Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 13,421 to 13,440 of 70,011

NEStalgia

@Spanjard That is the desynching issue. If it happens a lot you can send it in for repair. If you think you have too much distance to the console or something that might be interfering you can try moving the console. It doesn't start on its own, it had to have been like that from the start (but you might be enclosing the joycon in your hand more...I find that makes it a lot more likely to happen.

NEStalgia

gcunit

@Nicolaison Yeh... probably 8 times the amount of recorded time on mine so far, not counting youtube, browser and iPlayer. Got mine a year after launch mind, and had two small kids getting in the way etc. But it's probably 600 more gaming hours than I would have had if I hadn't got a Wii U at all. Still very much using mine too.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

veeflames

@Nicolaison has a point, you guys.
I've used my black Wii U GamePad since launch and its sticks are still pretty much perfect. However, I got myself a white Wii U Pro Controller (I had the option of getting a black one, but I was like "white would be a change of pace!"). And yes, the sticks wore out pretty quickly - to the point that both sticks have lost their rubber covers. It's pretty much unusable at this point. Granted, the place I brought it has a tendency of selling counterfeit products (not to mention the sticks of the Pro Controller felt weird when I started using them), but I'm pretty sure the controller was as Nintendo as it could be.
And it's not just a Wii U problem, either. All my white Nunchuks have sticks that look even worse (well, only one of them, TBF... and my family and I've been using that one for more than 10 years, so... shrug? The rest of the Nunchuk sticks still look horrible, though) than the one Nicolaison posted. I also once had a snow white DS Lite. Looked amazing when I first got it. Now? If my friends didn't snap it in half already then I'm pretty sure it'll look unpleasant at this point.
But yeah, I'm not sure whether the material Nintendo uses for their white joysticks is different from that of their black counterparts... but from my experience the white joysticks do have a tendency to wear out and get dirty quickly than joysticks of other colors (and white stuff, in general). Thankfully the Switch controllers use black sticks so hopefully they should last pretty long.
EDIT: That being said... from the way everyone is talking about that wornout stick of Nicolai's... then it probably seems like GamePad sticks are infact high quality and that stick has been through a lot of abuse Oooooor..... maybe we all have black GamePads. In which case... read the above text wall.

Edited on by veeflames

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Octane

@NEStalgia Nah, it's not a special gasoline skill. Sweat can affect rubber and plastics, but often it's just UV light and the bromine compounds breaking down.

I cannot explain that control though...

Octane

Nicolai

Well, ha ha, I guess it's good to hear that it's an unusual problem, and not affecting any of you. I dunno what to say, lol. I wash my hands after I go to the bathroom and before I cook dinner, so at least 3 times a day. Maybe I just have very highly unusual sweat.

@NEStalgia That would be some headline. "Scientists Discover Extra Terrestrials: Large Hand-drawn Disney-animated Birds with Corrosive Fingers." Some say dangerous.

New theory: I travelled a lot with it in the past, and kept it in a backpack. Maybe it just rubbed off from the friction of rubbing against the backpack's pockets?

On the other hand, it probably is my thumbs, because the left joystick is much more corroded than the right one, which can only be explained by the fact that most games assign the left joystick movement, where the right is either for camera control and/or secondary to the buttons.

It certainly seems more like the material has gotten softer and weaker, though, not just eroded. Maybe it's a combination of both. Maybe all of Nintendo's joysticks get weaker with sweat, but only mine got corroded because of excessive rubbing in the backpack.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Joeynator3000

Anyone who has ordered from Gamestop online, how long does it usually take for whatever you're getting to arrive? Just wondering, lol.
Just got the email saying it has been shipped, says it's estimated to show up on the 31st...really hope not. >.<

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Aaron00

Thirty first of June? I don't shop at GameStop anymore but when I did, it usually took around 4/5 days after it shipped if I remember correctly. It might depend of the item you ordered though. @Joeynator3000

Aaron00

Spoony_Tech

Aaron09 wrote:

Thirty first of June? I don't shop at GameStop anymore but when I did, it usually took around 4/5 days after it shipped if I remember correctly. It might depend of the item you ordered though. @Joeynator3000

Sounds about right. If it shipped today though I can't see him getting it before next Monday unless he got special delivery?

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

NEStalgia

@Vee_Flames Well, obviously white stuff gets dirty/shows dirt more easily than black stuff (why people buy white cars I'll never know.) As for hardness I'm fairly certain that the additives in black silicones tend to harden them. I believe I've read special notes from manufacturers with plenty of silicone products like phone covers/bumpers (that are supposed to be soft and supple) that the black one is stiffer so be warned it won't be as soft as it should be, basically.

BUT yeah Nicholson's isn't just worn, it's misshapen and deformed. That ain't normal.

@Octane Yeah I meant sweat, but some people have sweat/oils that actually have produced compounds similar to gasoline...that's what leeches plasticiser out...but that makes the plastic harder, it doesn't melt it. Body-worn cabling jackets like headphones, stage monitors, lapel mics, etc worry about that problem because it's in close skin contact and has to prevent that problem. I've had a few cables that turned, basically, into rigid PVC tubing from that!

@Joeynator3000 if it's basic shipping that means they shipped it USPS, and the 31st is probably "last possible date". However, that's 1 week (but including a holiday weekend, so that's probably a normal reasonable shipping time. With GameStop I tend to be buying launch day things so I tend to splurge for the launch day shipping promotions like "$8 for overnight" or whatever so it's been ages since I've used their regular shipping.

I ordered a pro controller there, and it took a week or so but they actually didn't ship it for days (waiting for inventory I'd guess) and then shipped it 2 day UPS even though I picked standard as a free upgrade due to the shipping delay I guess.

NEStalgia

Spoony_Tech

Forgot about Monday being a holiday. Tuesday is most likely.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Joeynator3000

....May 31st...
June 31st is overkill. lol

Keep it PG-13-ish.

NEStalgia

@Joeynator3000 Now that I think about it, what carrier was it? It might have been UPS since it's a console, and that would actually be 4 day which sounds about right for UPS ground if you're not near their Louisville warehouse. Saturday & Sunday aren't business days for them and Monday's a holiday, so Thu, Fri, Tues, Weds = 4 day shipping.

NEStalgia

Joeynator3000

Yeah UPS, was hoping it would show up this weekend so I could spend more time with the Arms thing.

Keep it PG-13-ish.

NEStalgia

@Joeynator3000 Yeah I know how that goes....but that would be either 2-day shipping, or would have been possible if you were close to Louisville, KY (that's at least where they shipped mine from for launch. I had to place that order before dawn the morning after the Jan presentation! They were sold out 5 minutes later!)

Was that delivery date from GameStop or UPS's tracking? If it's UPS's it's probably close to absolute. If it's GameStops, UPS should show tracking sometime between 9:00PM to 3:00AM overnight tonight and will have their own date. I would imagine it's unlikely to get there in 2 days unless you're near KY, but Tuesday is still not ruled out.

NEStalgia

Joeynator3000

Yeah UPS doesn't have an estimate yet, it was from Gamestop. But UPS does run on Saturdays here, so...it's possible...o.o

Keep it PG-13-ish.

JoyBoy

@NEStalgia But it is not. It doesn't turn off or anything, it doesn't desync. So it seems like a hardware problem.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Octane

@NEStalgia Contrary to popular belief, there's no oil in sweat (our bodies have some glands that excrete oils, but they don't occur on our hands). Sweat is mostly water, with a bit of sodium, lactic acid, urea and some other trace elements. The controllers are made from ABS, and I can only see water affecting it if exposed for long enough, but I still have a hard time believing the controller survives long enough for you to see the effects of that. UV-light (and heat) is the biggest culprit. It accelerates the break down of bromine bonds with the plastic and causes it to react with the oxygen at the surface, causing the well-known yellowing affect and turning the plastic more brittle over time.

Octane

NEStalgia

@Spanjard Nah the "left joycon problem" doesn't always totally desync, but it's losing reception. It's not a "hardware problem" other than the known hardware problem that they do fix under warranty. But personally I think it's just that the joycons have low transmission power. if I go too far (and have a bunch of stuff blocking the direct line of sight to the console) and grip the controller too much in my hand, the same happens, but it's not just the left joycon it can be either (Link not swinging his sword on right presses etc.)

But I don't think you have some unusual defect with your left stick, I think it's the "normal" signal problem (that may be an actual defect, albeit a known one) or might just be your signal strength. I have two sets of joycon that behave similarly from too far (keeping in mind I have 2 other BT devices in the path blocking it so there's interference.)

NEStalgia

veeflames

@NEStalgia Haha, that's good to know about black stuff. As if I didn't love black hardware/software (like themes)...
@Octane Well, the oil doesn't have to come from sweat. People apply lotion, vaseline, and such to their hands, ya know...

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic