Forums

Topic: Arcade SHMUP High Score Thread

Posts 3,221 to 3,240 of 3,426

Moroboshi876

@Tatanak Wow. In my circles people always said the E course is the most difficult, going from A to E. I understand we're talking about New mode, which is the second that appeared in Japan and the only that Westerners had. Old mode means another order for the stages, as you most certainly already know.

For me it depends on the stage. Some of them I really hate, like the one with the flowers, which is deceitfully hard because it seems that there aren't many hazards, but you can't actually run too fast. And the desert / dusty one warns you with long curves that aren't actually long and don't require you to slow down. I find the 4th stage of any course the hardest, and the 5th actually lets you even crash without too much danger for your goal, because it's shorter.

Switch code: SW-2291-6286-4620

Nintendo 3DS code: 2879-0476-7598

My Nintendo: Toni | Twitter:

Corneel

Had an ok run in Out Run yesterday. It's a bit difficult to avoid all the traffic, but I'll definitely be spending some more time with this game during the challenge. Route E seems to be the one for me.
Untitled

Wild Guns still stuck in the mine level. These guys that are popping up in the mine carts are the worst. Still al lot of room for improvement for this game and I really want to finish it during the challenge.
Untitled

And also did a couple of runs for Thunder Force IV this morning. After the initial shock of not being able to complete a single level, something just clicked and I was able to breeze through the first four levels without much trouble or even using a continue. Level five is a bit more difficult, but that is mainly due to the first part where you need to dodge the bullets, but the are also moving vertically because of the extended vertical playfield. That complete messes my dodging up.
Untitled

Edited on by Corneel

Moroboshi876

@Corneel Out Run needs memorization too, especially about where to stop pressing gas or switch gear, and traffic is about reflexes really. That being said, in the arcade version I've only been able to finish course A. And in 3DS version only, if that really can be considered arcade.

I thought you were a master of shmups, and you probably are. It surprises me seeing you talk about Thunder Force IV as if it was difficult to you. It is to me, but I'm a noob in shmups and trust my reflexes only.

By the way, are the iScored designs yours? Did you have to tweak things CSS level? I'm considering creating one with friends, but the payment part holds me back.

Edited on by Moroboshi876

Corneel

@Moroboshi876 You are right about Out Run with it requiring some memorization with the corners. Maybe that's why sticking to one route seems to be helping me a lot.

Also, I am most definitely not a master of shmups. (That's @GFoyle @Tatanak and others.) I have always had an interest in these type of games and arcade games in general, but only started playing them seriously since last year after @OorWullie put together these arcade challenges we are doing. Heck, I had never even heard of Psikyo until last year.
It did help me a lot with simple stuff like knowing what to look at and what to ignore. But for most of these games it is really how much effort you are willing to put into it. With every run you learn new things, patterns, enemy location, power ups. etc. It's all about perseverance.

The iScored designs are not mine. You can browse for pre-made designs designed by the community (mostly pinball tables). Usually I pick a design that I like, and tweak that for the game we are running. Like with Out Run it was a pinball racing themed table. Just put the Out Run logo and background in and it was done. There is some tweaking with CSS also to make sure the scores fit in the box. But that is all really easy. Within 5 minutes you are set. If needed I can help you out with sharing some designs you can than select on iScored. This is how the setup looks:
Untitled

And adding scores is the easiest thing ever:
Untitled

The payment was holding me back also, but for me it's worth it.

Edited on by Corneel

Moroboshi876

@corneel Impressive, really! I've asked my friends, I don't want to pay for it alone LOL

As for the arcade challenges, I wasn't an arcade going kid myself. I regret it. So now I'm trying to catch up as much as I can alongside playing modern games.

I have yet to develop the patience required by these games with no checkpoints or saving system whatsoever, trial and error and repeat from the very beginning every time. Yes, I know the modern releases allow it, but I don't want to use it. I try to replicate the arcade experience I never had as much as I can.

Lroy

@corneel Had no idea it was costing you coins out of your own pocket not too mention all the time you invest in organising all this for us. Genuinely think you need to let us contribute to the overheads no matter how small.

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 | 🚀
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

Lroy

@Moroboshi876 Come join in the Pinball challenges as well 😜

Moroboshi876

@Lroy Let me buy the flip grip first 😜

By the way, those of you Europeans who have it how long did it take to arrive?

EDIT: Just bought it.

Lroy

@Corneel Happy to fund an eShop voucher?

Lroy

@Moroboshi876 Oh nice! I’ve already got two different stands (one horizontal, one vertical) for my Switch but can see the appeal of the FlipGrip. Hope you get a lot of use from it.

Moroboshi876

@Lroy Well, I've always been reluctant to buy accessories and additional controllers for my consoles, and tate mode was something I wasn't really interested in, especially because most of the time I use the Switch as a portable, but being able to play vertically on the go, all in my hands, for less than 16 euros shipping included and after seeing an unboxing and the quality of it all... I had to own it.

Lroy

@Moroboshi876 I'm very close to ordering one myself, lol!

Corneel

After playing some more Thunder Force IV, I have to say I'm absolutely falling in love with this game. It controls beautiful, has a nice difficulty level that is not too frustrating and the soundtrack... heavenly.

Right now I'm at stage 8 in this weird room with a lot of bad guys and I have no clue how to get out of there alive. Maybe I just need the correct power-up at this point. Stage 5 is the one that is causing me the most trouble however. The part with you hovering above the enemy ship basically requires you to have the mines or something to get through there alive. If you only have the default guns, that bit is hell. With the other guns, it's a breeze.

Untitled

Moroboshi876

@Corneel You almost got it! And if we can use all 6 continues we should be able to get far. Right?

Moroboshi876

@Corneel I hope that too. I've been told it's a more than usually difficult shmup.

Moroboshi876

Guys, I won't be able to participate in Thunder Force IV challenge.

My left joy-con has the drifting problem, it goes up without touching it, but strangely with Sega Ages games only. Last Summer it happened with Zelda and I sent it to the customer service, and it returned working OK, but now it happens again with these games. It turns menu browsing into a headache, but I can play Out Run because it doesn't affect gameplay (I have a hard time choosing the song though), but in Thunder Force IV it keeps moving the ship upwards and it's unplayable.

I tried the cleaning with cotton trick, but it hasn't solved the problem. So if I can't fix it before the end of the challenge period I won't be able to participate with this particular game.

bushidosnail

Hey guys! Not sure why google didn't notify me when you tagged me, but glad to see this is started back up. Edit: Figured out what the deal is with the new format. Looking forward to high scoring again with you guys! I'll start with the Outrun and Aqua Kitty games for now, and perhaps add Thunder Force later on. Bummed I missed out on Pacman!

Edited on by bushidosnail

Switch Profile name - bushido

Switch Friend Code: SW-7472-3544-3419

Lroy

@bushidosnail Did you ask about the Pinball tourneys? Got an email notification but you may of edited your post. Anyhow, we’ve got a dedicated thread for both these arcade challenges and the pinball competitors over on the Adult Switch Gamers Discord. See @naviandmii forum signature for the link.

Otherwise, just go to PINBALL FX 3 and search tournaments played by friends and you should find us. The active table right now and for the next few days is ADVENTURE LAND. @corneel picked and created this one, so if you have him added, you can even filter active tournaments to created by Corneel. That should bring it up. The password to enter is pikmin. Password (may) change from tournament to tournament. Ok?

Plus: if you have a Pac-man score to submit, i’m sure @corneel can do something with it for an open leaderboard?

Edited on by Lroy

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic