Forums

Topic: The Switch Recommendations Thread

Posts 921 to 940 of 1,037

Qwertyninty

Can accessories recommendations be made in this thread also... or is this only for games? If not is there an accessories thread?

Qwertyninty

toiletduck

It happens here regularly so I think you're good to go.

toiletduck

LetsGoSwitch

Tell me about LABO VR's coding features. That's all I care about, me and my son are getting the £35 pack

LetsGoSwitch

Darknyht

After owning a switch for about six weeks, I am going to turn here to try to find something to play on it. The only two restrictions are that I refuse to purchase something I already own on Wii U (which for sake of this assume if it was on Wii U and worth owning, I purchased it), and I am trying to not spend more than $40 for any game.

I have already have Blaster Master Zero 1 & 2, Paladins (most F2P have been tried), Starlink, Super Mario Odyssey, XBC2: Torna, Sega Gensis Collection and Might Gunvolt Burst. What else is worth purchasing under $40?

Darknyht

Nintendo Network ID: DarKnyht | Twitter:

Ralizah

@Darknyht Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle goes on sale quite often, and it's one of those best exclusives on the system. I'd highly recommend that the next time Ubisoft games are on sale.

Have you played Valkyria Chronicles? It's superb, and only $20 normally.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Darknyht

@Ralizah I have looked at Mario + Rabbids, but I am not huge on strategy games so I haven't given it a hard look. That is part of the reason I have been shy about Valkyria Chronicles too. I tend to lack the patience to play them, with the exception of Final Fantasy Tactics which just somehow struck the right chord at the time.

Maybe the next time I see it on sale in Walmart I will go ahead and pick up Mario + Rabbids and try it. Worse case scenario I will have to go to the retro store to sell it.

Darknyht

Ralizah

@Darknyht Have you played Hollow Knight? It's one of the best indies on the system. People also rave about Celeste.

Have you played the base game of Xenoblade 2? Octopath Traveler? Fire Emblem Warriors? The latter goes on sale quite frequently (actually, if you're American, it's on sale right now via Amazon).

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

HeroOfCybertron

How is A Hole World? I was interested in buying A Hole New World but didn't because I heard it was broken and then noticed it had been pulled from the eshop, today while I was looking through the eshop sales and noticed A Hole New was back and on sale, so has it been fixed?

Bah-Weep-Graaaaagnah Wheep Ni Ni Bong

Darknyht

@Ralizah I think I found something. Walmart had a physical Steamworld Dig 2 on sale and I will probably pick that up.

EDIT: Decided instead to pickup Bloodstained. I have appear to be on a 8/16 bit pixel art kick lately. Must be age.

Edited on by Darknyht

Darknyht

RR529

How is the difficulty in Onimusha & Darksiders? For more action oriented games within recent memory I've beaten the main quests/stories in BotW, Fire Emblem Warriors, God of War (2018), Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition, Okami HD, Shining Resonance Refrain, Yakuza Kiwami, and YS VIII, all on "Normal" for games with difficulty settings.

Think I'd be able to handle either of those two games, or are they more Dark Souls, Nioh, or Ninja Gaiden kinda difficulty, of which I'm not really into (especially curious about Onimusha in that regard)?

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

Louise29

hello everyone looking for new games to try I am not into games where you fight people

https://4drclanforum.com/

Louise29

everyone what is rocket league like is it still active

https://4drclanforum.com/

Dogorilla

@Louise29 I haven't played it for a while but the Switch version has cross-platform multiplayer with Xbox One and PC so I'm certain it will still be active.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NCyD3XoJgM

Ralizah

@Darknyht Good choice on Bloodstained. It's a fantastic little game, and decidedly better than any of the NES Castlevania titles.

Ralizah

k8sMum

@Ralizah
I want to thank you for your opinions last week. I also want to tell you that I am completely blown away by BotW! Yes, it's a huge open world, but there is so much to do. I've died a lot, but there is such satisfaction when tasks are accomplished.

The Switch is great. I've always been almost totally a handheld gamer, but my husband passed away Feb 28 and, unfortunately, I no longer need to share out tv. Docked is terrific.

Turns out, for me at least, BoTW is helpful in coping with grief.

Edited on by k8sMum

'Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt' Tolkien
'God is a kid with an antfarm.' "Constantine"
3ds friend code: 0860 3849 6133
Caitlin's Memorial Site

Ralizah

@k8sMum The trouble I have with most open world games is that their worlds often feel like wastes of space. You have vast tracts of land, and little to do in them except talk to some NPCs and very occasionally find interactive objects. Moreover, they're often perfectly linear narratives that are spaced out between different areas, so, more often than not, you're just deviating from the goal of your character.

BotW solved those problems for me. I found the open world compelling not only because of the constant sense of discovery as you venture out into Hyrule, but also because, to some extent, you need to survive in those wilds. So: hunting, horse-taming, multiple ways to interact with almost everything in your environment, staying warm in arctic environments, avoiding lightning, etc. It's possibly the most complex and interactive environment ever found in an open-world adventure game. It's also the only Zelda game where I've had to actually think about how to approach a situation instead of mindlessly charging at enemies.

Moreover, while the plot that's there is a bit thin, it still tells an interesting story through unlockable cutscenes. But the goal of the game is nothing more and nothing less than defeating Ganon, and the entire game is the process of getting to that point. As almost everything you do makes you stronger somehow, the ludonarrative dissonance often associated with open world adventuring disappears. The exploration, discovery, etc. IS the game, IS the story, and the way the player goes about it is utterly unique to them.

I'm glad to hear you're digging the game! Hopefully it helps you keep your mind off things as you deal with the new reality you've found yourself in. I'm very sorry for your loss.

Ralizah

Doger

For anyone whose listening to a rando with a memey account, No Reload Heros is a pretty fun game to play with a couple of buddies.

This post was made by the PlantGang

Darknyht

@I am enjoying if for nothing that there is a casual mode and I can pick it up and leave. To be honest I have enjoyed all the Inti Creates retro titles and hope they make more.

Darknyht

Arbor

what are the best rpgs on switch? and also...whats the difference between an rpg and a jrpg??

Arbor

Darknyht

@Arbor To answer the second question, a jRPG or (Eastern RPG) has it's roots in the original Dragon Quest and the path of development/style that Japanese companies took. Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Ys, the Tales series, Star Ocean, and games like them follow that design philosophy. Western RPGs grew out of pen and paper RPGs like DND and originated with games like Wizardry, the TSR developed RPGs, Fallout/Wasteland, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Neverwinter Nights and Diablo being some examples of them. Each have a different approach to narrative, gameplay and systems; but to be honest they both can and do overlap and steal concepts from each other.

As for the Switch: Skyrim (if you haven't played it, and even if you have), Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Let's Go Pikachu! Diablo III, Stardew Valley, Golf Story, Octopath Traveler, Final Fantasy (VII, IX and Zodiac Age) and probably a lot that I am not remembering are some of the better ones I've seen (or played on other systems).

Edited on by Darknyht

Darknyht

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic