Forums

Topic: Arcade SHMUP High Score Thread

Posts 3,241 to 3,260 of 3,383

bushidosnail

@Lroy I did ask, but I figured it out and deleted the post. I'm having a good time with it already! Thanks for the help

Switch Profile name - bushido

Switch Friend Code: SW-7472-3544-3419

Agent721

I’m just getting started on the challenge, I’ve played a bit on Wildguns but I did put some good time into Outrun. Great game! This is on the 3DS.

Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹
NL Arcade Community High-Score Pilot 🚀

Switch Friend Code: SW-7629-1891-6394 | My Nintendo: Frenchie | Nintendo Network ID: Agent721

Moroboshi876

@Agent721 21 million points! That's nuts! How did you do it?

Guys, I've been able to fix the drifting problem. It turns out this time it wasn't a dust problem, but I needed to calibrate the sticks, one of those things that almost never solve the problem but they have to tell you just in case, and it worked.

I've been trying Thunder Force IV this morning, and boy, is it difficult. What I don't quite understand is how is the score of the challenge taken into account, because I've reached the third stage, or A third stage. The first four can be played in whatever order you want, so... how can I count my performance and how can I show proof?

Thanks

Switch code: SW-2291-6286-4620

Nintendo 3DS code: 2879-0476-7598

My Nintendo: Toni | Twitter:

Agent721

@Moroboshi876

Thanks! I repeated the same path over & over again and slowly began to memorize the course. Once you know where to break or even downshift, you can go much further. On that ride I didn’t crash once which makes a huge difference. I was breaking a ton over the last two sections of the track.

It’s the first time I beat it on 3DS & I’ve apparently unlocked a modifier mode where the car turns green and breaks better. It looks like other modifications can be added/unlocked too. I think folks were mentioning the Switch version has those as well...glad to see it’s on here too.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7629-1891-6394 | My Nintendo: Frenchie | Nintendo Network ID: Agent721

Moroboshi876

@Agent721 Yes, it's based on the 3DS version with some added features. Well, I know it's about memorizing, but no matter how much I play it, I can't do a perfect run in any of the courses. I've beaten it on Mega Drive, but it has to be easier, because I can't beat near arcade-perfect versions like this one. Well, on 3DS I managed to finish course A once. But I haven't been able to get too far on Switch, and I've been playing for hours now, so the "I'm rusty" excuse doesn't work anymore. I memorize parts of it, but sometimes the traffic doesn't appear in the same spot you expected.

I prefer releasing the gas, and only downshift if I go briefly off-road (without crashing), but breaking is something I don't do. Never. It slows me down too much.

Agent721

@Moroboshi876

I do release the break for most of the early stages but not the latter two on course E as you will go flying. I will also note some of the turning signs are misleading in the later stages as the turns come so quick the signs end up telling you to turn the wrong way.

Traffic is just random luck. Sometimes you get much better traffic than other times. In previous runs I actually got stuck behind 3 cars which were entirely blocking the road, forcing me to go off road slightly or if there’s barriers on the sides of the road, try to barely squeeze between two cars.

Good luck, I’m sure with practice you’ll burst through your current score ceiling.

Corneel

@bushidosnail Hi! Great to have you join again! It's a shame you missed out on the Pac-man challenge, but I'm sure we'll have many other fun challenges ahead.

@Moroboshi876 Thunder Force IV has a steep learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, getting through the first four levels won't be that difficult. It's one point for completing any of the first four levels, and two points for level five etc. I'm having a blast with it, but it took me more than an hour before I could even finish a level.

The goals for Thunder Force IV are:
1 point - beat one the first four levels
2 points - reach level 5
3 points - reach level 6
4 points - reach level 7
5 points - reach level 7 boss
6 points - reach level 8
7 points - reach level 8 boss
8 points - reach level 9
9 points - reach level 9 boss
10 points - beat the game!

Moroboshi876

@Corneel Great! Now I understand it. Beat one of the four levels even using up all continues, right? I need all of them to reach the third level for now.

Agent721

I’m excited to try TF4 tonight as I’m just getting the 8bitdo Megadrive/Genesis reproduction joystick delivered today. My favorite Shmup is R Type and few have mentioned it’s similar, so I’m looking forward to digging in.

Edited on by Agent721

Moroboshi876

@Agent721 Just added you on the friends list, by the way. On Xbox too.

bushidosnail

Hey, is there an easy way of taking screenshots on Outrun for Switch? By the time I pull out my phone and switch to camera its already transitioned to the route/high score list screens.

Agent721

Moroboshi876

@bushidosnail Just take a screenshot and then take a picture of it in the Switch gallery after you finish playing.

Lroy

Moroboshi876 wrote:

@bushidosnail Just take a screenshot and then take a picture of it in the Switch gallery after you finish playing.

Yeah. That’s what I do. Should be the little capture/camera button. Think it’s on the left side of the Pro Controller or left Joy-con. Do it by learnt habit so vague on its exact location, lol!

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 | 🚀
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

bushidosnail

Gah, I knew there had to be an easier way. Thanks guys!

CW13

@Corneel I'll definitely try to get in for these challenges! Haven't been on in a while. Just happened to sign in this morning. Glad to see this back!! Sad I missed Pac Man.

CW13

Switch Friend Code: SW-3787-0663-7007 | 3DS Friend Code: 0104-0625-3826 | Twitter:

Corneel

Untitled

We are now halfway through the current challenges and it's time for a quick update on how things are going.

First of all, welcome to the new (old) joiners! @CW13 @bushidosnail and our one and only founding father @Oorwullie Great to have you guys on board again!

Highscore challenge 3 | Out Run (Switch, 3DS)
Rules: Default (New mode | 3 difficulty | 3 time limit | no tune-ups)
@Agent721 is currently on pole position with 21,554,000 points achieved on the 3DS. @Tatanak is close with 15,973,370. Most people seem to find route E the easiest. Tip: when you complete a course, the remaining seconds you have are each worth one million points.

Highscore challenge 4 | Aqua Kitty UDX (Switch, PS4, PSVita, XBone, PC)
Rules: Arcade mode, normal difficulty
@RetroGamerAndrew went all-out with this one (141,351) and straight onto the number 8 spot of the in-game leaderboard! @Tatanak is close on his tail (112,706). @OorWullie is currently in 3rd, but I suspect people are aiming for that spot.

Survival challenge 3 | Thunder Force IV (Switch, Mega Drive, Saturn)
Rules: Japanese version | Normal mode | you can use all 6 continues the game provides you with
Thunder Force IV has a high learning curve that could make a look like a daunting task at first to even complete a level. But as long as you have the right power-ups, learn the levels and try to stay a bit in the middle of the screen to avoid some cheap deaths it is actually very doable to get at least halfway through the game. I got to stage 8 without too much effort and I know @GFoyle is practicing for his run and got to stage 6 with 1 credit. @Zkibu also got to stage 6 boss and is slowly warming up for a better run also.

Survival challenge 4 | Wild Guns Reloaded (Switch, PS4, PC)
Rules: Normal difficulty | any character | you cannot use any continues
Route: Carson city > Ammunition depot > Gold mine > Armored train > Underground > Final fight
Not a lot of gunslingers at the moment... Only a couple of entries and although the game only has 6 levels to beat, it gives you a good challenge. Be sure to give Wild Guns a try, because it's a gem.

Arcade Challenge Season 1, 2nd Month Leaderboard
Check everybody's progress during this challenge. Every time someone posts their progress, it will be updated in this leaderboard. You can see how well you are doing compared to others and in what game you can score some extra points. Points can also drop if someone beats your score in one of the highscore challenges.

Arcade Challenge Highscore Leaderboards
Check the current highscores of Out Run and Aqua Kitty UDX. See how you are doing and who you need to beat next.

Voting for the next month challenges
Voting is up for the games for next month. Pick the games you would like to play next month. Voting closes in a week.

You can also have a look at the Adult Switch Gamers Discord where we have our own little corner where we also discuss these challenges.

Have fun!

Edited on by Corneel

Moroboshi876

I'm having a hard time getting to a goal in Out Run, despite I had managed it on 3DS. I've been playing Switch version for more than 5 hours now, I think, but couldn't do it. I'll try harder though.

I have yet to play Aqua Kitty's arcade mode, but what worries me the most is that Thunder Force IV feels harder to me the more I play it. Nuts. I was able to beat a couple stages the first days, but now I keep dying when I encounter the first level bosses, and keep dying stupidly, thus losing the blade, the most powerful weapon...

I'm a little disheartened and some days I just don't play because I don't want to hate it.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic