Forums

Topic: Final Fantasy VII, IX, X, X-2 and XII - Now with 80% more FF VIII

Posts 1,201 to 1,220 of 1,768

NintendoByNature

@Ralizah sadly, as much as im enjoying this, I wont be able to enjoy the remake. I actually traded in my ps4 last year. I just wasn't playing it anymore. Here's hoping the remake comes to switch eventually.

NintendoByNature

BruceCM

That'd be awesome, @NintendoByNature .... Not sure what the chances will be, though! It will come to XBox One at some point, though, if that helps?

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

NintendoByNature

@BruceCM yea I'm a switch only guy unfortunately( or fortunately depending on how you look at itπŸ˜‹).

NintendoByNature

BruceCM

Fingers crossed it Switches, eventually, then, @NintendoByNature .... Wouldn't get your hopes up too high but SE support Switch well, so if they can do it, they will

SW-4357-9287-0699

rallydefault

Not to be a bummer, but I really can't see it running on Switch. I know we've said that for other stuff, and there is DOOM Eternal so.... maybe. Seems like it would be tough.

That being said, I actually HATE the combat in the remake. Like... enough to maybe not buy it.

rallydefault

NintendoByNature

@BruceCM yea exactly. Not holding my breath. And i wouldn't go out of my way to buy ps4 again for it. So if it doesn't come to switch, and i don't have a ps4 fall into my lap again, I probably won't play it.

NintendoByNature

BruceCM

Yeah, I'm in any case waiting until the last part is scheduled to pick them up for XBox, @NintendoByNature .... There's more than enough games to keep me going until then & I certainly wouldn't buy a console just for that set

SW-4357-9287-0699

rallydefault

@NintendoByNature
Oh, it does look slick. It's a seriously beautiful game. But in actuality the combat was super frustrating for me. It felt especially clunky switching between characters in the heat of battle, trying to select special move/spells/whatever as enemies were bashing on me. Dodging didn't feel as natural as it does in games made from the ground up to be action combat. In games like that, you typically have all your specials and spells bound to trigger buttons and trigger combos, but this adds extra layers you need to navigate.

To me it felt like Square tried to shove action combat onto the skeleton of old-schools menus to give a nod to the game's roots. I'm sure after some hours with the game it will start to make more sense, as it always does no matter how horrendous a game's controls, but I was sorely disappointed. I knew exactly what I wanted to do in the boss fight at the end of the demo, but it was like the battle controls fought me every step of the way.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

NintendoByNature

@rallydefault yea that's unfortunate to hear. I also get a little frustrated with cumbersome controls. Maybe you'll get used to it like you said. Usually at the beginning of most games, I tend to struggle for the first couple of hours, current example is Owlboy. It takes some time getting used to the controls, and if you take a good break from it and play something else, controls can be even harder to recall.

NintendoByNature

rallydefault

@DarthNocturnal
It does, yea. It is listed in the demo, so I'm giving that mode a try later tonight, actually (as long as the demo lets me). That very well may ease some of my frustrations.

Like I said, I'm still getting it - I mean, how could I not? It's gonna be one of the biggest releases this generation no matter what, and from playing the demo you can tell they've put A LOT of time into this. It just oozes polish from the cinematics to the objects to the sounds to... pretty much everything except for the action combat (in my opinion lol).

To be very clear, Cloud's combat feels waaaaaaaay better than Barret's. Cloud's sword strikes have weight to them and it's easy to tell when you've registered hits. Barret's gun is wonky. Its gattling-style mode doesn't really give any feedback in terms of hit/damage (you can always see numbers), and then his big charged shot has a slippery way of "reloading." And when you switch between Cloud and Barret, it's super easy to forget whether Barrett's charged shot is loaded or not, so many times I was hammering the fire button and getting the charge animation when I was expecting to just shoot.

rallydefault

Anti-Matter

@Quarth
Important thing.
Before you fight with some bosses, check their Magics to draw.
If you see a GF name, immediately draw the GF first. The GF will be disappeared FOREVER if you forget to Draw them and the Boss has been beaten.
The missable GF you should pay attention:
Siren, Leviathan, Carbuncle, Alexander, Pandemona, Eden.

Anti-Matter

rallydefault

Ok, so in my opinion, Classic battle mode is WAAAAAY better and addresses most of my issues with the FF7 Remake. You can tell it's quite obviously not the way the devs want you to play the game, but it eliminates a lot of the confusion/difficulty I was having with the "action" combat and switching between characters and dialing up special attacks quickly.

In classic, your character just auto attacks while you can wait for the ATB gauge to fill and issue specific ability/item/spell/limit commands, just like in the original games. It makes the auto attacks look and feel like the filler I think they should be (just my opinion), but in the normal action mode the auto attacks are a crucial ball to juggle amongst menu-selectable actions that I felt was just too clunky when combined.

Still excited for the release. I would totally get it on my new PC I'm building, but I guess that won't be out for at least a year. I may re-buy it at that point if the graphics options on PC allow for even more awesomeness, because it already looks slick on normal PS4.

rallydefault

Quarth

Quarth wrote:

So FFVIII. I'm 10 hours in...

Will the story pick up pace now that the sorceress has taken over? I still don't really get what the game's about, but there seems to be some kind of parallell universe thing going on...?

I still haven't grasped the battle system. Right now I'm using the GF's which one-shots most enemies. Even the bosses goes down after a couple of hits. What's up with that? Am I playing it wrong?

Quistis is supposed to be smart huh? Then why did she decide to go apologize to Rinoa when they were in the middle of an important mission? Stupid...

Other than that, I'm kinda enjoying the game.

I'm beginning to get a grasp on the Junction system now. Seems going the "spam GF" route isn't sustainable in the long run, so I better learn how to take advantage of the system.

Right now I'm stuck in a boss fight against Fujin and Raijin, where the former is fast as hell and takes out my team quickly. Need a strategy.

The story is kinda weird and sometimes clumsily told. Don't know where it's going. But it has me interested.

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

BruceCM

Did you draw from Fujin, @Quarth .... ? That'll stop him using magic, as well! Cast protect on everyone & both are weak to bio, if you have that Oh, after drawing from Fujin, kill Rajin 1st, BTW

SW-4357-9287-0699

Quarth

@BruceCM Does it matter what I draw?

BruceCM

Pandemona is the main thing, @Quarth ....

SW-4357-9287-0699

Quarth

@BruceCM Thanks! Will try!

Edit: It worked! πŸ‘

Edited on by Quarth

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic