Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter: World

Posts 681 to 700 of 1,570

CrazedCavalier

@JaxonH On the likes of the subreddit and stuff, 10-15 minute hunts are considered the norm outside of Elder Dragons and stuff. I'm not sure how you'd regularly take 15+ minutes on hunts. Did I over stress it? Yes; but really, the quest timer has basically never been a factor.
No need to be so passive-aggressive about it.

I've seen barely anybody use the Slinger in demos-- and again, they have explicitly confirmed the demo was made easier. A lowered mounting threshold could easily have been part of that (or they just reverted it to 4U's stupidly low one).

I don't deny any of that. But that's not the stuff I'm concerned about; map sizes, equipment crafting, and overall game feel/difficulty are much higher priorities for me.

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: thedanman88

JaxonH

@CrazedCavalier
Oh my gosh dude. Drop it already nobody gives a crap.

You didn't need to respond the first time much less the third and fourth

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

MFD

@JaxonH Lowering the barrier to entry, in the wrong way (dumbing down) will cause a frown to appear on the face of some, if not many veteran players. I wonder if it'll be shorter than the MH we know when it comes to completion, and killing the monsters with all these new additions. One of the best things about MH, imho, is how you're grinding, but it doesn't feel like grinding, because if you've got the time to feel bored during a hunt, you're either running to the monster, or your face is stuck in the wall/ground.

The game will probably be quite a bit shorter if it's "streamlined" for the "Western" players, the way I've got a feeling it might've. (Putting Western that way, because I've got a feeling Capcom has some sort of skewed perception of us when it comes to games) Here's to hoping they know better.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

Joeynator3000

Really hope it doesn't up like Tri, game was awesome...but very little content. And people are saying that they heard via interviews that this game will have an even bigger roster than Generations/XX or something like that.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

zionich

@Joeynator3000 The coolest addition to Tri I miss is how you could upgrade low rank to a mid level armor.

Edited on by zionich

3DS FC : 4914-6709-6917
Xbox Live : Zionich
PS4: Zionich
Switch FC: SW-1208-7413-3716

CrazedCavalier

@Joeynator3000 Interviews have been incredibly vague. Some have said "a lot of returning monsters" will appear; others have said there will be a mix.
There will be more than Tri almost certainly, but I don't see it being on par with any 4th gen game.

@JaxonH Sorry I like discussing Monster Hunter.

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

Joeynator3000

zionich wrote:

@Joeynator3000 The coolest addition to Tri I miss is how you could upgrade low rank to a mid level armor.

Only thing I miss from that game is The Phantom Uragaan. lol
(and the Jhen event)

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

zionich

Lol

3DS FC : 4914-6709-6917
Xbox Live : Zionich
PS4: Zionich
Switch FC: SW-1208-7413-3716

JaxonH

@UmniKnight
Length of game or amount of content isn't a concern for me. Even a "smaller" MH game will have plenty content. It's the simplification of the game that sucks. But even so, the combat is still in tact, better than ever. I'm grateful for that. And at the end of the day, it's gonna be a great game. Definitely the shake up Im ready for. It's not perfect, but I'll take it. I'll definitely take it.

@CrazedCavalier
I love discussing MH. What I don't love is an endless back and forth over crap that doesn't even matter. Let's talk MH, not argue over how long a hunt takes.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

CrazedCavalier

@JaxonH I've just seen a lot of people go on about how "Gen is too easy because hunt times" when you've always been able to get hunt times as quick as the ones in Gen. I've argued about and compared hunt times so much that when the topic comes up I have way too much to say on the matter... sometimes, I just can't take a hint. The flaws of text-based communication...

It is interesting seeing how certain weapon types have evolved; the Switch Axe went from having all of four moves in sword mode when it was introduced to about a dozen in World. And then you have stuff like the LS and Lance that have barely changed.

JaxonH

@CrazedCavalier
I love the new moves in World. They're fantastic. It is strange to see no new weapons though. I actually wrote off Prowler mode until I saw Joey's videos, and now I plan to do a 2nd playthrough of MHXX in Prowler once I'm done. Shame they didn't keep that in World. Gen had some great ideas that I'll surely miss. At least the arts are integrated into the core moves. I like it better that way tbh.

Haru17

CrazedCavalier wrote:

The issue is that it entirely axes negative skills. And honestly, a certain amount of rigid precision is what makes Monster Hunter what it is. Making things too fluid and free-flowing edges into DMC/Action RPG territory.

...But it is an action game. All of the gameplay is multiplayer-optional action, there is no deep story. The RPG progression is just a framework to facilitate all of that. The numbers were never what made Monster Hunter good, the physicality of it was.

On the action side of things the game is definitely a little quicker in certain aspects like using items and aiming projectiles. I feel like that will only make the gameplay more frenetic + clumsy and add to the emergent aspect though. It's the difference between removing features and removing restrictions.

But of course every game has exclusive features and not all of them are going to become core to the series. Tri's underwater, 4's towns, X's styles and prowler. And on that note, I don't need Prowlers or a large monster list. Controlling Palicoes always made me wish I were playing a hunter. All of their attacks just felt too long, it never felt good to land hits with the weird golden spark effects, and they felt like I wasn't even in control of my character from moment to moment due to the loose animations (much longer than the animation priority on core weapons). Prowlers just weren't up to the standard of quality the main series promotes.

I would be worried about World if everything about it didn't look so promising for exactly the kind of game Monster Hunter is. If I wasn't fully expecting to get three more areas + monsters to fit them (TGS, PSX, launch trailer). But it just looks like the Monster Hunter that finally made the environments more than flat, empty rooms and it's not trying anything too ambitious like procedural generation or open world. I just don't need the same monsters returning, and I don't need a ton of monsters. My favorite game in the series is still Tri — a 60-hour game with only new monsters and remade mainstays.

I grew really annoyed with 4 over the direct porting from PS2. Rajang, Velocidrome, Khezu, Gravios, Garuga, Ukanlos — they all made the game worse by their inclusion. There were entire swaths of fourth generation that just felt bad to play, instant animations that would randomly deal 3/4 of your health in damage. I don't care if the monster count is low if they avoid that. The only number I want high is that of new monsters. Fourth gen again started with just 8-9 actual new monsters and all of the subspecies and PS2 relics. As long as that number is close to or above Tri, I have no complaints.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

MFD

@JaxonH Do you think they might put the emphasis on the story, thus taking away time from the gameplay?

MFD

JaxonH

@UmniKnight
No. The "story" is just a justification for why you're hunting, nothing more. The story in this game won't be much different than MH4U. Again, even a shorter MH game will mean hundreds of hours. That's the last thing I'd be concerned about

MFD

@JaxonH Fair enough, I heard the concern being echoed that the story might be emphasized, partially due to it being fully voice-acted. A different one then, what do you think God of War will do to World's sales?

MFD

JaxonH

@UmniKnight
Oh goodness, I haven't the slightest clue, nor do I think it matters really. God of War will likely do 4-5 mil (on a single platform). MH will likely do 4-5 mil across the 3 platforms. Just a guess.

Haru17

God of War is a Sony game so it won't come out on time or have any adverse effect on Monster Hunter's sales

MFD

I've seen some people quote God of War as a reason for why MHW will do a lot worse, since they apparently come out on the same day. I wouldn't know, Sony isn't my jam, and I hate their sneaky deals, so I don't usually look into anything of theirs.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

Haru17

@UmniKnight Neither game have release dates yet, they're just both slated for 'early 2018.' And of course Sony games tend to get delayed, Monster Hunters don't. Which is especially relevant since we've see extended public gameplay of World from a week after it was announced. Meanwhile God of War was nothing for a full year and it's still all behind closed doors where journalists aren't allowed to get hands on. All there exists of that game is two trailers, no one outside of Sony has any idea if it's coming out in 2018 or not.

Edited on by Haru17

MFD

@Haru17 Ahh fair enough. As for MHW, we certainly know all about that, and how Sony saw fit to advertise it just before XX's release...

MFD

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic