Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 48,681 to 48,700 of 70,031

Heavyarms55

@Anti-Matter Like others have said, those games didn't make much money it seems. My guess would be that that is the main reason. I do think there should be more games to appeal to more people, but if people aren't buying them, they wont get made.

What we've been talking about are games known to sell respectably well. True, it's games that we like personally too in many cases.

I would say I agree with you on some games, I am surprised there isn't a Sims or DDR game on Switch yet as console ports of those series did sell modestly well. At least they used to.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Anti-Matter

@BruceCM
From what i have ever saw on KH3, i saw Sora and other characters were suffering in Disney World and Sora was asking why did Organization XIII keep doing that misery. The Organization XIII were keep mumbling nonsense about being lonely, being heartless, being pain. They want other peoples must feel what they felt. They keep talking like only they know everything, Sora knew nothing. What an arrogant and lunatic answer. From the attitudes i saw more about Organization XIII, i was turned off and never think KH story was relevant anymore. It felt the storyline was being uber cringe, like even worse than telenovela.

Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

@Heavyarms55
I still found there are some developers especially Nippon Columbia still willing to provide girlie games for Nintendo Switch. Their games debut started from GBA era, expanded more during NDS and 3DS era and Switch still get girlie games like Model Debut Nicola, Pretty Princess Magical Coordinate, Sumikko Gurashi games, etc. I'm happy to see girlie games are still relevant until today despite not many peoples care about.

About Sims games, i crossed my finger from EA presentation on 19 June 2020.
At least EA can give us My Sims on Switch with new gameplay like Animal Crossing.

Anti-Matter

NotTelevision

@Heavyarms55 That is probably part of the issue right there. But it would’ve been fine if they just made a good single player space shooter based on the Rogue One plot or something. It’s always preferred that they take from the original trilogy and that’s part of the appeal of the GameCube ones, but since they already recreated those sequences it would be okay to move to other films or just make something from scratch.

Star Wars is just a world that you can graft any kind of gameplay onto. Even something out of left field like “Star Wars: Bachelors of the Academy Dating Simulator ” could be a fun game that people would buy because it says Star Wars. Just currently 4 out of 5 of them are “live service” games like @Grumblevolcano has stated.

Jedi Fallen Order continues to sell copies, so it’s not like nobody wants to play single player Star Wars games.

Ohh well, no need to drag this on. You get the point, and I’m sure countless others had already made it.

NotTelevision

jump

@Anti-Matter I think you should look up what autism is as what you’re describing isn’t the same thing.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

BruceCM

Uh huh, so, nothing like autistic people, generally, @Anti-Matter .... I'll be sure to try the games soon, anyway

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Heavyarms55

@NotTelevision Yeah, I get that. And yeah, people want to play single player SW games. But Fallen Order was the execption, not the norm. EA doesn't like single player games. The vast majority of games they make are all about multiplayer with single play as an afterthought. I feel like Fallen Order was done almost purely because of the backlash the new battlefront games got.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Wargoose

@BruceCM Organisation XIII are portrayed as people who've lost their 'heart', so don't feel emotions. But much like in the tv series Dexter, they're written in a way, that's not entirely consistent with that initial premise.

I would say the first game has a coherent storyline, but from chain of memories onwards it's so unnecessarily complex. I really don't understand why it has to be, because none of it has any dramatic pay off. The main character of the games, has no idea what's going on.

You collect these ansem reports which try their best to explain things, but it's a futile effort. As the main character appears to be illiterate, as he never seems to reference anything that's in the reports.

Sora throughout the entire game: "I don't know who you are, or what's going on but LOVE, FRIENDSHIP, HEART, RIKU, KEYBLADE!"

The longer you play the series, the more frustrating it is. As they just keep adding layers of complexity, and the main characters don't make any effort to figure anything out. They also retcon things in these reports, from previous games. So even if you made the effort to read and understand the reports, the next game is likely to say "actually that's no longer the case"

Wargoose

BruceCM

Right, @Wargoose .... & is that supposed to be anything like the vast majority of Autistics, then? I'm not too concerned about the story being nonsensical, TBH

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

rallydefault

Man, what's with all the KH hate? We're not willing to admit that Bayonetta is a bit overhyped in enthusiast circles yet we're willing to pile on KH? We're on a forum for a company whose most famous game is about a plumber that grows bigger when he eats mushrooms and he fights a giant turtle, yet we're gonna say KH's story makes no sense and that somehow hurts the games.

rallydefault

Wargoose

@BruceCM didn't say it was. I was just commenting on what the members Organisation XIII are like. Crap Antagonists either way lol

Wargoose

Wargoose

@rallydefault I quite enjoyed Bayonetta 2's prequel/sequel shenanigans. I also enjoyed Kingdom Hearts 1. I can't defend what came after though.

But if you want a nintendo game with questionable story telling, Xenoblade 2 comes to mind. It's like they go out of their way to hide almost all of the character motivations in that game until 60+ hours in.

Edited on by Wargoose

Wargoose

JaxonH

@rallydefault
I dont see what Bayonetta has to do with KH.

Nor do I think anyone here has said they hated the games. I rather like them myself. I just dont think they're that good. Story factors into that to an extent, since it is an RPG and RPGs are built around story unlike an arcady action game. But moreso it's just the gameplay itself, which is fine... but, that's all it is. Fine. Perhaps if the story was more intriguing the so-so gameplay would get more of a pass, but neither is exemplary. They're good games. I've played several and they were always enjoyable. No "hate" there. I dont want to give the impression I don't like them. I just don't see them as more than B-rate RPG, kinda like the Tales of series. Good fun, not gonna be GotY though. I think the cast really carries the games. That's the one thing those games nail.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

NEStalgia

@JaxonH Remember yesterday when I responded that when logic says "Switch 2" Nintendo says "new concept system featuring a jump rope based input controller?

And then, a few hours later, I turn on Switch and see an ad for the unannounced launch of 1st party Jump Rope Challenge.

Coincidence? I think not. Yuu Jump is Nintendo's next console, confirmed!

@kkslider5552000 To me Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale, and NwN are the selling point. The best of PC gaming history right in your pocket.....with some Jedi Knight and DOS Doom thrown in just 'cause. Add Diablo II and Starcraft (I know, we have Diablo III.....I want Diablo II....) and you don't even need PCs anymore.

@Heavyarms55 Sequels without first entries suck (See also: Mass Effect 3 on WiiU), but you can't honestly say that's worse than handing you a rhythm game skinned in the game you asked for and calling it a win. It's like giving Playstation owners The Legend of Zelda: Tingle's Mystery Date (ESRB: M)

I think most companies port the games that will cost the least to port, or that they don't mind temporarily handing someone else control of a code base for. Things that won't upset the day to day, except where the devs are hardcore fans of the system, like Bethesda and Obsidian. EA's different. EA actively wants Nintendo to fail and wants to contribute to that happening because Nintendo doesn't fit the paradigm they've maneuvered the industry toward of basically a single hardware infrastructure with recurring payment monetization structures. Nintendo's existence represents an obstacle they have to work around and it makes it harder to settle into the most economically efficient money machine they can so long as a market disruptor not playing the collusion game with them exists.

As for Disney's expected customers and long metaverse structures with multiple timelines, Disney is all about a managed IP structure like Nintendo with a tween demographic and maximizing merchSQUIRREL!!

@Grumblevolcano Multiplayer gaming was mostly seasonal even during the Splatoon 1 days. Nintedon't. That can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it. There's merit to seasonality in terms of leaderboards and roasters where someone who doesn't play for 3 years has to start again rather than sitting at the top of the heap but can't aim.

@Anti-Matter Simple: Wii and DS picked up a broad non-gamer demographic and those games reached a very big segment of that new non-gamer demographic. Then the smartphone was invented and those customers moved to the smartphone they already had that offers those kinds of experiences in even cheaper, shorter bursts, spending less money in the process. The games you're talking about in the Wii era existed very briefly to cater to a very temporary audience that existed as part of a short-term fad in the pre-phone era. It's never going to happen again outside phones because those people are never going to spend money on dedicated hardware again. They didn't really want to the first time, but they were swept up by a fad. It wasn't because of Iwata's decisions. It was because of a temporary spending habit that existed due to the state of technology during those years.

Also, OrgXIII is a mess of story telling, but it's not about people that want to spread misery just because. Supposedly there's whole meanings behind it all if you follow the whole are of the "true" big bad (name not mentione for spoilers) but it's just......really really bad story telling from really bad premises, and OrgXIII is more a bunch of goth emos....that are connected by more than affiliation.

@BruceCM "Not making sense" is one thing. KH is a whole other level. It's like Kojima for kids. It tries to be poignant and pretentious but ends up being an inconsistent self-conflicting nonsensical mess. It at time seems like it's really deep....and then that just goes nowhere. But what's worse is that everything is retconned. If they just invented characters with their own arcs and let them die it would b e one thing, but everyone is just someone else in another timeline more or less....so they're always immortal even when it makes no sense they would still be alive, they just invent another MacGuffin to make it not so the next game and to try to make some bigger arc based explanation for how the same people you've killed 10 times are still alive and don't know who you are. KH is so edgy the characters all had amnesia BEFORE it was cool!

@Wargoose has it right. The first game wasn't a great story, but it was coherent and seemed to want to go somewhere. It was simple-ish, with some time travel complexity, but worked. Then starting with the second and the spinoffs and prequels and alternate stories that may or may not actually be different forms of the same characters and preseuilogs they tried to make some metaverse that was entirely unplanned, uncoordinated, Kojimafied, retconned, and overwrought so that you need all the entries to make a single story, yet that story contradicts itself non-stop. They tried reinventing what you knew of the first one. The big bad is apparently not a big bad after all but it is somsone else entirely pretending to be that person, but then that turns out to be that person anyway, except it's not the real them, but then the real them is actually doing that too, but for good reasons, except not.... It's a mess. They invent entire new characters that have no real narrative purpose at all except to temporarily stand in for another character. So you try to figure out what the deal is with a 5 hour build-up around one character, only for them to be disposed of on a whim and you barely ever hear from them again. Freaking SQUALL gets more dialogue than a lot of main characters.

@Wargoose You forgot "KAIRI!" It's LOVE, FRIENDSHIP, HEART, RIKU, KEYBLADE, KAIRI!"

That's the best summary ever though, well done. I'd summarize the whole story as:

Villain 1: I'm the beginning, the end, I want unlimited power!

Villain 2: I'm t he beginning, the end, you know nothing, I want unlimited power! Also I'm villain 1.

Villain 3: I'm the beginning, the end, I don't want unlimited power, I just want it for villain 1. Also, I'm Villain 2.

Villain 4: I'm villain 1, 2, AND villain 3, and you definitely can't stop me!

Villain 5: I'm Villain 3. Villain 1 is weak anyway. Experience true power!

Villain 6: Once the needle pricks her finger it'll all be over. I was awesome in Tomb Raider.

Villain 7: I'm Villains 2 + 4 (-1 * 3) and am really the big bad after all!

Villains 8-35: We're the overarching minds behind everything so far. Also we're villains 1-6 and their clones from 3 games ago operating as a group!

Mickey & Yen Sid: We're wise and know everything going on up to this point. But we're conspicuously missing and refuse to telly you anything at all except for cryptic riddles precariously sitting on Gipetto's workbench in a whale.

Goofy: Uh Hyuk!

Sora the Hero: Dafuq? Where my friends be at, yo?

NEStalgia

JaxonH

@Wargoose
That's true about Xenoblade 2, and one of the key differentiators with the first game. Xenoblade 2 story got very, very interesting, but it wasnt until the late game that happened. Still, it was at least intriguing and entertaining up to that point. It just wasnt "wow, this is incredible!" But, Xenoblade was really fun to play and explore. Usually when a game has fun gameplay, it can slide on any story mishaps.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

NEStalgia

@Wargoose XC2, though, the characters themselves hide all their intentions, and some, for very story based reasons don't even understand their own intentions. It gets revealed when they all spring their plots they've lined up since long before the game began. It has an actual narrative direction and the characters do have actual human motivations.

KH OTOH has no non-MacGuffin based motivations, the characters don't know their own intentions, and the game never actually explains any of it. Short of "power of friendship" which is a theme Rex has in common. I do tend to walk away from XC2 favoring the villains over the heroes. The bad guys all have real goals of trying to fix the world in their own way. The good guys are just screaming "because friendship!" the whole time. Well, ok, Pyra has deeper motivations and a prolonged guilt trip going on, and is intentionally misleading, but there's resolved narrative behind that. She doesn't pop up in XC3 in a black cloak about how she really orchestrated the Mechonis because she really wanted Dunban's heart, all along!

NEStalgia

JaxonH

@NEStalgia
Lol I actually thought you said that in response to the jump rope game. Unreal

JaxonH

@DarthNocturnal
Oh my gosh they did it.

Untitled

Edited on by JaxonH

Anti-Matter

@NEStalgia
Ah... I see.
Anyway, i still lucky enough to taste casual games on Wii and NDS despite of being mediocre. It was like a small oasis of very different games that surprisingly matched with my taste. I really wish some of those games make return on Switch as the fact i found, there were some similar games like on Wii / NDS on Switch such as Little Friends Cats & Dogs (Nintendogs by 3rd party), Model Debut Nicola (Nicola Kanshuu on NDS), Waku Waku Sweets (Looks like Cooking Mama but with long conversations), etc.

I have one question.
One thing i still never understand, why don't the developers want to bring Boxing / Kickboxing games on Nintendo Switch?
At least Cartoonish Boxing games like during PS1 / PS2 era.
The only game i considered as proper Boxing game was ARMS.

I don't like mainstream sports at all such as soccer, basketball. Those sports are really boring and have been overmilked by developers. I don't like to see the popular things took over the unpopular things. The unpopular sports actually have their potential and their unique interest. Are peoples really don't like to talk or think about Boxing / Kickboxing, even bring the conversations into education as School Extracurricular ? I never saw in my country Indonesia, parents or teachers are talking about Boxing / Kickboxing as something interesting as alternative sports. Nor even the students.
Is it really possible to break the stereotype and mainstream mindset about favoring the sports?

Anti-Matter

Wargoose

@JaxonH Pokemon Snap looks great. Can't wait to play it. I thought it was doomed to be one of those great games, never to get a sequel.

Wargoose

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic