WebHead

@DefHalan: anyone could make a list like that

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

DefHalan

WebHead wrote:

@DefHalan: anyone could make a list like that

My Point.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

WebHead

for the AMD financial results call. Gee, wonder what" new semicustom SoC design to launch in the second half of 2016" could she possibly be talking about

Edited on by WebHead

WebHead

DefHalan

@Whitewatermoose: First, this whole downscaling for a handheld system idea would need to be confirmed, I don't think it will happen, it just causes to much work for developers. Second, that would mean the NX is going to compete directly with Xbox One and PS4, two systems that are hitting their mid-gen mark. Third, it still doesn't make sense to limit games to 900p, Xbox One can still do 1080p at 60fps if developers use the power correctly.

It is most likely just a rumor created by someone to get laughs. I don't see how that device would survive in the current market.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

WebHead

Plus if you watch the video it is specifically about consoles. Straight from the mouth of the CEO of AMD. This to me is irrefutable evidence that NX is launching this year.

WebHead

Octane

@DefHalan: The survey is real, and it's from GFK, however that doesn't mean that the information within the survey is accurate.

Octane

rallydefault

@Whitewatermoose: Yea, they need to say something soon. If Nintendo were to just say ONE thing like - "Hey, it's a home console," or "Hey, it's a mobile," or "Hey, it IS both!" I would just go crazy with excitement (I have no investment as to what it's going to be - I'm cool with home, portable, or both). Here's to hoping we hear something in January or February.

rallydefault

Cheesehead302

Whitewatermoose wrote:

Don't you think we have to have a Direct soon though? Mario Paper Jam, FE Fates, Twilight Princess HD and Pokken release all in the next two months. They at least have to give an update on those right?!

I think we're going to have a Direct some where near February 21st, considering TP:HD is launching and that particular date is the 30th anniversary of Zelda. I also heard that the Pokemon anniversary is near that date.

Cheesehead302

NintendoFan64

WebHead wrote:

for the AMD financial results call. Gee, wonder what" new semicustom SoC design to launch in the second half of 2016" could she possibly be talking about

Y'know, that COULD be something VR related...plus there's that rumored Xbox Polaris thing. I'm not saying that it's impossible for her to be referring to the NX, but what I am saying is that it's possible that it could be something else.

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

skywake

Of all the stuff that has come out in the last days this is the one I'd trust the most:
http://i.imgur.com/r9vRQTg.png

The working on multiple platforms bit is a bit strange but it's not that far off what might be happening. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo extended the Wii U's off-TV play to other devices instead of a thing bundled with the console. Sony and Microsoft are doing remote-play to PCs and I'd assume that doing the same to tablets is not far off. Throwing the PS4 into the mix made everyone go crazy but the basic idea could be fairly sensible. At the end of the day you'd still need to own Nintendo's home console for it to work.

Of course the other interesting bit of that report almost sounds like they've copy/pasted something I've typed. They're still clinging to the idea that the NX is somehow still a home console but other than that? Well they said they thought the NX would be a portable that'll launch in late 2016. They said this because of when the dev kits went out, the state of the market and the rumour about how many units they expected to move. Nintendo's next home console? That's somehow also "the NX" but will come out a year later. Why they didn't go all in and not call the home console "NX" I don't know.

Maybe I'm just liking this because it's what I've been saying for a while. But of all the analysts, the one that markets actually listen to? They've got to have some credibility surely. So at this point I'm going to assume that I'm onto something with my wild stabs in the dark. Better readers of the market than I have come to the same conclusion.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

Therad

WebHead wrote:

Actually, it can as well be more chips to things such as smartphones, gaming laptops, gaming PCs etc. They are really just talking about their SoC (system on chip = roughly entire computer in one chip) business which can encompass many things.

Also, if AMD starts selling them in the second half of 2016, then it is unlikely the product comes out in 2016.

Therad

skywake

@Therad:
I don't, they all require lots of salt. None of them know any more than us. It's just that this report:
1. Got a response from the market, people put money on this being reasonably accurate
2. Isn't a particularly outrageous set of assumptions and is backed up with evidence
3. I won't lie, the main reason I'm down with this report? It neatly lines up with my own theories

An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

Octane

@skywake: I think I'm completely missing the point, but why would the NX work with a PS4? What's the benefit in streaming to a PS4 when you need an NX anyway?

Octane

GammaNoises

What is the NX? Too little information available to accurately determine. Wait for an offical announcement.

GammaNoises

erv

@skywake: That report makes a lot of sense. And we can highlight your portable part because that's what you've been talking about as most likely option, which makes sense too. Quick to note that the NX as they describe it means a family of hardware, agnostic of form factor, each having overlap and similarities. I like how they mention the apps beyond miitomo too. So far, the best guess yet in my book.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

iKhan

skywake wrote:

Of all the stuff that has come out in the last days this is the one I'd trust the most:
http://i.imgur.com/r9vRQTg.png

The working on multiple platforms bit is a bit strange but it's not that far off what might be happening. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo extended the Wii U's off-TV play to other devices instead of a thing bundled with the console. Sony and Microsoft are doing remote-play to PCs and I'd assume that doing the same to tablets is not far off. Throwing the PS4 into the mix made everyone go crazy but the basic idea could be fairly sensible. At the end of the day you'd still need to own Nintendo's home console for it to work.

Of course the other interesting bit of that report almost sounds like they've copy/pasted something I've typed. They're still clinging to the idea that the NX is somehow still a home console but other than that? Well they said they thought the NX would be a portable that'll launch in late 2016. They said this because of when the dev kits went out, the state of the market and the rumour about how many units they expected to move. Nintendo's next home console? That's somehow also "the NX" but will come out a year later. Why they didn't go all in and not call the home console "NX" I don't know.

Maybe I'm just liking this because it's what I've been saying for a while. But of all the analysts, the one that markets actually listen to? They've got to have some credibility surely. So at this point I'm going to assume that I'm onto something with my wild stabs in the dark. Better readers of the market than I have come to the same conclusion.

As much as I agree with this as a prediction, isn't it just that? Does Macquarie securities have any inside information, or are they just guessing?

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

skywake

@iKhan:
Well they are guessing just as much as we are because if they weren't I think it'd be insider trading. Right? Worse still, to investors what the NX is probably doesn't matter as much as what Nintendo intends to do over the next few years. Whether it was a portable or a home console first probably doesn't matter to the average investor. Investors are mostly just interested in whether or not Nintendo can start selling their products at a higher rate again. The specifics of what they're saying probably don't matter much.

That said, Macquarie are quite a bit more reputable than the average gaming analyst mouthpiece. They're a multi-billion dollar financial group, you'd hope they were right more often than not. And what they're saying does make sense.

Edited on by skywake

iKhan

skywake wrote:

@iKhan:
Worse still, to investors what the NX is probably doesn't matter as much as what Nintendo intends to do over the next few years. Whether it was a portable or a home console first probably doesn't matter to the average investor. Investors are mostly just interested in whether or not Nintendo can start selling their products at a higher rate again. The specifics of what they're saying probably don't matter much.

That's true, and it's a crying shame too. There is plenty of very insightful analysis that can be done on the game industry to make solid predictions about a system's success or failure. But most investors just make overly simplified binary analyses (cough*Webbush*cough).

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic