Forums

Topic: Switch Physical Boxed Games List & Release Dates (US & CA)

Posts 3,801 to 3,820 of 11,400

hirokun

eightbit wrote:

paihia wrote:

@eightbit Ive never bought a digital download game I never will. the day when you cant buy video games in physical form is the day I stop buying the medium. I understand the importance of a digital only future for our plastic culture does hurt the earth. but I am an 80s/90 child n I will always love my plastic carts no matter what!

Amen! I am a 70's kid myself. Grew up on the Atari 2600, Colecovision, a few others in between, NES, SMS...well you get the idea. The whole "digital purchase" thing is still baffling to me. Why in the hell would anyone want to spend big money (sometimes $60 or more) on something they do not physically own? I really don't get that mindset, and I never will. I really believe the Switch will probably be one of the last (if not the last) game console that offers physical media as a means of playing games. And if that is the case, it will be the last console I collect for and play. When everything goes pure digital in the future (which appears to be inevitable) I won't continue. I will just sit back and enjoy the backlog of physical games I own as well as hunt down the physical games I still need.

I'm no OG gamer, but I see the danger of the digital only future. I want to own my games, not be given permission to play a game I paid for. Not to mention the fact that it all goes up in smoke if you try to get a new console or download servers go offline. Down the line I'll be able to play any game I want. The only real thing you miss out on in the long run is potentially updated software, but v1.0 is better than being locked out of your games forever. With handhelds like the 3DS and switch where the console is more likely to be stolen or lost too, it is even more important to have physical copies so that you don't lose ALL your games. I can't tell you how often online I've seen people lose a 3DS and lose tons of games because they were proud digital gamers. shrug. Convienient? Yes. Cheaper? Occasionally. Wise? No.

I sexually identify as a Pommelo

Paraka

@hirokun - My first taste of this was in college. Bought a music artists "digiCD" when the digital realm was infantile. It was good music, but had to delete it to make room for a finals project, thinking I can download later cause "cloud reasons."

Well, those reasons only work when the creators, publishers and authors think its wise to keep them there. He didn't. He pulled everything due to piracy and with it went any access I had to his music. To this day, still have not found it.

Now replace music with any digital game out there and you have the recipe of placing all the risk of YOUR purchases in THEIR hands.

Not to mention some external forces seek to control what you play. Where several progressive minded sought after the game Hatred on Steam. The ToS dictates that Valve can pull it OFF YOUR DIGITAL SHELF when they see fit and exercised that term to accommodate to the complaints.

But money won out that time, but other smaller games were not so lucky.

All of this flags many warnings for me on top of personal risks of owning 300 games on a single untransferable harddrive.

Paraka

ieatdragonz

A big example of the digital only world influencing my life was a situation I had gotten into on the Wii U. A couple of years ago I had purchased a humble bundle that included Freedom Planet, Runbow and a couple of others that I have honestly forgotten about. After I had purchased the bundle, I asked my sister to redeem the codes while I was off at school. I returned home and they were all on the console.

Fast forward a couple of months. Finally, I get a large enough group of people to play Runbow together. We are about to get ready to play and have set everything up. I click the icon and... "user who has purchased the game is not on the console".

It turns out that my sister had deleted her account just a month ago. She had done this because she set up parental controls by accident and wanted to link her 3DS account with the Wii U. Unfortunately, this meant that every game she had bought was impossible to play ever again. This included the codes for the humble bundle.

And thus, a night of fun was ruined because of a mistake. Am I saying this wasn't my fault? No, but that doesn't mean squat. Nintendo was able to take the games I had rightfully purchased away. I wasn't so crossed about it since the bundle was pocket change, but how about my sister's thirty dollar Just Dance? The rights can't transfer over? Again, it might be the decision of hers to blame, but this would never happen with a physical game.

People might think I'm childish for my picture, and I am.
Favorite games: Super Mario Odyssey, Super Metroid, Mass Effect 2, Red Dead Redemption, and Sonic Generations
If you like Kirby, then you are a person I can trust.

Taya

I downloaded a bunch of games for the DSi and Wii and those games are basically dead to me. Remember Lost Winds? And Looksey’s Lineup? My Life as King or that weird Harvest Moon where you have a shop? They’re not on my shelf so it’s hard to remember they even exist.

I still probably have access to them but it’s not likely I’ll play them again, most likely because I forget they exist. And I’m not even sure it’s possible to download DSi and Wii games anymore.

Taya

Magician

Fortnite physical version incoming.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Paraka

@Taya - Ah yes, Rune Factory.

Need another of that game again.

And a Lost Winds sequel, that would be keen.

But that's for a different topic.

Paraka

Taya

@Paraka No not Rune Factory; you can buy a physical copy of all of those games.

I'm talking about Harvest Moon: My Little Shop

It exists but you'd never know because it's digital only.

Taya

BryanS

@Taya I think that is the only Harvest Moon I don't have because it is digital only.

@Paraka I hope there will be another Rune Factory, but the developers went bankrupt or something like that. I don't know who has the rights to make a new one, but one for the switch would be nice.

Downloadable web page of all physical switch games I can find so far.
Updated Feb 16, 2019
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/evebru3xl4sms7r/AAAmPfADunWojFZAOzKBzMcJa?dl=0

Paraka

@Taya - I swore it was Rune Factory, though I also believe the last one was digital only before that studio collapsed. May just simply had them crossed, but I do know one was digital only.

@BryanS - Hell, I would just accept RF4 to be ported by this point, it was my favorite.

Paraka

BryanS

@Paraka I wonder if all 6 could be ported to one cartridge. That would be nice. Probably won't happen but I can dream.

Downloadable web page of all physical switch games I can find so far.
Updated Feb 16, 2019
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/evebru3xl4sms7r/AAAmPfADunWojFZAOzKBzMcJa?dl=0

paihia

new rating for Blaster Master Zero has popped up on the ESRB n to be published by Nicalis!

paihia

paihia

Aragami officially announced for switch today

paihia

paihia

Dead Cells came today with its tini tiny artbook n yeah it was pretty lame but it fit right into my daughters tiny 4 yo hands so perfect

paihia

paihia wrote:

Aragami officially announced for switch today

Nice! Glad I resisted the urge to get it on PS4

Isn't Blaster Master Zero already on the Switch?

@Paraka
Rune Factory 4 on Switch would be pretty dope. But to be honest I think the entire 3DS, and even DS library would go great on the Switch.

I have many games, far too few of them played. Currently making my way through:
3DS: Bravely Default
Switch: Rune Factory 4 Special
PS4: Greedfall
PC: Satisfactory, Pathfinder Kingmaker
PS3: DS: GBA: SNES: GC: Wii:

My Nintendo: Avatar40k | Nintendo Network ID: Avatar40k

JasmineDragon

paihia wrote:

Dead Cells came today with its tini tiny artbook n yeah it was pretty lame but it fit right into my daughters tiny 4 yo hands so perfect

I'm picturing a tiny four-year-old hardcore Dead Cells savant tearing up the Toxic Sewers now. That's parenting done right, dude!

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

JasmineDragon

@Paraka Rune Factory 4 definitely has a physical edition, my daughter has it. Rune Factories and Harvest Moons are her jam.

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

SVTornado

@Avatar40k blaster master zero is on switch, yes, but not physical like this listing suggests

SVTornado

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic