rare items were needed overall, and World seems to be continuing that trend.

Edited on by meleebrawler

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

CrazedCavalier

@meleebrawler Traps/mounts aren't that excessive. There's no way you're knocking off half its health just like that.
Though it is also worth noting that they deliberately lowered the difficulty in the demo.

Haru17

As their last TGS showing the MH devs showed off the Coral Highlands and a bit of combat with the creatures there. Obviously do not watch this if you do not want to be spoiled on the gameplay, however shortly. There is also a training area for weapon testing which they showed earlier on.

Edited on by Haru17

Haru17

Untitled

You can literally see the berry bits spewing from Pukei-Pukei's gob amidst the poisonous venom it mixes them with. This and the similar effect for a puffed up Great Jagras' meat bits are, in fact, just too cool. This kind of attention to detail is present in far too few games.

Untitled

And of course Insect Glaive looks better and better with dual analogue sticks and a larger environment. I like how they balanced the slinger's grappling hook by making mounts not interrupt the fight as much. It only makes sense that these huge beasts which take full teams of hunters to bring down wouldn't be turned into rodeo machines by a single hunter and would still be able to pursue the rest of their prey effectively.

I can't help but wonder how mounting Nergigante wouldn't just pincushion anyone though, I wonder how they'll animate that.

JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Haru17

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Famitsu scans came in today with new renders and classifications. Further screenshots and info concerning the Coral Highlands and its monsters is going up on the Japanese Twitter account.

There's also a new render of Barroth and shot of the Coral Highlands.

Sources are Famitsu, the official Twitter account, and Kogath's translations.

One of the other tweets.

Edited on by Haru17

zionich

I think I like these quality of life changes. The auto craft and radial are great for a no zoning world.

3DS FC : 4914-6709-6917
Xbox Live : Zionich
PS4: Zionich
Switch FC: SW-1208-7413-3716

Haru17

It'll definitely make combat and on-quest crafting more reliable, hopefully garbage and combo books are gone from my inventory for good.

I hope they make the plant for antidote herb more distinctive in World, I could never remember where they were in the other games. And of course dispense with stupid stuff like gathering from literally empty snowy ground in the Arctic Ridge/Snowy Mountains.

JaxonH

Oh, so no more leaning back in your chair, closing your eyes and tapping A 97 times to craft bomb casings? Can't say I'm sad to see that changed.

Don't want to see combo books go. Improving crafting success rates is crucial. Obviously I leave them in the box.

Haru17

It seems like a measure put into an MMO to appreciate items' worth by virtue of scarcity, but Monster Hunter doesn't really have an economy like that so what's even the point.

Edited on by Haru17

CrazedCavalier

@JaxonH You could always just hold A to rapid-fire combines.
And combines are always 100% now. Considering how easily averted (bringing combo books) it was yet also potentially frustrating (failing a trap/bomb combine), along with just being RNG, I'm fine with this.

JaxonH

@CrazedCavalier

What? No way... Holding the button works?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic