Forums

Topic: Paper Mario: The Origami King

Posts 101 to 120 of 637

BruceCM

Well, I just finished FFXIII & I liked it a lot, @Tyranexx .... If the complaints you heard were about it being linear, that's true but FFX is the same way & that doesn't get so much aggro for it What were they saying about FFVIII? There's several here who seem to like that, so they can help with the complicated bits

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

DenDen

@BruceCM FFXIII is an awesome game, never understood why so many people didnt like it.
Nice story much lore and complex battle system.

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

BruceCM

Yeah, I'm not too sure, either, @DenDen .... OK, it's linear but that shouldn't be a major issue, when it isn't for FFX I liked Lightning, so if they strangely didn't, that might help explain their problems?

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Zeldafan79

I thought FF XIII was hated on way more than it deserved. The music was great, Snow was pretty cool (pun intended) and graphically being the first FF on PS3 it had to have blown people away back then! I do feel it probably would have been better off not being a trilogy. I heard many people were confused and even annoyed at that one. Linear isn't so bad. If there's one thing i hate in RPG's it's not knowing where the hell I'm supposed to go and being forced to look online for the answer.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

OptometristLime

JaxonH wrote:

Oh we’re going hard on Xenoblade. It’s gonna be a NintendoLife marathon as we absolute smash those playtimes. We’ll have 7 weeks. That’s exactly enough for a full playthrough, Future Connected, and a week or two to dabble in XCOM 2, Borderlands, Bioshock, Clubhouse, Outer Worlds, Catherine, Burnout Paradise, unfortunately Trails of Cold Steel III is a long JRPG and there’s no way that one can squeeze in between. So I’ll probably put that one on hold until after Paper Mario. Or, I’ll play what I can before TOK and pick it back up afterwards.

They're just games dawg, no reason to go so hard.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

JoeDiddley

I’ve only dabbled in a bit of the Wii Paper Mario game and I wasn’t into RPGs back then so I am interested in how this one pans out.

Maybe not enough to pre order as the series seems from what I hear to have highs and lows, but that may change as the release nears. Especially as it comes out around my birthday.

Edited on by JoeDiddley

Switch: SW-2923-8106-2126
Steam ID: joediddley
https://myanimelist.net/profile/JoeDiddley

Maxz

Another things that sticks with me about TTYD is just how fantastically... uniquely weird a lot of the music is. Like, the Rougeport Theme, which should by all rights be just ‘generic town music’, gives off a vibe unlike any piece of music I’ve ever heard in any context. The composers, storytellers, writers, designers, just all went off on one and followed the game away of its own incessantly oddball path.

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

JaxonH

@OptometristLime
Nonsense, dawg

Having a great time with great games is plenty reason enough.

Come May 29th it's binge-season.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Tyranexx

Did anyone else like the dark undertones (Well, for a Mario game) in the trailer? I like this version of Peach.

@BruceCM Most of the complaints I've seen about XIII do concern the linearity. Personally, I wonder why they even split the game up into parts...other than capitalism. XD

For VIII, the biggest complaints I've run across are the Junction and Draw systems, as well as bland characters.

Again, not saying I've written these off, they just aren't a huge priority.

...We probably should stop derailing this thread into Final Fantasy territory. XD

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Grumblevolcano

@Tyranexx I kind of miss when made up units were used over real units (blocks instead of the bytes system, points instead of regional currency, etc.). Especially miss the days of points being the currency for Wii and Xbox/Xbox 360 though part of that is due to no modern system handling gifting well. Nintendo just ditched gifting games after Wii and Microsoft's gifting system on XB1 is region locked.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Arbor

never played a paper mario game but am hyped for this one!

Arbor

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature That might be partially why I loved it so much. Plus, I'm normally not a huge fan of Peach in normal circumstances.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't be against the existence of WaPeach.

@Grumblevolcano I think part of it in my case, besides the consistency used elsewhere in the industry, is that bytes are something I'm very used to in my profession as well. Not that there was anything wrong with the more unique point systems out there - they worked - it's just that my brain then has to convert them to numbers it's more comfortable with. Mostly a preference thing.

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

OptometristLime

Maxz wrote:

Another things that sticks with me about TTYD is just how fantastically... uniquely weird a lot of the music is. Like, the Rougeport Theme, which should by all rights be just ‘generic town music’, gives off a vibe unlike any piece of music I’ve ever heard in any context. The composers, storytellers, writers, designers, just all went off on one and followed the game away of its own incessantly oddball path.

Rogueport definitely has a mysterious bandit hide-out vibe to it, which is excellent for what's intended to be a central hub. Makes me think of some of the far flung planets throughout the Star Wars saga.

Tastes may vary, but I rather like this bumpy energetic take on the anthem:

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

JaxonH

I like the writing. It's just hilarious

Untitled

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

DenDen

@JaxonH yeah it has some amazing writing hahah.
Super paper Mario has it also

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

toiletduck

So is any one of the 3DS Paper Mario's anything like Super Paper Mario? That's the only one I've played (and loved) so far.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

EOTW

@toiletduck well there is only one paper mario on the 3ds, and that is Sticker Star. So the answer is a resounding no. If you want another good paper mario game I would recommend TTYD or the original, but those are harder to get ahold of than the newer ones. You won't find any that are like SPM in terms of gameplay, that one is wholly unique. But if you want another great adventure and engaging story/writing, The Thousand Year Door is the way to go.

3DS FC: 3222-5568-3578
NNID: EOTW93
NX HYPE

EOTW

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say I'm cautiously pessimistic about Origami King. Some people are saying this looks like a return to form, but all I see so far looks like another game building off of Sticker Star with some concessions built in due to the backlash. That just doesn't excite me. Interesting new characters, worlds, and story do, and I don't see that yet. I would love to be wrong though. If this turns out to be a great unique entry in the series like SPM I'd be ecstatic, I just don't see that happening. I think it may improve on Color Splash, but that really isn't saying much.

3DS FC: 3222-5568-3578
NNID: EOTW93
NX HYPE

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic