Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 13,481 to 13,500 of 15,210

Nicolai

Octane wrote:

Though I wish the forums got more traffic...

Sounds like a request for more gif-spamming!

Untitled

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Haru17

@Nicolai

Untitled

Sword dancing.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

GameOtaku

Isn't there a store that sells weapons not just arrows or armor?

GameOtaku

Haru17

@GameOtaku Nope, there are no blacksmiths left in the whole kingdom. Weird, I never noticed that when playing.

gcunit

Monkey_Balls wrote:

... that could sum up BotW: loads of potential, most of it wasted. Exploration seldom led to anything worth finding; I completed it a few months ago and already forgotten most of the experience. It's certainly not as memorable as most of the other Zelda games.

I think the main reason for that is just the sheer size of the game - any individual memory becomes more diluted. My abiding memory of the game will likely be just the joy of wild exploration and experiencing it all. But I've enjoyed a lot of the dialogue - surprisingly well written IMO; the first time I discovered a labyrinth; first time I went to Eventide; the seductive charms of the great fairies and the Gerudo leader; the shrine search with torches in the dark with the Hinox; my first time atop the twin peaks; finding my first recovered memory and the Lanaryu Road; happening upon a less obvious entrance to the castle; meeting Kass for the first time atop a tower and getting down to his phat beats.... so many happy moments.

But I do agree the game could be improved with some more unique enemies spread around the kingdom, and instead of rupees for side quests there should be unique gear items that have enhanced qualities. And I'd like NPCs to take a bit more interest in Link's quest if it's such dark times. But it's still the best adventure game I've ever played.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Haru17

Untitled

Core gameplay loop. Also this is such a weird, out of time meme. Obviously Call Me Maybe didn't come out until years after Twilight Princess, and yet the image capture quality is still so low XD.

Edited on by Haru17

Krull

GameOtaku wrote:

Actually, there is one store that sells weapons - and they're some of the best weapons in the game. You just need to scrounge together lots of ancient, ahem, parts.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Old_Goat_Ninja

Krillin_ wrote:

GameOtaku wrote:

Actually, there is one store that sells weapons - and they're some of the best weapons in the game. You just need to scrounge together lots of ancient, ahem, parts.

My dumba$$ sold most of the ancient stuff early in the game when I needed funding to buy the armor necessary for certain areas. I didn't figure out/find the ancient place until pretty late into the game. Oh well. Never needed the Ancient stuff anyways, but still, wish I had known beforehand.

Switch: SW-8029-5307-6701
PSN: Old_Goat_Ninja
XBL: Old Goat Ninja
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OldGoatNinja

rjejr

@Octane Tasuki would've kicked me out

Tasuki - 'nuff said.

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me

sr_388

@Haru17 There is a Korok that requires you to chop down a tree to bring a rock to it. At least I couldn't figure any other way to bring it over. So four!

Personally, I liked that the game was built more organically and less like a video game. I've never been a big fan of video game logic, especially in games that are supposed to be "realistic." My favorite was in Assassin's Creed 2 when Ezio would accidentally knock some pillar over and say "Good. Now I can get back up if I fall." lol

sr_388

Monkey_Balls

gcunit wrote:

Monkey_Balls wrote:

It's certainly not as memorable as most of the other Zelda games.

I think the main reason for that is just the sheer size of the game - any individual memory becomes more diluted. My abiding memory of the game will likely be just the joy of wild exploration and experiencing it all.

I suppose, but I've never played a game (particularly a Zelda one) where everything blurs into each other so much that it mostly becomes a forgetful haze. I loved exploring at first ("Wow, what's out there?"), but it soon became apparent that I wasn't going to be finding much, in which case exploration started to become a chore. I enjoyed the game overall (sunk over 300 hours into it) but there were a lot of disappointments throughout. It was almost cruel at times to see something of interest in the distance only to find, after much travelling, nothing very noteworthy. And that happened time and time again: the tease often didn't provide a reward. I wouldn't say the map was empty as such, but it was blander than expected (and hinted at).

gcunit wrote:

But I've enjoyed a lot of [...] so many happy moments.

I enjoyed those moments too but unfortunately they were few and far between. It wasn't just that the sheer size of the game diluted them (although, agreed, that was a contributing factor) - quite often such experiences were too short-lived to be fully appreciated, and I was often left wanting more. A good example would be the Yiga hideout: it was way too short. When the mission started I was looking forward to a lengthy, stealthy jaunt through enemy territory. A few rooms later and it was over (the boss fight was decent though).

I think that's my biggest issue with this game overall: not enough epic set-pieces, or epic anything really (apart from the initial wonder on the Plateau). The good stuff was delivered in bite-sized tasty morsels which were finished almost as soon as they were started. I wouldn't have minded a few feasts. Okay, now I'm hungry.

Oh, another gripe with the Yiga hideout: completion triggers random Yiga Warrior attacks throughout the world. Those guys are annoying.

Monkey_Balls

Nintendo Network ID: widdowk

Haru17

@sr_388 You're gonna have to be more specific I only did that like 900 times.

sr_388

@Haru17 You cut down a tree and carried a rock across it for a Korok 900 times? I think you made finding Koroks harder than you needed to.

sr_388

Haru17

Or you could be obtuse. The detriment of that choice is that now I don't believe you.

Henmii

2 things:

1: Is it normal that a bear makes strange twitching movements and strange sounds (and then dies) after you dismounted it, lol? It looks like my bear collapsed of exhaustion!

2: Nintendo does have copied certain terrains, but in a clever way. It was just recently that I noticed: Heh, this mountain and waterfall I have seen somewhere before. Somewhere else on the map, but there I collected the korok-seed! Its understandable, for such a big game you can't create unique landscapes all the time. But they masked it in a very clever way.

Henmii

Haru17

All open world games use repeated elements, they're just a bit more obvious in Breath of the Wild due to the spartan world design and art style and the fact that the shrines, the game's only real indoor environments outside of towns, literally all look the same. I think there are three different waterfalls; the wide ones you can swim up (+ a frost effect for cold the game's like two freezing water areas), the smaller non-vertical ones that bounce off rocks, and the little waterfalls in Zora's Domain and Gerudo Town.

You see the rock formation with two giant boulders and three paths that lead out a lot. It can be found near one of the fairy fountains and twice on Satori Mountain.

Haru17

It's ironic given the title, but Breath of the Wild actually has some of the least sacred nature in the series due to the absence of a forest temple.

Nicolai

@MegaTen The character Botrick apparently directs you to Satori Mountain, and he looks a lot like our late president.
Untitled
I've personally never seen him mention the mountain or its lord in the game, though.

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic