Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 13,421 to 13,440 of 13,725

NEStalgia

The mobile hotspots can be a great deal if you're traveling a lot and allow much bigger data blocks than phone tethering usually (and don't drain your phone battery so fast!) Still might go that route for total internet replacement (beats dealing with the cable company and Verizon's own wired line people that when it goes down it stays down for weeks, and they never, ever, EVER meet an appointment. Ever.) And it goes with you.

But yeah I'd agree Verizon's tethered hotspot seems to be the better tether deal at the moment which is stunning.

Well one thing about fast charging batteries is HEAT. Not just heat possibly reducing battery life, but in Switch's case, overloading the cooling solution. I'm assuming their reduced power profile is related to that.

Interesting about Anker, the cables I bought are their nice red heavy-duty USB-C cables. Hopefully they're good, though part of why I bought them is at least one reviewer mentioned using them with a Switch And another said they fit snug (arguably too snug) but that's a good thing - wiggle would wear down the contact pins faster than a firm connection if playing while connected.

Yeah those big power bricks are BIG. I actually bought the X6 Pro, but I haven't actually used it yet, so I was curious if you'd looked at those or not. On the up-side they've kind of set themselves up to market toward Switch owners, highlighting Switch along with iPad and S7 etc since before launch. No PD though (as far as I know....QC3 support, but no PD mention....but with their marketing not listing it doesn't mean no though either. I'd presume no.

Nice feeling device, but boy is it big and heavy. Replaces all other chargers and supports fast recharging itself though which is nice. Ships with 100% charge.....which actually is possibly not good for Li-Ion IIRC, but convenient It's barely smaller than Switch itself though. No idea how well it works yet.

NEStalgia

skywake

NEStalgia wrote:

The mobile hotspots can be a great deal if you're traveling a lot and allow much bigger data blocks than phone tethering usually (and don't drain your phone battery so fast!) Still might go that route for total internet replacement (beats dealing with the cable company and Verizon's own wired line people that when it goes down it stays down for weeks, and they never, ever, EVER meet an appointment. Ever.) And it goes with you.

Not really the case here in Australia. Looking at the prices as of today "data only" mobile plans are marginally cheaper than plans with a voice service attached. So that's a thing. But for a home service? Where quota exists at all with home plans you're getting somewhere between 20x and 100x more data per $ vs what you'd get with a mobile plan.

To be more specific, the best value data-only mobile plan I can find from the only provider here worth bothering with is $30/mo for 6GB/mo. Five seconds looking at home broadband plans here and the first one that comes up is $60/mo for 250GB/mo. That plan includes a home phone service. So yeah, maybe things are different here in the US but here the economics of it make dropping the fixed line service a bit of a dumb idea.

Edited on by skywake

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, The Avalanches
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

JaxonH

So, I've been doing alot of research and testing with my friend about charging, and we came to conclusion Switch caps off at 18W with PD and 10W with USB C, and 7.5W-10W with USB-A.

Well, my friend found a nice infographic which matches up perfectly with our analysis. Seems alot of other people are coming to the same conclusions.

I'm gonna post this here, but it can also be found in the USB-C portable battery reccomendations thread. This is such a a useful graphic and really puts things into terms most everyone can understand. I didn't make this, but it does corroborate what I've discovered recently with my friend and explains it perfectly.

Untitledfree image hostcertificity.com

CURRENTLY PLAYING
Zelda Breath of the Wild [Switch] ..... Fast Racing RMX [Switch] ..... Persona 5 [PS4] ..... Mass Effect Andromeda [X1] ..... Metroid Other M [Wii]

Jesus is Lord.

Nintendo Network ID: JaxonH

NaviAndMii

Really hoping there'll be some kind of breakout cable(s) available in future - the idea of buying a second dock for ยฃ50-ยฃ60 is a bit of a turn off - especially as it wouldn't be particularly 'travel friendly'...I suppose I could just buy one and have it kicking about in the boot of my car - but a Switch-TV cable set that'd work either by itself, or with a collapsible playstand perhaps (for ventilation/stability), would be a more elegant and portable travel solution... **fingers crossed**

Edited on by NaviAndMii

SNES ๐ŸŽฎ N64 ๐ŸŽฎ GB ๐ŸŽฎ GG ๐ŸŽฎ PC ๐ŸŽฎ PS2 ๐ŸŽฎ GC ๐ŸŽฎ Wii ๐ŸŽฎ PSP ๐ŸŽฎ X360 ๐ŸŽฎ PS4 ๐ŸŽฎ MDC ๐ŸŽฎ Switch

Currently playing: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

โฉMy Games Collection!โช

Switch: SW-0427-7196-3801
My Nintendo: NaviAndMii โ†’ Nickname: TomCatโ˜…

Twitter:

Eric258

Hey guys, just wondering if Nintendo life have their own discord channel. Seeing how the switch online service won't launch until much later, I was wondering if we had a chat group. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I thought it would best fit in this forum since this is switch stuff in general.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2601-9990-4610
Super Mario Run Friend Code: 1391-4403-4742
Fire Emblem Heroes Friend Code: 1332698932

NEStalgia

@skywake Not if all your equipment is mobile and your internet is not Now with switch, my computers (now all laptops) and my gaming are now mobile... I never said mobile was cheaper, it's most definitely not, by a long shot. But more practical in some cases. But the thing is this the way internet is sold here is generally $150-250/mo depending on plan for "unlimited" (or rather unlimited unless you use too much then they tell you you need a business plan for a lot more), and often no metered connections. IN that same price range depending on deals you can get 40-60GB mobile. Well 40GB isn't unlimited. But how much bandwidth do we actually use? I've been playing with the idea for a while and realizing that if you don't stream movies (I don't) and you don't download big games and patches (I've been just ignoring patches and downloading only eShop type games) my total bandwidth use generall falls well below that. Gaming and movies are what's eating up gazillion GBs of data, and most people that aren't doing that are barely using anything. Better some mobile plans have unlimited video anyway if you watch in SD (and some now have it for HD.) Any time I'm streaming video I've been using my phone (more convenient anyway since I don't really watch whole TV shows these days since I'd rather game) so it doesn't even count toward bandwidth.

So basically the proposition is for the same price or maybe a bit more I can get enough bandwidth that does everything except download retail games or play round the clock COD, and I can conveniently take it with me So physical games kind of makes it 50/50.

@JaxonH Great chart! Shame I didn't see that before I bought my non-PD X6. I didn't even know PD was a think until your discussion here, nor that the Switch charger featured it. Ugh!

NEStalgia

Spoony_Tech

@JaxonH I just got a cigarette lighter charger because my usb in my car was horrible. It still loses charge on it but not as bad. I went with the standard amp instead of something stronger but it works well gor my phone.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

WHAT IS RETRO DOING??!!

Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

I was playing Fast RMX online and there was this person whose nickname was GAMER and only picked Scorpio Circuit. Although more than likely just a coincidence, I found it somewhat amusing.

Grumblevolcano

Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

BLP_Software

@Grumblevolcano Case Study: Guy thinks Gamers should only care about specs.

At the same time though, folks troll like that. Makes them feel better.

BLP_Software

IceClimbers

Turned on my Switch today and noticed that the screen's light was flickering a bit. Hope that's not a recurring issue.

It was in a bag with some books, though I specifically make sure not to set down the bag with the books on top of it.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

JaxonH

@Spoony_Tech
I was gonna get a car charger, but then I thought well, I don't really play while driving enough to kill the battery. Drive to work is only 40 min. That's plenty ๐Ÿ˜„

@NEStalgia
Seems the google pixel charger is a great option and actually tests slightly higher than Nintendo's own official charger. I just hate that it's white and no foldable plug.

I ordered 2 new PD chargers that are capable of 30W (15V 2A) which should charge Switch at 18W using the 15V profile with 1.2A but I'll need to test first. If one of these work, I'll advocate for it being the best charging option since both have foldable plugs. And one is even black with a USB-A adapter. That would be fantastic if it ends up working.

If not, plane Jane Pixel charger with its ugly plug sticking out is always an option. But Nintendos charger is not. Too bulky, can't detach cable to use with a portable battery... ya. But a PD charger with detachable cable... that's perfect. Charge from wall full speed like Nintendo AC adapter, or detach cable and use with portable battery, or use to actually charge the portable battery. And if you go with the CableCreation 6.6ft right angle cable, it works perfectly with that little $10 foldable tripod which is the perfect case-friendly option for tabletop charging.

CURRENTLY PLAYING
Zelda Breath of the Wild [Switch] ..... Fast Racing RMX [Switch] ..... Persona 5 [PS4] ..... Mass Effect Andromeda [X1] ..... Metroid Other M [Wii]

Jesus is Lord.

Operative2-0

Oh man, I have a spare Pixel charger that I keep in my backpack for work, I never knew I was carrying around a spare Switch charger as well! That's pretty awesome news

Operative2-0

blaisedinsd

Was just getting some lab work done and the tech says something about my NES controller shirt and we get talking.

Turns out he is a Switch owner who says he hadn't played a Nintendo system since Super Mario Kart on SNES and is loving Zelda and really looking forward to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. He said the concept of being home and portable really sold him on the device.

The portable nature of the switch isn't that important to me but with the early sales and anecdotal evidence like this I am becoming convinced the Switch may suprpass 3DS sales figures in it's lifetime easily if Nintendo can keep this train going.

blaisedinsd

JaxonH

@blaisedinsd
That's a good way of putting it. There really is a lot of anecdotal evidence now. Too much too ignore, really.

CURRENTLY PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

IceClimbers

The Super Bomberman R patch is out. Bunch of fixes and additions, including improving the framerate! Some people are reporting that it's 60 fps now, but that's not 100% confirmed.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

sparkyfilm

Just interested to know how much time of your time with the switched is in 'docked' mode? I am pretty much using mine handheld 100 percent of the time. The couple of times I have attached to the TV, the left joy con kept dropping out, but more than that, I didn't think the switch looked great on the big TV. It looks so much better on the unit itself - the screen is amazing, and I am happy enough just play it as a mobile games platform.

sparkyfilm

Spoony_Tech

@sparkyfilm Depends on the tv really. As good as the screen is it doesn't look as good on the right tv. I play in docked mode as much as I can and when the tv is used for something else I will play handheld. So mine is about 50/50.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

WHAT IS RETRO DOING??!!

FGPackers

@sparkyfilm i play it handheld only when tv is occupied, so 95% docked i would say

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2490-6882-2710
Super Mario Run Friend Code : 8055-7707-7731

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers | Twitter:

sparkyfilm

thanks Spoony - we have a really cool Samsung 4k screen - the ps4 looks awesome on there, but I was a little disappointed by how the Switch looked.

sparkyfilm

Spoony_Tech

@sparkyfilm Really? Mine is a 4k Samsung as well. Make sure your settings are optimizing the picture. Zelda definitely looks better on the big screen. Much clearer and sharper images.

MERG said:

WHAT IS RETRO DOING??!!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic