Forums

Topic: DOOM

Posts 541 to 560 of 1,213

JaxonH

@Agriculture
It doesn't matter. Anyone who wanted to play this game on the cheap has had every opportunity to do so.

People aren't going to suddenly not buy the Switch version just because it's cheap elsewhere. It's been cheap elsewhere, for some time now.

People want the Switch version either because A they don't have another console and this is their first opportunity to play it, or B they want the portability. Many people in category B will likely have already bought the game. Or, maybe it didn't appeal enough to them as a console only game, but the hybrid functionality is enough to sway them.

Point being, the group of gamers who only care about playing a game for the cheapest amount possible aren't who this is targeting.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Agriculture

JaxonH wrote:

@Agriculture
It doesn't matter. Anyone who wanted to play this game on the cheap has had every opportunity to do so.

People aren't going to suddenly not buy the Switch version just because it's cheap elsewhere. It's been cheap elsewhere, for some time now.

People want the Switch version either because A they don't have another console and this is their first opportunity to play it, or B they want the portability. Many people in category B will likely have already bought the game. Or, maybe it didn't appeal enough to them as a console only game, but the hybrid functionality is enough to sway them.

Point being, the group of gamers who only care about playing a game for the cheapest amount possible aren't who this is targeting.

Of course price matters, especially for the average consumer. It's also not about "only caring about the cheapest price possible". It's about how consumers have come to expect sales on games after a while. Hopefully those kinds of discounts will come to the Nintendo E-shop after a while. I want to build my game collection on the Switch now because it's portable, but I can't do it if every game remains full price. I don't think it will either, it's just that they need to recuperate the cost of porting the game to the Switch by initially sell it for a high price.

Agriculture

jump

QwertyQwerty wrote:

Might get it when it drops in price a bit tbh, £50 plus the huge download seems a bit overkill

I've got mine pre-ordered for £35.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

DTMOF84

@JaxonH I wasn’t too interested in the game until I saw it coming out for Switch. I even just borrowed the Xbox One version from a friend two weeks ago. But as soon as I got it they announced the November 10 release date and I haven’t wanted to play it until I get it on Switch.

🇺🇸
☕️
🤘🏻

Micky491

@jump where abouts you ordered it from ?

Micky491

Grumblevolcano

@SLIGEACH_EIRE That's more up to the site/retailer though. The RRP for Super Mario Odyssey is £50, the same as the vast majority of Switch physical games but some decide to price certain games lower to attract more people to buy from that place.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

zitpig

jump wrote:

I've got mine pre-ordered for £35.

From where?

Agriculture wrote:

Where I live (Sweden) they now sell Doom 2016 for 10 dollars on the Playstation Store. This must be deliberate to hurt Switch sales. According to this link, Sony has the final say in what price a game will have on the Playstation Store: https://www.videogamer.com/news/ubisoft-explains-how-digital-...

It's physically available for £9.00 from The Game Collection (UK, obviously) - it's not just a Sony thing - https://www.thegamecollection.net/doom-ps4/

I do actually own the PS4 version, but still want the Switch version.

Edited on by zitpig

zitpig

KryptoniteKrunch

Yeah, not too fussed about the price. It kinda sucks, but then again, full priced/close to full priced ports is nothing new. Like, when Re4 was ported to the PS2, the Cube version was cheaper. So was the Xb1 version of Rise of the Tomb Raider when the PS4 version came out etc. etc. At least with the Switch, we get a very nice perk in portability.

KryptoniteKrunch

Nintendo Network ID: KryptoniteKrunch

kobashi100

KryptoKrunch wrote:

Yeah, not too fussed about the price. It kinda sucks, but then again, full priced/close to full priced ports is nothing new. Like, when Re4 was ported to the PS2, the Cube version was cheaper. So was the Xb1 version of Rise of the Tomb Raider when the PS4 version came out etc. etc. At least with the Switch, we get a very nice perk in portability.

It's always been this way with publishers. Find it strange that all of sudden switch titles should be different.

kobashi100

JasmineDragon

kobashi100 wrote:

KryptoKrunch wrote:

It's always been this way with publishers. Find it strange that all of sudden switch titles should be different.

Yeah, this mentality is everywhere, along with "they should give me this game for free because I already bought it on WiiU" for things like MK8. Guess what, guys, no publisher in human history has ever worked like that.

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

TuVictus

Microsoft literally did that for Xbox 360 titles on the xbox one market place. And I think now even xbox games last week?

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

Shellcore

@JasmineDragon As long as publishers have people gullible enough to buy them, then they wont change. Its funny how gaming seems to be one of the only industries where value for the consumer is actively railed against by consumers themselves.

This issue with Doom is that it is a quarter of the price on other platforms. The common protectionist argument against this is that it is a new release to Switch and people may not have any other console. So, with that in mind, should the Neo Geo ports cost between $100-300 dollars like they were at release just because most people don't own the original console? Where do we draw that line with the six year old Skyrim charging full new release price on Switch?

I'm all good for having a nice debate on this issue, but it seems impossible with people backing blue chip companies because they chose a side. It's weird.

Nintendoforlife

@Shellcore You're not taking into account why they lowered the price on other consoles. The price change didn't come from the goodness of their heart, they realized they sold all they could at that price. So in order to squeeze out a couple extra copies sold, they lowered the price. On the switch, however, the party is just starting and they know they can get decent sales at any price they want.

Nintendoforlife

Octane

Here's a bit of irony, DOOM VFR actually support motion controls on the PS4! It's PSVR game, I know, but it's interesting nonetheless

Octane

JaxonH

@Octane
On that note, unfortunately to use motion you need Move Controllers, which don't have analog.

So either smooth movement via analog and no motion, or motion but with rotating and teleporting.

It sucks. Even the Wiimote would have been capable of smooth analog movement and motion aiming.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Nintendoforlife

Shellcore wrote:

@Nintendoforlife I appreciate that and addressed it in my comment as the standard response.

Ahh, you did I probably should have read that more thoroughly. My position on this issue games such as DOOM which have been out a year or two should be able to charge full price on new consoles. I personally think 60 bucks for a game such as Skyrim, however, is crossing a line. There is a certain point where the value of a game is lessened beyond repair as it ages.

Nintendoforlife

JaxonH

@Octane
Holy crap, you're right! I even have that controller. For some reason I was thinking it was only compatible with Farpoint, but come to think of it, it just registers as a controller

Dude, thank you. You just saved DOOM VFR for me. Still doesn't solve Skyrim but, at least the motion in that game is less involved

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic