Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Posts 3,701 to 3,720 of 4,507

DarkRula

@Christofu Custom Break the Targets stages would actually be a lot of fun. Rather than selecting characters, though, you'd have to test the stage with that character so the game knows it can be completed with that character, otherwise you'd have plenty of stages just keeping everyone available even if more than half of them can't actually complete the stage.

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

porto

@Bankaj I agree with your list 100%. Byleth would have been a fine character if not for the timing of it all. I don’t play the series anyway so I didn’t care too much for it.

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

TheFrenchiestFry

@Grumblevolcano And that really is unfortunate. To this day, Persona 5 remains the only mainline entry without a portable version, and had the Vita actually done well, I guarantee we probably would've already seen one (despite Atlus' otherwise pretty awesome Vita support)

The Switch is basically the PSP and Vita's collective motives completely realized, and I think porting the PS2 SMT games is a good first step to bring more of the Nintendo playerbase into that franchise ahead of SMTV, but Persona is something that seems a lot less likely given how seemingly important it is to Sony that those games remain tied to PlayStation in most capacities, given Atsushi Morita's comments about the series being a "platform holder" for SIE. It's also kind of evident given how Sony flaunted Persona 5 as one of the major titles coming to PS Plus on PS5 at launch alongside major exclusives or third party games that sold really well on PS4.

Persona 3 FES and Persona 5 Royal on Steam however? I think it's practically inevitable at this point.

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Christofu

@DarkRula yeah I suppose you could do them just for individual characters which would be fun, but I feel like it would be fun to make a list for the stage. Ur right that you should have to test them all, it just could get messy if you wanted to have every character in it lol. It would be like running your mario maker course 70 plus times

Christofu

Dogorilla

I haven't bought any of the DLC yet (except Piranha Plant who I got for free) but here's my ranking just based on how excited I was to see them revealed:

1. Steve - Minecraft is a great and obviously very popular game but I wasn't sure if this would ever happen, so I didn't see it coming at all. He looks really fun to play as and the Zombie and Enderman alts are a nice touch.
2. Piranha Plant - I love when weird side characters who nobody asked for are included in Smash and this is one of the most out-there choices so far.
3. Min Min - Arms was my first Switch game and is still one of my favourites. I would have preferred Dr Coyle but Min Min is cool too.
4. Hero - I'd only played one Dragon Quest game when Hero was announced (I've since played the original as well) but I loved it so this was a nice reveal, and long overdue given how popular and influential the series is. The spell system seems interesting as well. Slime would have been even better though.
5. Banjo - I've never played the games so I have no attachment to the characters, but I can definitely see the appeal of playing as a bear with a bird strapped to his back.
6. Byleth - We didn't really need another FE character but I was just glad that they'd finally announced a Fighter Pass 1 character from a game I'd actually played. They seem like a fairly interesting character to use.
7. Joker - Never played Persona and I thought it was a bit odd that they were adding a character who has very little significance to Nintendo (not for the first time, although Cloud is one of the most famous and beloved gaming characters so his inclusion made slightly more sense). This announcement got my hopes up that they would release Persona 5 on the Switch but nope. Joker seems cool though.
8. Terry - Didn't even know who this was, and his moves don't seem as interesting as most of the other DLC characters. I'm sure he's fun to play as but it wasn't a massively exciting reveal for me, despite the nifty trailer.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

crashcontrol

My rankings
1. Steve
2. Banjo
3. Plant
4. Joker (I love playing as him but don’t play persona)
5. Min Min
6. Terry
7. Byleth (I also love playing as them but hate the fact that they are in the game)

Currently Playing: Genshin Impact, Honkai: Star Rail, and whatever else I feel like playing

Switch Friend Code: SW-7941-0589-4299

Snatcher

@crashcontrol That what I thank about byleth to I love to play as them just don't want them in the game.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Snatcher

My ranking is
1:steve
2:hero
3:banjo and kazooie
4:joker
5:terry
6:min min
7:byleth
My new main is going to be steve.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

Blooper987

I thought I would just say....

Vergeben was right

Switch Friend Code: SW-0772-1845-0995

SKTTR

For a change, I'll count the ones that I don't want in Smash.

1. Dante (Devil May Cry) - Too early. It wasn't until the Switch that his first 3 games were released on Nintendo and they are rather mediocre these days. Dante's newest games, DMC4 and 5, are not available on Nintendo. And the 3 old ports don't sell well on the Switch. As a character his attitude is somewhat ***** which makes him a good candidate for a cheap Playstation Battle Royal All-Stars Smash clone. If another Capcom fighter is coming, it better be someone substantial such as Phoenix Wright, Monster Hunter, or someone from Resident Evil.

2. Crash Bandicoot - Super Mario 3D All-Stars made everyone realise (with Super Mario 64) once again that the Crash Bandicoot games were lousy and, despite the graphics update, have aged really badly. The old Crash games in their remake/trilogy (also available for Switch) feel like the cheapest indie platformers, those with extremely frustrating and uninspiring level designs. Crash Bandicoot is also a character for a second-rate Sony brawler. He should kindly line up behind platformer icons like Conker, Bubble Bobble, Wonder Boy, Dixie Kong, and Rayman, or at least appear in a quality game.

3. Sora (Kingdom Hearts) - Nintendo and Sakurai go to great lengths to represent not just a character but their whole world. Disney characters are a big part of the Kingdom Hearts series and Sora just wouldn't be complete without Mickey, Donald & Co. Since only original game characters are allowed for Smash, Sora would look extremely incomplete without his Disney worlds & friends, so he simpy has no chance anyway. Square Enix has plenty characters that are more iconic or come from better RPGs, like Crono (Chrono Trigger), Randy (Secret of Mana), Ark (Terranigma), Geno (Super Mario RPG), and Taito's Bubble Bobble.

4. Master Chief (Halo) - Apart from Doomguy deserving the first person shooter crown and Halo never having released on a Nintendo, there is also the fact that Nintendo has sensibly chosen Minecraft Steve, so Microsoft has little chance of getting another character in one of the remaining 4 fighter slots.

Edited on by antdickens

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

kkslider5552000

SKTTR wrote:

2. Crash Bandicoot - Super Mario 3D All-Stars made everyone realise (with Super Mario 64) once again that the Crash Bandicoot games were lousy and, despite the graphics update, have aged really badly.

as someone who loves the Ice Climbers, I can't agree with using the quality of a game as any reason for anything tbh

i just want the icon of the ps1 era in my smash bros

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

SKTTR

In regards to Cloud and Joker, they might seem out of place in Smash despite the fact that these characters appeared in Nintendo games (in spin-off titles), but the thing is, they are only the "face" of series that were born on Nintendo consoles and have a long history with Nintendo. Both Final Fantasy and Megami Tensei had all exclusive mainline games as early as the NES and SNES before they shifted to Playstation and then became multiplatform series. In my eyes having Cloud and Joker is no different to having other NES icons such as Snake, Simon, Mega Man, or Hero.

In regards to Terry: Fatal Fury / King of Fighters (and SNK fighters in general) were the only fighting games back then that could take on Street Fighter II in gameplay, quality, and popularity. There was no Mortal Kombat, Tekken, Soul Calibur, or Dead or Alive in 1991. Also, Sakurai was a big fan of it, and without it Super Smash Bros. would not exist. Apart from chronological hierarchy and videogame history, that's just another reason for Terry's inclusion before any other fighting game character. On a side note, there are 40+ Nintendo games released that have Terry in them, from Switch all the way back to the SNES.

Edited on by SKTTR

porto

@SKTTR Most of your points on Crash were faulty. There are plenty of people who enjoy Crash Bandicoot games, myself included. They've aged very well, and the remake made them look even better. I'll take the very well-polished, low-priced N-Sane Trilogy, over 3D All-Stars, which didn't change a single damn thing.

I do and will always respect your opinions so don't take it personally.

porto

SKTTR

Apportal wrote:

@SKTTR Most of your points on Crash were faulty. There are plenty of people who enjoy Crash Bandicoot games, myself included. They've aged very well, and the remake made them look even better. I'll take the very well-polished, low-priced N-Sane Trilogy, over 3D All-Stars, which didn't change a single damn thing.

I do and will always respect your opinions so don't take it personally.

It's fine. It's ok to like Crash. I can respect that. Plenty of people think he's good because they only had a PS1 back then and no access to better platformers. I just played the 3 original Crash games/remakes on Switch and think they are still as rubbish as in 1997, especially now that I've completed Mario 64 again which is still amazing.
I stand by the point that there are at least 6 or 7 other platformer main characters (not yet in Smash) that are part of much better platforming games, so it's natural I would put those before Crash. However, I have only played 4 Crash games, so... maybe missed the good one.

TheFrenchiestFry

@SKTTR Crash's games may not have aged as gracefully as other platformers around at the time like Rayman but I can for sure say the original PS1 trilogy has aged way better than Mario 64 or even most N64 games in general

64 just feels so archaic when paired next to subsequent 3D Mario games, but Crash has such tightly constructed levels and the right amount of difficulty that the only things that feel archaic about its design mentality are the stuff surrounding the level progression, like how you have to rescue Tawna to save the game, or how trial and error the Gem trials are.

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

porto

@SKTTR Yeah, I get ya. We all have our preferences. I would gladly have Rayman or Conker before Crash.

I would take Mario over the marsupial any day, but in terms of early platforming design, I think Crash wins. It was definitely difficult, but nothing too teeth-clenching or gut-sinking. I have a wee bit of nostalgia for it as well since I played those types of games during the "3D" era.

porto

Bankaj

@Northwind Spider-Samus, Spider-Samus, does whatever a Spider-Samus does..

Bankaj

Snatcher

@Northwind I cant wait I think steve will come out at least a day or two maybe a week I could not wait that long.

SKTTR

TheFrenchiestFry wrote:

@SKTTR Crash's games may not have aged as gracefully as other platformers around at the time like Rayman but I can for sure say the original PS1 trilogy has aged way better than Mario 64 or even most N64 games in general

64 just feels so archaic when paired next to subsequent 3D Mario games, but Crash has such tightly constructed levels and the right amount of difficulty that the only things that feel archaic about its design mentality are the stuff surrounding the level progression, like how you have to rescue Tawna to save the game, or how trial and error the Gem trials are.

For me it's the other way around. Crash's stiff digital controls that only have extremely basic physics and animations, his lacking moveset, and the linear and uninspiring stages have more in common with the worst indie platformers nowadays, while Mario 64's precise analog controls, the anbundance of moves with animations and physics that lend to a vast array of combinations, and richness of great ideas and amazing level designs are some of the best even today.

For me Crash's gameplay is exactly like something you'd find in dozens of terrible party game collections where the platforming sections are just one of several other cheaply made minigames.

Super Mario 64 on the other hand, you can't go wrong with it. When you completed Odyssey, Galaxy 1&2, and Sunshine, and need more 3D-Mario greatness, it feels like an extension that is still worth playing.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic