Forums

Topic: General Final Fantasy Thread

Posts 341 to 360 of 1,675

Magician

There's one thing I've always enjoyed about the FF series, it's how each game isn't afraid to change up the progression system from game to game. The job system in FF3 is interesting. I like it enough to where I think I'll use it for my game in RPG Maker MV next year. If that system allows it?

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Magician

ReaderRagfish wrote:

Magician wrote:

There's one thing I've always enjoyed about the FF series, it's how each game isn't afraid to change up the progression system from game to game.

I always thought they tried too hard in this aspect. I wished they would sometimes focus a bit more on improving than inventing. There were some nice ideas, but a lot of them felt a bit... undercooked.

Definitely some hits and misses. I believe most people are fond of VII's material system and then were turned off by the junction system in VIII. But both systems were easy to break, making the endgame for both VII and VIII a joke. I skipped IX, X, and XII because I lost interest in the series at that time. But I really enjoy XIII-1 despite most gamers feeling that the game was too linear. I enjoyed XIII-1's combat more than the combat in any other entry in the series.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Dezzy

ReaderRagfish wrote:

I always thought they tried too hard in this aspect. I wished they would sometimes focus a bit more on improving than inventing. There were some nice ideas, but a lot of them felt a bit... undercooked.

Yep, they're almost allergic to reusing things from previous games that work.

If you develop a system that works well, it makes no sense to just abandon it at the end of the game. Almost everyone thinks the materia system in FF7 is better than the junction system in FF8.
Likewise almost everyone thinks the card game in FF8 is better than the card game in FF9. They should've just reused the same system in both cases. Reuse the concept but make small changes to make it seem fresh.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Dezzy

@ReaderRagfish

I'm not against trying new things. I'm just against redesigning every single aspect of your game every time around. Zelda has shown that you just don't need to do that.

If something works really well, don't change it. Another great example is Limit Breaks (and all other synonyms for the same thing). They completely nailed that system in FF7. Then both FF8 and FF9 had massively inferior versions of it. No reason to change something like that at all. The FF7 system was brilliant. Whereas you'd have to flip a coin to decide which out of FF8 and FF9 ruined that concept the most. They're both awful.

Edited on by Dezzy

Eel

Let’s imagine what FFXVI would be if every final fantasy carried the best features from the previous games.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Dezzy

Oh comon, you didn't like Triple Triad? It was awesome!

I want them to include Triple Triad, Chocobo HotnCold and Blitzball all in the same game. FF16 should do it. Of course change the details so it fits with the world. But reuse those game mechanics.

Edited on by Dezzy

TuVictus

Would not mind seeing the return of Chocobo breeding. That was a timely but immensely satisfying process in FF7

TuVictus

darkfenrir

I don't remember being forced to win card game in IX to progress the story? Only if you want to complete these cards iirc... or get some sort of op item I guess.

darkfenrir

darkfenrir

@ReaderRagfish Aaaah okay, wow I really don't remember that...

I guess I probably gained enough good cards to win it even though I never played the card game before that.

darkfenrir

Dezzy

ReaderRagfish wrote:

But it still wasn't perfect, like how when you lost, the computer would always take your rarest, one of a kind card with no way to get it back ever. This effectively meant that you had to reset the console whenever you lost.

If they won one of your cards, you could just replay them to get it back.
They didn't automatically play that same card every game though, so you may have been confused into thinking it had just disappeared. It hadn't though. Everything you could win back.

Dezzy

Tell you what would be absolutely epic. KH3 launches with a demo for FF7 remake on the disc.

It'd sell absolutely mental numbers if they did that. They used to do that a lot back in the day. FF12 demo on DQ8. FFXV demo on Type-0.

Wouldn't even have to be very big. Just the intro of the game. Up to the guard scorpion boss.

Lol I bought Type-0 at a reduced price just to play that demo and then never played Type-0 at all.

Edited on by Dezzy

Dezzy

FFXV has sold 8.1 million copies:

https://gearnuke.com/final-fantasy-xv-sales-exceed-8-1-millio...

Ignoring later ports of older games and just counting the initial releases of each game, that does rather impressively make it the 2nd best selling game in the series, after FF7 of course.

Very well done for a game that launched in a terrible state.

Edited on by Dezzy

FullbringIchigo

@Dezzy it's good numbers to be sure but didn't Square say it had to clear 10 million to be a success because of all the issues they had during development after all it went through 3 game engine changes multiple rewrites and directors before it was released

i think that's the main reason for all the DLC ports and the Pocket Editions, i know many people say they are milking it but i think while there may be a bit a of truth in that they are just trying to recoup their costs, yeah they made a bit of a mess with the development and it was a bit bare when it first released but i think as it stands now, even if you only play it with the free updates it's good, fun game to play and a solid FF game, not the best of the series but certainly not the worse

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Dezzy

@FullbringIchigo

Nope they said 10 million was their optimistic goal but it was profitable at something like 5 million. They did announce that quite early on.

FullbringIchigo

@Dezzy oh well then by that the game has done extremely well then

although i was SURE they said 10 million but i guess i'm remembering it wrong, oh well

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Dezzy

@FullbringIchigo

No they did say that but it was just a bad translation so they later clarified what they meant.

Of course we don't know what they were ultimately including as part of the budget for that. Like was it the entire budget of all of the stuff over 10 years or was it just the budget from like 4 years back when they really started the current incarnation of it.

It's possible they just drew a line between the 2 things because they didn't think it was fair to judge Tabata on everything that happened before he arrived.

Dezzy

Someone just pointed out to me (I hadn't noticed) that the planned date for the Comrades update and separate release has passed and we didn't hear anything.

Here was their original schedule:

Untitled

Still, I checked their lineup for TGS in 10 days time and FFXV is listed and it says PS4/Xbone under the 'platforms' category. So we should get more info on that and hopefully the next DLC.

For anyone who's still yet to play the game: Comrades is the multiplayer DLC that can be played singleplayer and also fills a gap in the main story. It's good but not great, mostly due to being overly repetitive. So 2 more big updates for it (as suggested on that image) would massively improve it and would add to the overall experience in my opinion.

Ryu_Niiyama

I would have never put in a hope for tactics before this but what the hey, bring on tactics!

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic