Forums

Topic: DOOM

Posts 561 to 580 of 1,213

JasmineDragon

@Shellcore Actually this happens in all media. It's been happening with books since the invention of the printing press. Right now I could find you assorted editions of Bram Stoker's Dracula ranging from a free barebones e-book, to paperback for $4.95, all the way up a 1996 edition illustrated by Edward Gorey that can cost up to $78 in good shape. You pay for the edition you want. If you think $78 is too much to pay for Dracula, by all means buy a cheap paperback or even a free e-book. Nobody's forcing you to buy the Edward Gorey edition.

The same thing happens with music. A music company will do a new edition of the Jimi Hendrix album Are You Experienced? and charge $13.99 for it. A year later the album will be less than $10 everywhere, used copies will be going for a couple of bucks, and a year after that there will be a new edition, same music, same recording, same everything except for new cover art, and it will cost $13.99 again. Want the same exact album on vinyl? $28 please. Want MP3s instead? $9.99.

You know what you WON'T get? A music publisher saying "you know what, this music is old, we should probably only charge a buck for the new edition." I mean, there are new editions of blues recordings from 80-90 years ago coming out all the time at full price. Same thing with classical music.

People can and do vote with their wallets. I'm not going to lie, $60 is a lot of money for me, and I weigh the pros and cons of every game I buy. I could get Doom on PC for a fraction of the price - I'm pretty sure my computer can run it. Or I could wait a while and find it secondhand somewhere for at least $10 cheaper. But I want it on Switch, and I want it now-ish while my hype level is high. I'm willing to pay $60 for that if I have to.

Skyrim Special Edition was priced at $59 on XBox and Playstation when it launched last year. It was new, it was shiny, and it was priced the same as a new game. For a while. Now it's new and shiny on Switch, and it costs.... $59. Again.

Edited on by JasmineDragon

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

Shellcore

@Nintendoforlife I guess that is where I was trying to get to in my comment. Not an attack on the viewpoint of others, but a sensible discussion on where that line should be drawn. Thank you for your thoughts. I do not want to take away from the fact that Doom is a fantastic game which I have previously enjoyed.

Shellcore

@JasmineDragon Thank you for your thoughts. You obviously put a lot of time into your comment. I agree to a point. I feel that the Switch version is the DVD release of a previously released Blu Ray. You don't usually see the DVD version going for more, especially when its a year late to the party (Doom) or a lot longer (Skyrim). If the price doesn't perturb you, then that is good. However, it does for me. Hope you enjoy Doom! : )

JasmineDragon

@Shellcore That was an unexpectedly reasonable response. Thank you for that.

And here's hoping the game lives up to its price tag.

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

Ralizah

@subpopz Good comparison, as it captures the trade-off: presentation quality for versatility. If you care more about presentation quality, you'll get the stationary versions. If you care more about versatility, you'll get the hybrid version.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

gildahl

Hehe. As an old fogey just here to provide some perspective, I recall purchasing AtariSoft's Galaxian for the Colecovision (c. 1983) for $49.95 (My brother and I later bought Defender and Centipede for the same price). Quickly looking up the cumulative U.S. inflation rate since that time, $49.95 would be about $120.00 in today's money. So a $59.99 AAA Switch game today is about half the (adjusted) price of a AAA title 35 years ago. And that's for property that had already been in the arcades and on other systems for a few years prior. So nothing new here. Price is what the market will bear. Has always been that way and probably always will be that way.

Edited on by gildahl

gildahl

DTMOF84

Are people really still complaining about the price of this game? Act like the developers owe you something and should sell it cheaper.

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
β˜•οΈ
🀘🏻

MsJubilee

@DTMOF84 It's a 1 year old game with a missing mode that's being sold for 60 bones. What do you expect people to do? Sit down and take it?

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

DTMOF84

@MsJubilee it also includes the dlc offered for it. It was ported to a new system with added developement costs. I really don’t see people complaining about the price of Skyrim. So yeah sit down and take it. If Doom costs too much then so did Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Pokken Tournament.

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
β˜•οΈ
🀘🏻

MsJubilee

@DTMOF84 First of all. Pokken and MK8DX isn't missing a mode. Do you know that? Second. Doom is missing a mode. The map editor. Did you know that? Third. Skyrim comes with everything! It ain't missing a mode like Doom. So i can see why people are complaining. And i don't know why you're telling your fellow switch owners to " Yeah sit down and take it".

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

Haruki_NLI

So was Snapmap used? Id love to see the usage rates on that. At the same time though, that's editing entire levels so...imagine the RAM usage and storage space that'd eat.

But hey, everything I just said is probably wrong and invalid and people will harshly tell me so until I recede back under my rock for a few days before daring to venture out again.

Edited on by Haruki_NLI

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

DTMOF84

MsJubilee wrote:

@DTMOF84 First of all. Pokken and MK8DX isn't missing a mode. Do you know that? Second. Doom is missing a mode. The map editor. Did you know that? Third. Skyrim comes with everything! It ain't missing a mode like Doom. So i can see why people are complaining. And i don't know why you're telling your fellow switch owners to " Yeah sit down and take it".

So it’s missing a mode, but yet includes everything else not included if you bought it a year ago. Have a seat.

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
β˜•οΈ
🀘🏻

Haruki_NLI

@MsJubilee

Strap on some diapers, you are in for the ride of your life.

Lethal

DTMOF84 wrote:

Are people really still complaining about the price of this game? Act like the developers owe you something and should sell it cheaper.

Really? Missing a mode, game is $20 brand new on the PS4. Switch version is $60........

Yep, no clue as to what people would complain.

Personally I think the game is only worth about $30 tops on any system. The game was so incredibly repetitive until you reached a boss. I felt like I was just entering a room and shooting crap. Rinse and repeat. It reminded me of Painkiller on the PC.

Edited on by Lethal

Switch Friend Code - SW-1147-4867-6886

Tibob

@Lethal
Yep. Not as appealing as Wolfenstein II, for sure. I might try it out second hand when it's like half price.

Tibob

Ralizah

Lethal wrote:

game is $20 brand new on the PS4. Switch version is $60........

The PS4 and Switch versions will have both launched at the same price.

The price of an old version of the game on a different system is irrelevant.

Lethal wrote:

I felt like I was just entering a room and shooting crap.

It's a first person shooter. Shooting stuff is what you're supposed to do.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

MsJubilee

@DTMOF84 Except one mode it's missing. The snapmap mode. Which included in all the other versions,at launch. Is that too hard to understand? Also the DLC was for Multiplayer. Who bought Doom for the multiplayer? Also what were the things people liked about Doom? Oh yeah the snapmap editor and the single player.

@MsJubilee No need to insult other users - Octane

Edited on by Octane

Lethal

Ralizah wrote:

Lethal wrote:

game is $20 brand new on the PS4. Switch version is $60........

The PS4 and Switch versions will have both launched at the same price.

The price of an old version of the game on a different system is irrelevant.

Lethal wrote:

I felt like I was just entering a room and shooting crap.

It's a first person shooter. Shooting stuff is what you're supposed to do.

1. Don't agree with you.

2. And there are many fps games that do it better.... Doom 3 was their best game.

Edited on by Lethal

Switch Friend Code - SW-1147-4867-6886

Haruki_NLI

@MsJubilee Well someone doesnt have a sense of humour. First time Ive been called that I admit.

DTMOF84

@BLP_Software I'm sure your feelings are shattered now hahahaha

@MsJubilee did you say its missing a mode?

@Ralizah thats the point I've been trying to make. The game is out on a new system that they had to work at porting over to the Switch. Its not like there isn't any time and money spent on that.

I've never played the game yet, but I can guarantee that the people that use the Snap Map is far less than those that actually played just the multiplayer. Not everyone wants to edit maps and all that comes with it.

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
β˜•οΈ
🀘🏻

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic