Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Online Subscription Service Thread

Posts 601 to 620 of 2,232

Eel

seems like minecraft doesn't support cloud saves. Which is expected I guess... They want you to pay for realms after all...

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

BenGrimm

Updated my system earlier and tried to pay for the 12 month subscription but kept getting a error message pop up. Will try again tomorrow after work.

BenGrimm

SpaceMonkey86

Yosheel wrote:

seems like minecraft doesn't support cloud saves. Which is expected I guess... They want you to pay for realms after all...

I have Minecraft on other systems but haven't played in a long time. What's realms?

SpaceMonkey86

SpaceMonkey86

Yosheel wrote:

@MilkBone Basically a personal online server you can pay for, share with friends, and access cross-console (mobile, windows 10, switch, xbox one).

Oh, I see. So maybe it's the same deal with Minecraft? Because that has a server supported by Microsoft controlling you save data it's not available on Switch.

SpaceMonkey86

Eel

Yes you can't back up the local minecraft save data, which I guess it is because they don't want you accessing your files on different systems without paying for a realm.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

SpaceMonkey86

@Yosheel Gotcha! So far then it looks like we should be able to back up all games that aren't being controlled by other servers. Minecraft would reach into a grey area there I guess. Makes me feel better anyways about the cloud saves.

SpaceMonkey86

FaeKnight

Of the plethora (I love that word btw) of games I have, only Splatoon 2 doesn't support cloud backup. I have less then zero interest in Fortnite, and don't feel the need to buy Minecraft a second time.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

NEStalgia

@Yosheel IIRC Minecraft on XBox One supports their cloud saves for the local data, so it may just be a temporary delay in supporting it on Switch until they fix the other missing issues about not being able to use the dedicated server.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@MilkBone Splatoon so far seems to be the only outlier that does not store server-side profile data, but does not allow cloud saves. Splatoon should have stored ranks and gear server-side from day 1 like most other online games, so that's a pretty core flaw of Splatoon, however, fortunately, what looked like an overall Nintendo fail is apparently just a Splatoon dev team fail, while the rest of Nintendo seems to have had their act together more for online games (Kart, ARMS, Smash, Tennis seem to all be fine.) So boo Splatoon team, they're holding the bag on this one.

NEStalgia

FaeKnight

MilkBone wrote:

@FaeKnight That is a nice word! And correct usage of it too.

Thank you, I try to fit it into conversations when appropriate. But that's not an easy thing to do with some of the oddball words like "plethora".

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

@NEStalgia Mario Tennis Aces is the most notable example, when you load up the tournament after downloading the 2.0.0 update you have to store your stats on the server before you're able to play.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

SpaceMonkey86

NEStalgia wrote:

@MilkBone Splatoon so far seems to be the only outlier that does not store server-side profile data, but does not allow cloud saves. Splatoon should have stored ranks and gear server-side from day 1 like most other online games, so that's a pretty core flaw of Splatoon, however, fortunately, what looked like an overall Nintendo fail is apparently just a Splatoon dev team fail, while the rest of Nintendo seems to have had their act together more for online games (Kart, ARMS, Smash, Tennis seem to all be fine.) So boo Splatoon team, they're holding the bag on this one.

Wait, I don’t follow. So let’s say my Switch dies and I buy a new one. Shouldn’t my rank, gear and in game currency all be stored in Splatoon’s servers? So when I log in on the new Switch all my stuff should be there, right? Only things that may not is what gear is currently set and any other little settings. Or am I understanding that wrong?

SpaceMonkey86

Quarth

@NEStalgia Thanks! We tried the family subscription and it works!

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

Grumblevolcano

@MilkBone If your Switch dies and you buy a new one, when you load up Splatoon 2 it will be as if you had never played it before. Level 1 and no ranks for Ranked Battle or Salmon Run, locked to turf war only until you reach level 10, all your gear and weapons reset to how it was when you first started playing, any progress with single player gone, etc.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano That actually gives me hope that the Splatoon team will follow suit, they'll simply do so at whatever snails pace pleases them. I can live with that. Especially now that there's internal examples of doing it right.

@MilkBone Right now Splatoon is the only online game I'm aware of that neither allows cloud saves nor saves player data online. It's all local on your hardware and you have no means of backing it up, because if they let you back it up you could "scum" your rank by rolling back old saves (which people did religiously on WiiU, and defended it as completely fair and honest because the hardware lets them do it and Nintendo provided the feature! (People will justify near anything))

So not allowing backups and cloud saves for Splatoon 2 is the right thing to do to prevent cheating. However the big fail is: You lose your Switch, you lose your rank and gear and start at 1.

What Splatoon should do is store the player data on servers. Like Fortnite, Minecraft, and Apparently Mario Tennis Aces. Right now it does not do that. Logging in on another Switch will start you with a blank slate, no saved data, no rank, no level, no gear, no money. And there is no way to save that data outside your Switch.

That's a big giant Splatoon fail, no hiding that. BUT the good news is 24 hours ago we believed that represented a larger Nintendo fail/Switch fail/Nintendo Switch Online fail. What we're relieved to have learned is that's apparently just a Splatoon fail, and the Splatoon team owns that fail alone.

NEStalgia

SpaceMonkey86

@Grumblevolcano @ NEStalgia. WOE! Thanks for the heads-up/info! That’s insane. Yes, giant epic fail on Spatoon’s fault. I mean, server side saved date for online games is nothing new. Destiny, Star Wars Battlefront, Fortnite just to name a few that I play/played. I’m sure there’s tons of other games that do it too. DCUO I believe. Crazy

SpaceMonkey86

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic