Forums

Topic: General Final Fantasy Thread

Posts 321 to 340 of 1,675

Eel

To get from level 1 to 2 you need to use a spell like four or six times in all the versions I've played. (GBA, PSP, iOS).

I regularly end up with level 8-12 spells by the end of the game by just using them normally.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Dezzy

DarthNocturnal wrote:

@Dezzy

My #1 FF game. Which version are you playing? GBA and up is ideal. Lots of bonus content.

Playing a custom patched version which is the GBA game but with the SNES music.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Dezzy

Yosheel wrote:

I think FF2 is criminally underated and more people need to look past the weird leveling system and enjoy it for what it is.

Well I do have the PSP remaster on my Vita so I might give it another go at some point. It is pretty widely disliked though. Must be some reason.

Chrismiyster

I’ve played FF2 in both the Origins collection and the Dawn of Souls collection. Correct me if I’m wrong but I think the GBA version tweaked the leveling system slightly to make it more user friendly? I remember not needing to do ridiculous things like attack my own party members anymore which made the game much more enjoyable.

“I wish I were a cat so that I didn’t have to work” - Chrono Cross

Steam: Chrismiyster

Magician

Starting playing FF3 for the first time last week.

It'll be interesting to see how it rates against the rest of the series for me.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Dezzy

@Magician

They didn't discover story telling until FF4. That's all you need to know really.

TuVictus

I remember falling in love with the DS remake. I wish they could re re make those games, or remake other ones for the Switch

TuVictus

Dezzy

The DS was too soon to remake them imo. The 3D on that was so limited that it's barely an improvement over 2D.

Eel

They simply wanted to continue what they started with FFIII.

That same engine/style got quite a few games from what I remember.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Dezzy

@Yosheel

What did I miss? I only remember FF3 and FF4.

Eel

Yes but keep in mind they did not really update the models or textures when porting to other systems.

Systems with bigger screens.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Dezzy

@DarthNocturnal

Oh ok you just mean the general style of turn-based RPG with chibi type characters?
Might as well include Dragon Quest 9 on that list as well then.

Yosheel wrote:

Which looks worse. The DS ports on mobile, or the 2D remakes.

The DS ports look fine to me. That art style ages OK.

My main complaint of them is that they don't really use the 3D in any real sense. They essentially just use 3D to redesign a 2D world.
3D games ultimately need some kind of camera control, or more complex 3D map designs, otherwise I don't really see the point. Stick with 2D.

Edited on by Dezzy

Eel

@Dezzy no they actually continued the style of FFIII with those games, they started with remakes and went on to make original games based on that.

Bloop.

Dezzy

@Yosheel

Of course but FF3 didn't invent that art style did it? It's fairly similar to what they used in FF9 back on the PS1.

Eel

I doubt FF9 on the PS1 was created using the FF3 DS engine as a base.

Anyway even the art style is pretty distinctive, specially in the characters. It's not that similar to another previous final fantasy.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Dezzy

@Yosheel

Yeah but terms like "engine" when you're talking about something that simple is fairly meaningless.

Part of the reason that old JRPG formula was so common was because from a technical point of view, it's the simplest thing in existence. You could whip up the "engine" for the gameplay-side of it in a day or so.

Eel

You seem to be looking too much into this.

They made a game, and they used it as a base and inspiration for more games.

It's simple.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Dezzy

@Yosheel

Well all I was saying is that Bravely Default seems like its inspiration was probably more likely the PS1 FF games because it has the 2D backgrounds in common.

That reminds me, I still haven't played Bravely Second even though it's sitting on my shelf.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic