Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 48,661 to 48,680 of 69,962

NEStalgia

Kh1, 2, 3 for nintendo switch. Only on Disney+xD for Nintendo Switch!

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH While the lineup has been better in the Switch era, I still miss the Wii U era. This site especially was a lot better in the Wii U era. Perhaps the info drought is partially to blame, even though Wii U had lots of game droughts Nintendo still managed to reveal a lot of info meanwhile nowadays Nintendo Life has to rely on rumours to get articles up.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@DarthNocturnal
While I do tend to agree with the notion there’s no deal, I would like to point out their deals are getting more targeted now. They’re not really interested in paying to keep a game off every other system. Oh no. Just the ones where it would do really well and provide fierce competition. Maximize effect by not wasting money keeping games off platforms that wouldn’t compete anyways.

So Nintendo almost always gets targeted, and Xbox gets targeted for the bigger, more AAA games. But not for the more Japanese games because heh, nobody’s buying those games on Xbox in any real numbers anyways. And PC, well... master race isn’t defecting to consoles, never has and never will, so why bother targeting them...

Everything seems to make more sense when viewed through that lens.

@Grumblevolcano
Mmm... might be recency bias at work there. There’s been plenty of news. Just look at the month prior. From Womderful 101 releasing to 3 Bioshock games, 3 Borderlands, XCOM 2, Outer Worlds, Xenoblade, Clubhouse Games, all with reviews out, we just had an announcement today for the Kingdom Hearts game, Paper Mario announcement then more info dumped the other day...

There’s a lot more news now, it just feels lacking because this is e3 time and we’re not getting our typical summer blowout right now.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano yeah, switch has more releases, but nintendo doesn't build hype, they say nothing or post on twitter. Wiiu never released games, but months had hour long presentations for years about them.... There was less to play but being a fan was more engaging.

And nl wasn't lost in rumors

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@JaxonH missing 3 days of treehouse is really going to throw off my vibe all year.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

JaxonH

@DarthNocturnal
Certainly not. I agree. Even if they wanted to they wouldn’t have the money to pay for every game. Majority of the time it’s just the developers who have loyalties or devs that seem to be all cozy with them.

Nonetheless, if you actually take a look at the history of games where we know or highly suspect a deal is involved or was involved at some point, it’s pretty eye opening. But because we know this is how they operate that suspicion will always be there whether they’re involved or not. Kind of like if your crackhead neighbor stole your lawnmower last Christmas, then took your wallet on Easter, and made off with your rims in the summer, The next time somethings missing, you’re probably gonna look their way, whether they did it or not. Whether it’s MH World conspicuously not coming to Switch after the spot on rumor leaked a deal was struck and it was exclusive in Japan, and no Nintendo port even years later despite high-quality studios like iron Galaxy practically begging to bring the game over, even after the massive sales of the franchise on Nintendo, known demand on the platform and exceeding performance of MHGenUlt, or the Little Devil Inside timed exclusivity, a game I funded for Nintendo, MS and Sony platforms, or the multiple console exclusives announced in their recent presentation, suspected Persona deal, which I have no idea whether is true or not, or if it was but isn’t any more, who knows. Or titles like Final Fantasy VII Remake, the fact SE conspicuously didn’t reveal anything of DQ on Switch until after the other versions released (his 3DS was a dying platform anyways, the one you want to take attention away from is the shiny new console), and even questionable games like Kingdom Hearts that’s not yet on the system, or REVII that was exclusive at first to keep off Xbox, Street Fighter being paid off to not release elsewhere (and those “they made it happen” lines are silly, this is Capcom, not an indie, and their biggest IP at that), or anything that Yakuza creator makes, I don’t think that’s due to a deal I think that’s just due to his platform loyalty as a dev. Yakuza, he tried desperately to prevent it going multiplat. Sakura Wars? PS only. And this isn’t even an exhaustive list, this is just stuff off the top of my head- there’s so much more if you actually do the research into it.

And according to the Super Monkey Ball 3 leak from the original announcer of the first two games, Who is giving sly hints in an interview where he confirmed the voice lines he did in the new game they’re working on, he held a piece of paper with a hashtag for #Retro (the suspected name of the new game, Super Monkey Ball Retro), but also #Nagoshi and #Sony. Hmmm... the original creator of Monkey Ball, also just so happens to be the creator of Yakuza, Sakura Wars, The guy who, if it doesn’t have PS on the plastic he doesn’t want anything to do with it. And.... Sony. Because, of course. There isn’t a project he’s ever made where he didn’t bend over backwards to make sure it was PS exclusive. At first the Sony hashtag didn’t make sense, but once I saw his name it made perfect sense.

So ya, it’s not that I blame them for everything, I’m just suspicious of them for everything.

But realistically, they’re not the biggest concern. Their pockets are only so deep. The real concern is culture, and attitude toward Nintendo and portable gaming in general, and the loyalties developed toward other platforms over the years, and that’s not to say that isn’t mostly to blame on Nintendo themselves, because it really is. They screwed up for so many years the industry kind of just moved on without them and there’s really not much rapport or loyalty toward them. But that’s not to say buying off these exclusives has no impact. On the contrary, they particularly target the games people really want on the platforms people really want them, so it becomes a major thorn in the buttocks seeing games everyone should have on the platform they want, games that weren’t actually funded but that were basically bribed to not release elsewhere, held hostage.

I was hoping we’d enter a new era where every game, aside from 1st/2nd party titles and funded exclusives, are multiplat across the board. Let the gamer decide where they want to play. If a platform is truly a great place to play then people will choose it of their own volition, and shouldn’t have to be strongarmed into it. A true free market. People like me want portability and gyro, we buy on Steam and Switch. Others want a cheaper home console experience for the biggest games, they choose PS/Xbox. Heck, even Stadia- if people really want the cloud gaming experience, they’ll buy their games there. No need to bribe Baldur’s Gate 3 devs. Buy up studios and build your own portfolio. And Epic Games? They make Sony look like amateur hour. You haven’t seen bribery until you’ve seen the epic games store. And I get why they do it. Their platform just isn’t good enough to convince people to play games there. So instead of competing with a better product, they compete with strongarm tactics 💪 And personally, they’re doing the most damage because they’re normalizing this bribery. Sony did it before, sure, but in smaller doses. Epic is dropping helicopter cash, as many duffle bags as they can fit on the chopper. And it’s desensitizing people to that kind of behavior. It’s normalizing it. Now we’re starting to see Sony get much more aggressive because, well, Epic’s doing it and nobody really says anything anymore.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Heavyarms55

I agree with those complaining about Square and Atlus right now. Giving us spin off titles with completely different gameplay, rather than the games that fans are practically BEGGING for is just plain baffling.

I could understand holding back KH3, maybe they can't get it to run well on Switch. Maybe even Persona 5. But there's no reason we can't get ports of KH 1+2 and several of the other KH titles. There's no reason they couldn't give us Persona 4.

And the same thing with the Mass Effect Trilogy which is the only EA property I'm still not only willing, but eager to pay money for.

And yet I'll be when the spinoffs, Persona Scramble and Kingdom Hearts whatever DDR Rhythm game don't sell too well on Switch, they'll try to claim there's not enough fan interest.

It's like saying "You didn't buy our spaghetti, so clearly your don't want pizza". Completely different things!

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

kkslider5552000

PC is where you port your games when you have some sort of official or unofficial agreement or understanding to keep your games exclusives to one console. So Persona 4's recent PC port did help make me think there's something to this effect with mainline Persona games.

Like maybe someday things will change, like how Final Fantasy post-VI did recently, but until then, I at least don't blame people who think that Sony paid money to keep certain games away from their competition. Because it makes a lot of sense.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

JaxonH

@kkslider5552000
That’s true. It could go either way.

It could be there is no deal or there was and it expired so now they’re expanding, finally. Or it could mean a new deal was signed or old deal renewed, and with the recent push to PC, it was negotiated to allow a PC release. Hard to say which.

Whatever the case, I’ll gladly take all these PC versions of previously exclusive games as a major win. Obviously in an ideal world I would play every video game in existence on a hybrid system that could run properly on it, and the rest I would play on PC. P4G is a game that could run on Switch, and I would prefer it there. But... PC is still a win. And being the optimist I am, I try to see the good in any given situation, and if there are deals, at least PC versions are squeaking through under the guise of being a “neutral platform” which, it’s not- it’s a competitor platform just like all the rest, but where the user base is resilient against the tactics used to sway them to buy other platforms, to the point these platform manufacturers finally capitulated, even for their own first party software.

So I’ll take the W for the PC releases, at least in the intermediate term. It’s not like Switch is able to run every game to a satisfactory extent anyways. There’s always going to be a host of games too advanced for handhelds, even despite the massive leap we saw with Switch. And while this game isn’t one of them, The point is we have to rely on at least one other platform for those games anyways, so what’s the difference if a few others get tossed in the pile as well.

NEStalgia

@JaxonH Epic is now Tencent. Tencent is the CCP. Market manipulation it's kinda their bag. There's trillions more to dump on the Epic store. Were a long way from Tim Sweeney and Jazz Jackrabbit.

@Heavyarms55 at least p5 scramble is technically a true sequel albeit different gameplay. It's the canonical sequel on ps4 too. Kh rhythm game is a silly spinoff.

NEStalgia

JaxonH

@Heavyarms55 @NEStalgia
Ya, Persona 5 Scramble looks seriously, seriously legit. The main line games can basically be broken down as turn based battles in dungeons, separated by time management activities similar to Fire Emblem Three Houses. In fact, FETH was basically the Persona formula, just as a strategy game. The comparisons were not overstated.

It’s basically just a school sim, afternoons and evenings consisting of activities you choose, and you can only do so many because you only have so much time. Today you do a school club, then read a book. Tomorrow you practice soccer, then go in the tv world for some turn based combat in the dungeon.

Scramble looks to basically be that formula, but with action combat (it’s action combat still feels similar to the regular combat- there’s still the elements and weaknesses and you can still do all out attacks... it feels natural, and it’s really good actually). The only question is to what extent other activities will factor into the game. We know there’s a Calendar system just like the main line games, and there’s no point in having a Calendar system if you’re not actually managing your time for anything. So at the very least we can assume there’s going to be some kind of time management side activity, even if it’s not to the full extent seen in the main series.

And... that’s basically it. That’s the Persona formula. So it really does feel kind of like we’re getting a main line game. Not entirely. I mean, it is different. But it’s so close for being a spin-off too. It’s not like we’re getting a dancing game or a fighting game (dancing games were fire though, for the record, at least, P4 Dancing was, the rest were meh, and it was best played on a handheld where all the prompts were in your peripheral view- they just don’t play the same on the TV). It’s different, but it’s so similar at the same time.

I definitely wouldn’t lump Persona 5 Scramble into the same category as KH. It will be a great game for fans of the series, but also a fine entry point into the franchise for a lot of people (it’s not some grand overarching story that lasts multiple games- P5 plot was wrapped up, so it’s going to have the same characters and obviously it’ll be based on the same concept that every game in the series is based on- going into the shadow world, but beyond that it’s a new adventure).

kkslider5552000

To me, one of the defining parts of the Switch is that it seems to be this weird, incomplete history of gaming machine. Like it has bits of borderline every generation and borderline every major gaming company. Enough that there's an impossible quantity of it, but not so much that its a full on replacement for even the best of these old systems (or for example, my Ps3 that I mostly use for downloading PS1/2 games).

but maybe that stands out more since most nintendo systems missed out on the majority (vast majority?) of notable games for every generation after SNES with the possible exception of GCN, but now you get a piece of everything ever. but the selection throughout history on it is a joy to me, especially as someone who has paid attention to gaming forever

this stood out for me as a contrast to the lack of certain games ported to switch, that the amount of cool stuff ported to it is impossibly cool to me, especially as a long time nintendo fan who always had to watch other people talk about these games (barring when I got a 360 when that was still a current console)

i mean id like persona stuff but now i can play grandia and a new modern version of the original katamari and a million other cool things, current and not. switch just slightly dictates what i get now, and what i get elsewhere or later

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

NotTelevision

It’s a shame the Rogue Squadron games never got remastered or got true next-gen sequels. The Battlefront campaigns were pretty short and low effort, and this Squadrons game also has a multiplayer bent.

One article states the game “offers rich cosmetic and gameplay customization options with rewards and bonuses that are earned solely through gameplay. As players move up the ranks, they’ll earn components such as weapons, hulls, engines and shields to customize the performance of their starfighters; and gain cosmetic items to customize their cockpit, ship exteriors, and appearance of their pilot.”

It’s just Battlefront all over again.

NotTelevision

Heavyarms55

@NEStalgia That's even worse in my opinion. They're giving us a sequel to a game we asked for, for years, that they never gave us!

@JaxonH I'm glad you like what you see with Scramble. And I would be more open to it if we were getting it after getting a real Persona game. But I'm sorry, I look at it and even again read your apparent praise for it, and I see Scramble as very much a spinoff.

I just don't see any legitimate reason given by the companies for not porting these games to Switch. It very much strikes me as them giving Switch, at best, their B-game. Their leftovers.

At the very least Square gave us Octopath, which was great, but they never released DLC for it and haven't given us much since. Nothing beyond a handful of ports of very old FF titles that, while good games, were likely ported by a team of 5 underpaid interns learning the trade.

EA's choice not to port the ME trilogy is almost as baffling as their choice to release only ME3 on Wii U.

@NotTelevision I'd love to see remasters and new entries into the Rogue Squadron series. But those games were heavily steeped in the old canon, what Disney calls "Legends". And Disney seems to be of the mindset that having two SW canons is too difficult a concept for the fanbase and doesn't allow new work to be done with those stories/that timeline. It's amazing that the Jedi Academy games got ports, but they got ports because there's no way they'd remaster them. Same with the KOTOR games. Nope, two timelines is just too complicated for modern fans whose attention spans last a whopping 9 minutes before they need to check their phones!

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Grumblevolcano

@NotTelevision The state of multiplayer gaming is pretty much Games as a Service, seasonal structure nowadays. Nintendo hasn't joined this yet except Mario Kart Tour but then again, Nintendo released their Switch multiplayer games years ago (MK8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2, Smash Ultimate, etc.).

I wouldn't count Pokemon Sword/Shield because while there are seasons you lose nothing by not participating in the competitive seasons. All rewards are things you can obtain through playing the game normally solo.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Anti-Matter

@Heavyarms55
Something baffled me about EA and Ubisoft relationship with Nintendo during Wii and NDS era.
There are a lot of games for kids and girls for Wii and NDS, provided by EA and Ubisoft. Let's say My Sims series, Petz series, Imagine series, EA Playground, Pet Shops, Jenga Blox, Charming Girl Club, etc. Those games exist during Satoru Iwata era. Was Satoru Iwata really insist want games for girls and women so both EA and Ubisoft must supply kind of games i have mentioned about ?
And why the trend of girlie games is over now ?

Anti-Matter

Zuljaras

@Anti-Matter You ask the same thing again and again ... and again. There is no answer to that. Those games are really niche and they do not make the big bucks. The DS and 3DS were perfect for those games as the consoles were more targeted for children but the Switch is more about the adult gaming experience and you can see we get more games for adults than before.

BruceCM

Lols, you certainly don't put me of the KH series, @NEStalgia ..... While I like some games with relatively 'sensible' stories, I long ago accepted games having weird ones Given the basic premise of KH is pretty nonsensical, trying to do a 'sensible' story for the games wouldn't really work, anyway

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Anti-Matter

@BruceCM
In my opinion, Organization XIII = Autistic peoples who want other peoples suffering in being misery. I'm already turned off by their attitudes even on KH3.
No more Soap Opera of Heartless from Tetsuya Nomura.
Organization XIII is already worse than the cringiest telenovela.

Anti-Matter

BruceCM

Well, I haven't yet played Remix 1 or whatever it's called, @Anti-Matter .... So, I've no idea about your Organization XIII! Since I very much doubt they say anything about Autism, I'm wondering why you are. Autistic people generally don't want others suffering, though

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic