Forums

Topic: The Switch Recommendations Thread

Posts 901 to 920 of 997

Magician

Cissero wrote:

Any suggestions? Or opinions on a game like Albion online / Runescape / Maplestory coming to switch?

Warframe

You could spend thousands of hours in that game and you'll have gotten nowhere.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 385 games (as of August 22nd, 2019)
Currently playing: OPUS Collection (Switch) Mary Skelter (PS Vita) Borderlands The Pre-sequel (PS4)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

RedderRugfish

@Cissero Monster Hunter. You don't grind for levels, you grind for parts to make cool gear by fighting giant beasts. And the combat is so fun, it never gets tedious, especially online.

Mario Maker 2: JN2-5GV-VTF
Latest Level: The Mario Repair Shop 361-D5D-1CG

Cissero

@ReaderRagfish I've gotten this suggestion a lot, guess I'll dive into it and give it a fair shot Thanks!

Cissero

scubydo

So for a JRPG, what is one that is recommended at the moment? Or forthcoming in the next week or so? I have XENOBLADE 2 and Torna, so that one is in my library all ready, just fyi.

RPG, FPS, Adventure,Action...oh I like 'em all!

Nintendo Network ID: devineministry

HeroOfCybertron

How is Feudal Alloy?

Bah-Weep-Graaaaagnah Wheep Ni Ni Bong

Cissero

@HeroOfCybertron i heard that Feudal Alloy doesnt live up to the expectations. To me it looks very cool and I do want to try it out tho. I'm planning to read some more reviews before buying tho.

Cissero

New_Guest

wafflesngravy wrote:

I'll probably get yelled at with really loud voices but I tried BOTW on Saturday and really didn't like it at all. The graphics were great and the concept seemed great but I just found myself bored after a while. I played for 5 hours straight and all I did was walk around for 5 hours. I beat the first 4 shrines to finally learn more about the game and why I was playing it but I just lost interest quickly. There wasn't enough story to really keep me going. So I did a chat with nintendo asking about a possible refund. I didn't figure I'd get it, but they did! I think they felt pity on me since I lost the Switch for 2 weeks due to a repair. So now I have a $60 credit. We might try Mario Odyssey next. It's probably just me and my family, maybe we just prefer goofier games like MK8D. We've had a good time with that one. Just my 2 cents anyways.

What about the first zelda on NES? it didnt really have that much story either

New_Guest

New_Guest

MrBlutzIII wrote:

Hey guys, looking for a new game to dive into! Hoping for a little help!

Here are the games I have played: Breath Of The Wild, Super Smash Bros, Splatoon 2, Most of the free games.

Here is what I am excited about: Link's Awakening, My Time at Portia, New Pokemon Title, New Pikmin Title, Cuphead.

Here is what I am not really interested in right now: Turn Based battle games, Scrollers (some exceptions), 8-bit games (some exceptions, such as StarDew Valley which I have on my phone), some of the newer mario titles like Mario Kart, Toad's Adventure, etc. I have debated on Mario Odyssey, but not sure if it will scratch my current Itch. I have also debated Let's Go Pikachu, but I am not an avid GO! player and not sure how I would enjoy the whole not battling to catch pokemon and instead just throwing balls at them..

So! That is where I am at! Let me know what you might suggest! Thanks!

ARMS and Monster boy are really good games

Edited on by New_Guest

New_Guest

Magician

ZedSwitch wrote:

I have $20 left in funds for the eShop and I'm down to choosing either one of these games...

At $20, and with Pulstar/Blazing Star on your list, I insist you consider Ikaruga instead. There are several shmups available that are what I'd consider to be "swimming in 7s." The shmups from Psikyo and East Asia Soft. There are even a few 8s, such as Blazing Star (that slowdown though). But Ikaruga is a 9 in my book, a must-play in the genre.

Currently playing: OPUS Collection (Switch) Mary Skelter (PS Vita) Borderlands The Pre-sequel (PS4)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

NintendoSlav

Hey guys, I know this has probably been asked a hundred times already - I'm looking for a game to sink hours of exploration/progress into after finishing BotW. Preferably an RPG adventure, but I'm not sure if I'd like the deeper/more complex ones like Skyrim.

Right now it's likely between Monster Hunter, Dark Souls, Darksiders, My time at Portia, or Ittle Dew 2. Open to any other suggestions.

The main thing I'm looking for is exploration and item hunting, as well as puzzles. I hear Darksiders is great for this but the puzzles are very simple and the game is currently overpriced in my region ($50 in Australia).

Dark Souls looks very appealing but watching footage of it looks like it hasn't aged well (never played it before). The combat looks slow and repetitive, the visuals are dark and uninviting, and the animations unpolished. I could be wrong though.

To say thanks, I'll provide a mini verdict of some of the games I've played so far in case it helps anyone.

NintendoSlav

NintendoSlav

So here's my verdict on the games I've bought so far in case anyone is interested.

Blaster Master Zero - not a good buy unless you're a fan of the originals. The controls are terrible, the platforming not fun at all, directional shooting is near impossible, and the visuals/sound/UI are too old for their own good.

Celeste - a must-buy. Great example of retro style done right. Classic platforming with plenty of gameplay depth, tight controls, and an original story that any modern-day adult can relate to as opposed to the usual mythical stuff.

Enter the Gungeon - OK if you want something for pick-up-and-play, but don't expect too much. The level and item randomization is too inconsistent. Sometimes you get a gun/item that makes you unstoppable, other times you get junk. Enjoying the game and progressing seems to be a matter of luck.

RIVE - good but very unfairly challenging at times. Requires a lot of unavoidable deaths just to figure out what to do. The controls are very good but shooting just feels a little off at times, which is crucial for a game this fast-paced.

Mario Odyssey, BoTW & Smash - not without their flaws, but definitely must-plays. They're on sale now as well so picking them up for the current price is a great deal.

NintendoSlav

Magician

NintendoSlav wrote:

I'm looking for a game to sink hours of exploration/progress into after finishing BotW. Preferably an RPG adventure, but I'm not sure if I'd like the deeper/more complex ones like Skyrim.

That's easy, I highly recommend Yonder. It's a collectathon/adventure/sim-lite game. There's zero combat, with gameplay being primarily busy work. The game has quite a large world to explore and the atmosphere is pretty chill.

NintendoSlav

Magician wrote:

That's easy, I highly recommend Yonder. It's a collectathon/adventure/sim-lite game. There's zero combat, with gameplay being primarily busy work. The game has quite a large world to explore and the atmosphere is pretty chill.

Thanks, I'll definitely keep that one on my list. It looks amazing but it sounds a little too laid back and repetitive by the reviews - ie no risk of dying, no leveling up etc. Would be good to see how it compares to Portia or Stardew Valley in terms of the crafting and farming elements.

NintendoSlav

troy258

@scubydo
I would recommend Disgaea 5 complete if you are looking for a grindy turnbased jrpg
Tales of vesperia definitive edition, if you want an action based rpg
Atelier rorona, if you are looking for a more relaxed experience and like micromanaging your items. ( I suggest not buying the deluxe pack, rorona is really good, totori is average, and meruru has some bugs)
There is also Battle chasers nightwar, final fantasy IX, final fantasy VII and final fantasy X-X2 but I haven't finished/bought them so I can't personally recommend them.

Edited on by troy258

troy258

DensoYamaha41

Hello,

I have beaten Zelda and Octopath Traveler which both games I highly recommend. I bought Xenoblade 2 and put 5 hours into and really disliked it. I am just not a fan of the story and especially fighting. In my opinion the fighting was too dumb downed.

I really liked Octopath and other Final Fantasy games but never played 12. Was wondering FF 12 fighting is like Xenoblade or is it more intuitive.

I already beaten FF6, 7. 8, 9, 10. Any other RPGs on Switch that people recommend?

Thanks

DensoYamaha41

Magician

DensoYamaha41 wrote:

Any other RPGs on Switch that people recommend?

That depends on the subgenre you're looking for. Turn based? Xenoblade Chronicles 2 would be my favorite. Open world? Skyrim. Action? Ys VIII. Tactical? Mario+Rabbids. Strategy? Valkyria Chronicles 4. Rogue-like? Darkest Dungeon. Dungeon? Labyrinth of Refrain. Character? Wasteland 2. Adventure? Ittle Dew 2+. Pocket Monster? World of Final Fantasy. Beat'em Up/Brawler? Code of Princess. Sandbox? Portal Knights.

The term RPG is very ubiquitous because so many games use RPG elements these days.

R_Champ

@DensoYamaha41

Xenoblade 2's fighting system gets better the farther you get into the game. Maybe not quite as good as the first two Xeno games, but elemental combos are pretty cool when you get them just right. Story stays about the same so if you didn't like it, that doesn't change much throughout the game.

Final Fantasy XII isn't really more intuitive than Xenoblade 2 (though not really less either). It's mostly about how you set up your "Gambits", which are set behaviors you you prioritize for your AI teammates. A typical gambit might look like:

1) Status=Negative: Cast Esuna
2) Any ally: HP<50: Cast Curaga
3) Attack enemy: nearest

It's pretty straight forward but you can really spend a lot of time changing up your gambits to meet the needs of different battles. There are no combos or timing like Xenoblade 2, but "Quickenings" (Limit Breaks of XII) are very similar to elemental combos in Xenoblade.

I haven't played too many RPG's on Switch yet (I own many of them on other systems already). But Tales of Vesperia is a solid game if you like the series, and Valkyria Chronicles 4 was a lot more fun than I'd thought it'd be (real-time/turn based). Skyrim is always a winner if you haven't played it yet (still one of the best open world games up their with Witcher 3 and Zelda). Dark Souls wasn't really my thing, I beat it, but didn't enjoy it much. Great atmosphere, but I always felt like I was slogging through the game and not enjoying it, but that could be different for you.

Nintendo & Steam ID: R_Champ

NintendoSlav

I keep going back and forth on buying Xenoblade 2. I saw it at a garage sale for $50 (Australian prices) which is a decent deal, but I keep hearing mixed reviews. It seems to be either love or hate so I might take the plunge and see. The open world exploration looks amazing.

Regarding Dark Souls, I bought it and was instantly dissatisfied, but the next thing I knew I had spent almost 10 hours trying to get better. It's kind of grown on me a little (with the help of YouTube walkthroughts). The realistic combat and physics are amazing - definitely something I feel was lacking in BoTW. The problem is that the games makes no effort to explain any of the endless mechanics and features that you can use, there's no map or explanation as to where you need to go, and you basically get punished for trying to explore by being insta-killed from sneak-attacks by big enemies.

NintendoSlav

NintendoSlav

Also - can someone clarify whether the Xenoblade Torna DLC can be purchased and played separately from the base game? I'm seeing physical copies on eBay being sold but not sure how it works.

I hear great reviews about it - apparently they fixed some of the glaring issues in the base game and made it more friendly for beginners with a shorter story. I'm thinking it might be a better place to start.

NintendoSlav

Magician

NintendoSlav wrote:

Also - can someone clarify whether the Xenoblade Torna DLC can be purchased and played separately from the base game? I'm seeing physical copies on eBay being sold but not sure how it works.

Whether you buy Torna the Golden Country physically or digitally, owning the base game isn't necessary to play Torna the Golden Country. However, TtGC comes with a DLC code for various content only usable by playing the base game, Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic