Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Posts 3,721 to 3,740 of 4,508

Rexenoboy

My hopes for Rex being one of the DLC fighters has been completely smashed.
With Nintendo picking the characters and Sakurai having very little control over who gets in and who doesn't, I think Rex doesn't stand a chance anymore.

Also, I'm seeing a trend with these Fighter Packs. The very first DLC was Piranha Plant, a first party character. Then we got 4 third party characters until the first Fighters Pass finished things off with Byleth. The second Fighters Pass started with Min Min and now we've got Steve, which makes me think the next three DLCs will be third parties as well and the final character of the second pass will be a first party character. And if there's only one more first party character left, Rex has basically no chance.

I could be wrong but it appears to me that Sakurai has much more control over who gets in the base game than he does over who gets added later as DLC. If that's the case then Rex's chances are very, very low. I think it's more likely he'll be added to the next Smash game, if there's ever going to be one, on Nintendo's next console than him appearing in Ultimate.

Edit: by the way, even though I don't care much for Steve at present time, I'm still going to watch Sakurai's presentation later today.

Edited on by Rexenoboy

Treasure Acquired

SKTTR

@Rexenoboy
Rex would actually be 5th on my Not Wanted list. I left him out though, because I still want him some day. Just not yet.

The sole reason I don't want him now is Xenoblade Chronicles X. I really want Elma and don't want Xenoblade Chronicles X to be skipped over. That would be a travesty. Everything about XBC X was better than XBC 2. From graphics, to soundtrack, to story, to gameplay. It's just the sales that weren't as good.

However, I think Rex's chances are extremely high, and I wouldn't count him out just yet. Sakurai wanted him in originally. His Mii costume as a bonus in Fighters Pass 1 is evidenced by that. He was shelved because they had to ship the game.

If Fighters Pass 2 is like 1, starting with a 1st Party, then four 3rd Partys and then another 1st Party to close it off, there's still hope for him.

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

jump

@Rexenoboy you're implying Sakurai would included Rex in the first place, he might not care.

I would worry too much about pattern predictions for who the pass fighters are, it's like the tin hat conspiracists looking for proof of 9/11 or Coivd in the bible.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Rexenoboy

@jump
Sakurai clearly stated before he wanted to add Rex but couldn't because of time constraints.

@SKTTR
I'm positive Rex would have been added to the game already if Sakurai had any say in who gets added as DLC, but that's the problem here. Sakurai doesn't get to decide, Nintendo does. And that's what worries me.
I understand why you want Elma to be added first though. It's only natural if you think XCX is a better game than XC2. I liked X very much but wasn't that big on its story and characters.

Edited on by Rexenoboy

Treasure Acquired

DarkRula

@Christofu Well, it's not like you'd need to do every test straight away, and there could always be a feature where others could test a course to allow that character to be available for everyone to choose. That would make the work easier on the creator and still allow all characters to be available (but the player would know the character might not be able to complete it since they're the one doing the testing).

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

Dogorilla

Having just played the Crash N Sane Trilogy for the first time less than two months ago, I have to say those games have aged a lot better than Mario 64 and Sunshine. Crash is definitely not as inspired or creative but they still hold up reasonably well, whereas those early 3D Marios can be extremely frustrating in places. I think that's to be expected though since the Crash games are more simple, linear games, which usually age better than more open games.

As for whether I want Crash in Smash: he wouldn't be my first choice but he's certainly a very popular and long-running character so I'd be happy for him to be added. I don't really like his design though, he looks like a C-list Sonic character. I prefer Coco so hopefully she'd be available as an alt skin.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

TheFrenchiestFry

@Rexenoboy Sakurai gets to decide. Nintendo approaches him with fighter ideas, but Sakurai ultimately has to sign off on who he picks based on how efficiently he can adapt their particular moves and best traits to suit the Smash environment, and obviously a personal level of respect for the series that he's working with as evidenced by Joker and Steve's inclusions. He still has the ability to veto any ideas Nintendo might throw at him if he feels that they can't be turned into a fighter without betraying how they were depicted in their games.

Honestly if anything I think the final nail in the coffin for Rex was probably when he willingly chose Byleth over Rex, given at the time of their inclusion, Three Houses was still an extremely new game, while Xenoblade 2 had been out for about a year at that point, completely contradicting his claims that he couldn't be added into the game due to time constraints. I think in actuality he just either forgot about Rex or might not even care at all.

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Snatcher

@Northwind The day will come were mario can fight crash.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Blooper987

45 minutes. Not expecting much. Hopefully we’ll get some cool mii costumes and music!

Switch Friend Code: SW-0772-1845-0995

Snatcher

@Blooper987 I hope they show more amiibo and cool mii fighter skin.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

Rexenoboy

@TheFrenchiestFry
I've seen a lot of conflicting reports on who's deciding which characters get added as DLC.
I'm not sure what to believe anymore, but I do know Rex's chances have become very slim.

Treasure Acquired

SKTTR

TheFrenchiestFry wrote:

Honestly if anything I think the final nail in the coffin for Rex was probably when he willingly chose Byleth over Rex, given at the time of their inclusion, Three Houses was still an extremely new game, while Xenoblade 2 had been out for about a year at that point, completely contradicting his claims that he couldn't be added into the game due to time constraints. I think in actuality he just either forgot about Rex or might not even care at all.

Don't forget that ARMS released much earlier than Xeno2 and FE Three Houses, but Min Min was added later.
For me it's not about when games release but how quickly Sakurai can make them work in game. And you know Sakurai played a beta for Three Houses long before its release while he seemingly had no access to early versions of ARMS and Xenoblade 2 during Ultimate's development.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

link3710

Bomberman has a mii costume and it looks perfect! Travis made it into the game too! Also, the Gil costume is back finally, which is nice.

link3710

Snatcher

I cant wait for this I wish it would come sooner but I wee is fine I want it to be at its best.

Blooper987

Steve is great! Sakurai managed to get me to like my least favorite character ever.

Also RIP Travis fans

Switch Friend Code: SW-0772-1845-0995

TheFrenchiestFry

Steve is a literal love letter to Minecraft in like every way

I love how they actually incorporated stuff like the Crafting table and weapon durability without it coming off as pace breaking

TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

@SKTTR Yeah but ARMS and Xeno also shared development periods with Smash based on when this project plan for Ultimate started, so DLC totally opened the door for Rex to be slotted in somewhere especially in the first pass, but Byleth and Min Min were both chosen instead.

TheFrenchiestFry

Grumblevolcano

I still think Rex is likely because we got Min Min (both ARMS and XC2 were games that couldn't appear in Smash Ultimate due to announced too late).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Grumblevolcano

So it seems there are only 5 missing DLC Mii costumes from Wii U/3DS (we're getting Gil back in the Steve wave of Mii Fighter costumes):

• 2 Monster Hunter outfits (Hunter and Rathalos)
  • Chocobo Hat
  • Geno outfit
  • Lloyd outfit

Because of this I'm swapping Fire Emblem character out for Lara Croft in my predictions (Square Enix only seems to have Mii costumes alongside Square Enix fighters), so:

February 2021 - Monster Hunter (promotion for Monster Hunter Rise)
May 2021 - Lara Croft (part of the Tomb Raider 25th anniversary celebrations)
September 2021 - Crash Bandicoot (promotion for Crash Bandicoot 4)
December 2021 - Rex (ending the pass on a very strong note)

Tomb Raider is Square Enix's 3rd biggest franchise after Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest so Lara would make most sense as the next Square Enix character after Cloud and Hero.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

TheFrenchiestFry

@status-204 I mean if Joker, Cloud and Snake can get in despite their incredibly sparse Nintendo appearances I don't think that's much of a factor anymore, nor is the personality argument because Nintendo gets away with having characters with zero personality, in addition to reps in the roster like Joker, Hero, Byleth and Steve.

Tomb Raider is definitely an iconic series and she's easily the poster child for every female protagonist in gaming as a whole. She's also definitely appeared in more than a handful of stuff on Nintendo handhelds in addition to the GameCube, which is a lot more than I can say for Snake's 4 or 5 Nintendo appearances, Cloud appearing in like one Kingdom Hearts spinoff and FFVII being released on a Nintendo system 32 years after its original release, and Joker being the sole playable character in the entire roster whose main series of games isn't playable on any Nintendo hardware.

Also if they pull from the reboot series Lara with some classic elements like her dual guns and acrobatic abilties she can be pretty fun to play as hypothetically speaking

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic