Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter: World

Posts 661 to 680 of 1,570

Haru17

Untitled

I bet this is representative of the flagship. Looks like a weird spacey dragonfly. Also, MH World is the cover of the Famitsu issue that comes out next week on the 7th. The cover features Jyuratodus fighting Barroth with a square of printer paper taped over the bottom left corner suspiciously tightly...

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Hyrulela

Tried the MH XX demo on Switch and was instantly bored. I'm glad we get a more fluid combat system in Worlds.

Hyrulela

Twitter:

JaxonH

@Hyrulela
If you were bored with MHXX combat I wouldn't get your hopes up too much for this. It's essentially the exact same combat system. There's a few different moves, but it's still the same combat. All the core move sets from MHXX (and not just MHXX, but MH4U and MH3U) will be present in this game (that's the most redeeming quality about World, is that the combat is still in tact). There will be a few flashy moves tacked on for certain situations, but that aside you're essentially playing the same game combat wise. If you weren't, I would have no interest in World whatsoever.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

MFD

@Haru17 What do you think said paper is for?

MFD

Haru17

@UmniKnight It could be the new flagship, though they would probably wait until TGS to reveal it. Maybe it's a new Wildspire Waste monster?

And World doesn't need to be 'redeemed.' Double Cross can be a lot to jump into and, though World works on the same core combat system, it looks to sport the best new player experience in the series.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

JaxonH

It kind of does redeem the game, actually. Because if the combat was changed also I would've written this game off my list along time ago and the only reason I haven't is specifically because the combat is wholly intact. That is by definition what a redeeming quality is. Virtually all of the major gameplay systems have been cheapened or dumbed down... except for the combat. Well, the combat is still indirectly affected and somewhat directly affected- no activated skills, potion and flash bugs everywhere, unlimited item box usage, spoonfed tells, mount spamming, multi-directional dodging, elimination of multi-Monster combat in favor of monster vs monster, etc. But, at least the actual core combat itself looks to be immaculate. The moves haven't been crippled or dumbed down at all... I'm impressed. I have zero criticisms for the actual core combat itself. It's exactly what I hoped to see, which is good because that's the most important part. It's why the game is still hype despite all the other news being such a drag.

World will no doubt be a much better game for getting new players into the series (at the expense of long time fans, unfortunately), but that's kind of beside the point. This person found the combat "dull and boring". That's not going to change in this game. It's still going to be 20+ minute hunts with overhead swing, overhead swing, stab, upward swing, fade slash. If that does not entertain then it simply does not entertain, no matter how you dress it up.

But I think the truth of the matter is the combat is excellent, always has been excellent, and will continue to be excellent. People just have to learn what they're doing, as we all know. I've seen videos of people who pick up demos of the franchise who have never played before and it's embarrassing to watch. Obviously you're not going to enjoy a complex combat system you haven't invested even 5 minutes to learn. Hence why so many are always turned off to the series. Good news is, World should have top-notch tutorials finally explaining what's what (of course the bad news is they didn't just stop with good tutorials, but whatever).

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Hyrulela

JaxonH wrote:

@Hyrulela
If you were bored with MHXX combat I wouldn't get your hopes up too much for this. It's essentially the exact same combat system. There's a few different moves, but it's still the same combat. All the core move sets from MHXX (and not just MHXX, but MH4U and MH3U) will be present in this game (that's the most redeeming quality about World, is that the combat is still in tact). There will be a few flashy moves tacked on for certain situations, but that aside you're essentially playing the same game combat wise. If you weren't, I would have no interest in World whatsoever.

Aww that is a let down. Guess I'll stick with MH Stories for my MH gaming

Hyrulela

Twitter:

zionich

Interesting change. I kind of like it.

3DS FC : 4914-6709-6917
Xbox Live : Zionich
PS4: Zionich
Switch FC: SW-1208-7413-3716

CrazedCavalier

The issue is that it entirely axes negative skills. And honestly, a certain amount of rigid precision is what makes Monster Hunter what it is. Making things too fluid and free-flowing edges into DMC/Action RPG territory.

@JaxonH If a hunt takes you 20+ minutes and you aren't fighting a Guild hall monster/Elder Dragon, something has gone wrong. Hunts average 10 minutes in my experience, with 15 being the upper limit and anything beyond very rare.

And mounting doesn't seem any more common than it was-- stuff like the SA's new move isn't technically a mount, and the whole "grapple back onto a monster" is only if they fall into a trap.
Also, "spoonfed tells"? The Handler being so vocal is likely just for the demo (on top of that, the overall difficulty was lowered explicitly for it).

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: thedanman88

JaxonH

@CrazedCavalier
Ya ya, everyone says that but let me tell you I am probably a better Hunter than most and hunts average 15 to 20 minutes that's why they give you a 50 minute limit

And no, anyone can now mount, it's all I see in the vids. It's no longer special or something exclusive to the insect glaive or a specific style. And yes, spoonfed tells. Monster Health heartbeat, rage mode on a HUD display, sharpness now telling you exactly where it is at all times... there's a whole host of changes in this game that I dislike.

Not that I want to get into all of that again, but I'll gladly list every single issue if people want to get into that.

And that's just to do with the combat we're not even talking about the fact you can make a potion with 2 herbs now... it's incredibly disappointing how much they've simplified this game.

It'll still be fantastic, but that's thanks to the incredible combat. Which is and always has been the crux of the game. They can change everything else and I will still enjoy the heck out of this game as long as the combat is the same. Which it is. But let's not ignore what they've done to this game either.

Edited on by JaxonH

JaxonH

@Tsurii
I always hear people brag about how fast they can hunt a monster. I heard one guy say he could take down the great Macau in the demo in less than 3 minutes... Which, it takes 1 minute just to find the monster so, I'm not buying it. But the Valphalk, I couldn't beat in the 15 minute time allotted. The Barrioth I could 50% of the time. So 15-20 sounds about right. Obviously if you have more than one Hunter it's going to be a lot faster. And depends on what gear you have and which monster you're hunting.

Not that any of this matters anyways. Who cares how long it takes to hunt a monster- that's a dumb thing to argue over

Edited on by JaxonH

zionich

@CrazedCavalier In all fairness people like to gather also =P

JaxonH

@Tsurii
Why the hostile response? Having poured 1500 hrs. into the last 3 entries I know full well how long it takes to hunt a monster and how long it takes with friends.

But when I'm playing solo, hunts average 15 to 20 minutes. A statement that should've just been allowed to stand rather than evolve to a pissing contest over how fast other people can hunt a monster.

I have had hunts that lasted the entire 50 minutes. I have also had ones that were done before we hit 10 minutes. But on average I would say 15 to 20 minutes is what it all boils down to on a solo run.

JaxonH

@Tsurii
I gotchya.

I remember Abyssal Lagiacrus... man, elemental damage used to mean a lot more back then it seems. I NEVER had to buy elemental gems for specific monster fights in MH4U or MHGen/MHXX. It's one of the things I miss, actually. I remember, in MH3U, equipping a Dragon LongSword to fight Rathian/Rathalos, or dual element Thunder/Dragon Dual Blades... I remember equipping water LongSword for Brachydios... now I don't ever seem to worry about elements. I just use Seregios for Raw and sharpness, or Blast if I can make a good weapon (which thus far in MHXX I have no good blast weapons).

Maybe it's all in my head, Idk

Edited on by JaxonH

zionich

@Tsurii Your just mad Monster Hunter Worlds isn't out right now. I understand the feeling =)

Joeynator3000

@Tsurii Alright dude, calm yer butt...(profanities)

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

CrazedCavalier

@JaxonH I've been emulating Portable 3rd. I killed Rathalos in 7 minutes with rank-appropriate gear in that game (granted, it was the Zinogre SA with a whopping 175 attack and a power phial, but I wasn't trying to be super fast about things). Nargacuga went down in 9. Zinogre himself was 14 minutes, which was a huge spike compared to everything before taking less than 10 minutes (heck, Great Wroggi died in the zone it spawned in). The longest hunt was Urugaan, at 18 (due to his "farts" having a deceptively large hitbox and my raging about that causing me to lose focus).

I've related here and elsewhere where I played through 4U's Low Rank offline using an unfamiliar weapon type (dual blades) and sub-10'd just about everything. If you stay on top of your gear and don't play poorly, you're rarely ever going to see the clock tick past the 15 minute mark.
I'm nowhere near Apex Gaming/CanTaParMe level of play; I just treat things like an RPG and always make sure I'm prepared with the best equipment available.

Stuff like a clear sharpness indicator is what I would call a good addition; a rage mode indicator is superfluous as it's already incredibly obvious when a monster is in rage mode. The only thing I don't like is the heartbeat sensor, which is dumb because, again, the game already tells you when a monster is low on health. But it isn't a dealbreaker.

Every weapon could always mount; they just continued adding verticality to the environment and let all weapons exploit it. And from what I've seen, nothing is getting anywhere close as many mounts as Aerial SpamNotAnAxe did in Gen.

While you worry about all the little stuff, I'm just concerned about equipment potentially taking far fewer materials to make-- which would be a huge disruption to the core gameplay.

@DarthNocturnal The skills display doesn't show them in any way, with the details only showing positive effects; I think it's safe to say they're gone.

@zionich And so do I. But realistically, you never gathered normal stuff outside of the early game-- you had the Farm for that. You'd go mining and on the occasional bughunt, but once you started expanding the Farm you rarely ever went gathering.

Edited on by CrazedCavalier

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: thedanman88

JaxonH

@CrazedCavalier
Congratulations, you took monsters down in less than 10 minutes. For me and most everyone I've ever hunted with, that is not the case, but please by all means continue to prove yourself right in this matter because it's evidently very important to you.

In past games, mounting was primarily limited to a particular playstyle, be it the glaive or aerial style. Sure anyone could Mount but it was extremely difficult to do. In this game, everyone is jumping off treestumps and swinging around on a slinger- I see the greatsword user performing more mounts than a glaive user normally would.

And yes, the little stuff adds up. I'm also not happy about crafting being gimped (2 herbs for a potion? Really? Cause they think western noobs are too dumb to use a blue mushroom?) but it all matters. Some is little stuff. Some not so little. And some in between. But taken together as a whole they've put a considerable dent in complexity of the game (much of which contributes to it's overall fun)

Edited on by JaxonH

zionich

@CrazedCavalier I still always found myself gathering. Maybe it was because I played Sword and Shield sense Freedom Unite or maybe I just suck. Either way I always used a lot of resources. I also like to have every weapon of the set I am using instead of just going for one.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic