Forums

Topic: Anyone else not feel excited for the Switch?

Posts 141 to 160 of 177

skywake

@BiasedSonyFan
Because the Wii was a last generation platform and from 2010 software sales for the platform were halving every year. It may have still had the install base but people weren't buying games for it anymore. The effective install base shrunk. And anyway, the fact that there is still some support for the Wii despite all this? It kinda proves the point. With a large enough install base the games will come.

Just repeating what I've been saying though. I'm not at all saying that the Switch will be as big a hit as the Wii was. I'm not even saying that I expect all the third parties to jump on board. All I'm saying is that the hardware isn't as big a factor as it was with the Wii. That the install base almost surely won't be as bad as it was with the Wii U. And those two things combined mean you can't draw conclusions for third party support based on previous platforms. Especially comparing it to the Wii U.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

skywake

@BiasedSonyFan
Just Dance is a bit of a special case. I don't think the same rules apply to a game like that especially with the Wii audience as big as it was. Similar sorts of things happened with the PS2 with games like Guitar Hero.

For most games that sort of stuff can't happen. It's just back to that simple equation while the console is still being actively played. More active users? More sales. More developers/publishers wanting to get a cut. And as long as the hardware gap isn't too dramatic most games will float over. Not a guarantee that the Switch will get all the games. But the hardware is close enough that if it sells well? They'll come.

Octane

BiasedSonyFan wrote:

Sure. I don't want to downplay the importance of Nintendo making a console that is closer to the Xbox One in graphics hardware than the Wii U was.

However, Western AAA developers can't make a profit if their video games don't sell enough copies to justify the cost of making those video games. Western AAA developers already face an uphill battle selling their video games on Nintendo consoles that have install bases that aren't the same as the install bases for Sony and Microsoft consoles, and even if they find gamers who might be interested in those Western AAA video games, many of those gamers prefer to play graphically superior versions of those video games on other gaming platforms. The Switch's portability does not appeal to those gamers.

''However, Western AAA developers can't make a profit if their video games don't sell enough copies to justify the cost of making those video games.''

Isn't this true for all developers? If the money you're putting into a game is more than what you can get out of it, then you're making a loss. That's just basic economy. When a game like Final Fantasy XV need to sell 15 million copies to be considered profitable (iirc), then yeah, I do think you have a problem with game development. But plenty of the big AAA games sell enough to warrant the high development costs. Now, the difference is that these games aren't exclusive to the Switch. They also get a version on Xbox, PS4 and PC. All that's left are the costs of porting a game. From what I've read, the Wii U had some pretty weird hardware. It wasn't a dev-friendly platform at all. If the Switch improves upon this? And assuming the install base will be bigger than the Wii U's, I think the situation can get a lot better. And if Nintendo works more closely with third parties, I don't see why the Switch can't get ports of a good chuck of the third party multiplats.

Octane

Stefky

Personally, I'm close to being sold already. I've wanted a product like this for a while, and there have been some attempts already, but a tablet with proper gaming controls from Nintendo? That's exciting. A mixture of a portable and home console offers something others aren't.

I have an Xbox One, a PS4 and a gaming PC. I actually find myself playing my Wii U more as I can lie on my back in bed and play on the GamePad and that's just a nicer set up for me. If I want to play a game more intently then I am spoilt for choice and did not really need another 'just another console' from Nintendo to fill a gap that exists in precisely no one's life.

But the Wii U is flawed. It's got a rubbish screen, few games, and is tied to console proximity. The Switch is actually portable, looks like it has a good screen, and so long as it has good games—I'm in.

I was also super happy to see that they have gone for the Xbox stick/button arrangement on the standard pad accessory. It's the one that makes the most sense to me anyway.

Stefky

skywake

@BiasedSonyFan
I don't think anyone is saying that all the third parties are guaranteed to jump on the Switch. I don't even disagree with the point about the PS4 being currently the better platform for western third party releases. The only point I was trying to make was that third parties don't have some sort of vendetta against Nintendo. They want profits. If the Switch sells well it'll become harder and harder for them not to support it.

Another way to look at it. As it currently is the PS4 has over half the home console market install base. But if you include portable systems? Sony only has about a third with Nintendo having over half the install base. I could see a scenario where the Switch does well enough that it manages to get a third of the home console market. Because some of those 3DS people will probably get a Switch. If they can do that? It'd become harder developers and publishers to ignore them.

Especially Japanese developers. Really, everyone is rattling on about western developers in this thread. What about Japanese developers? I think it's basically a given that the Switch will do well in Japan.

DefHalan

@BiasedSonyFan but I don't want a PS4. I like Nintendo Software and that means I get Nintendo Hardware. As hard as I have been on the Switch (which I think I am justified with being hard) I know I will be buying one eventually because of Software, part of the reason why I want to know about Software so much. I have a PC if I want 3rd party sofrware badly enough, but if the Switch got 3rd Party software, then that is a bonus.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

TuVictus

The only way I'd ever get a weaker version of a third party game for the Switch is if the Switch had achievements and proper communication with systems with friends. I wish the portability was as big a factor for me as it seems to be for others. But I'm going to primarily use it as a home console, and the PS4 will most likely beat it in every way in that case.

Oh, one thing I am looking forward to, if true, is the joycons having pointer capabilities. That would mean we could still get the superior control scheme in things like pikmin or Metroid prime without needing to keep two generation old hardware around.

TuVictus

Joeynator3000

Only Switch game I'll get is Mario...(well, Zelda too, but I'm not counting that game)
Other than that, eh...I just want to be able to play 3DS games on it...so I can have my 4U/Gen on the big screen for once.

So, yeah...I'm getting the system, but everyone over hyped the thing...It's not the greatest thing in gaming history, people...

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

DefHalan

@BiasedSonyFan but I would rather play a lot of 3rd Party games on a console, I just don't want to have to purchase multiple consoles.

Octane

@BiasedSonyFan I don't expect every third party game to be on the Switch. The new Red Dead game? That won't be on the Switch I think, nor will the new Mass Effect game. However, as long as they can get the ''important'' stuff, from Minecraft, Rocket League and Overwatch, to FIFA, Madden, Call of Duty, the Assassin's Creeds and Battlefields, then I think they're in the safe zone.

Two of my friends bought an Xbox One mainly to play FIFA. They don't even care about the Xbox exclusives, and one of them has a pretty awesome gaming PC too. He literally only bought it for convenience, playing on the couch and all that. The reason they got Xbox? It was cheaper than the PS4 at the time. I know that one of them loves Mario Kart, but not enough to buy a console for just that game. If a Nintendo console had FIFA? He would've opted for that one instead. The other one? Well, the portability might've convinced him to get a Switch instead. I think there are a lot of people like my friends. They just buy a console for a couple of games, and maybe get some exclusives, because they own the system anyway. I think that the Switch may end up as a serious alternative for some people. As long as Ninty handles the marketing right, but from what I've seen, they have improved a lot. Let's hope they keep up this marketing strategy.

@Operative The only game I'd ever want to play with motion controls again is Pikmin. So I'm glad to see that the Switch is capable of motion controls. However, it's located on the bottom part of the right Joy-Con controller. I don't know how comfortable that's going to be..

Octane

DefHalan

@BiasedSonyFan Sony and Microsoft get Exclusives too. I don't want to play their exclusives and I am not going to buy a PS4 or XB1 to play a few 3rd Party games I want. If they just came to a system I actually want, then I would be happy. Why is it such a bad thing to want 3rd Party software on Nintendo systems? You seem to be fighting that idea really hard.

Octane

@BiasedSonyFan That's the point though. Even though it may not get all the multiplat games. If it gets enough of them, and mostly the popular ones, I do think that it can find its own space in the console market and become a little more than just a hybrid device for Nintendo fans.

Octane

DefHalan

I really don't think there are "Nintendo customers" that are completely different than other customers. People that own Nintendo systems are just as likely to purchase 3rd Party software as other customers, but when offered a better deal, they will go for the better deal. 3rd parties constantly told customers not to buy the Wii U versions of their games by offering better deals on other systems.

LzWinky

It doesn't even need 3rd party exclusives since...well...it is Nintendo

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

DefHalan

@BiasedSonyFan But what is so bad about wanting the switch to play the 3rd Party games you want?

rallydefault

@DefHalan

There's nothing bad about it. And it would actually lead to greater prosperity for the console. I don't know why anyone in their right mind would not want as many 3rd-party titles on the system as possible.

rallydefault

DefHalan

@BiasedSonyFan You were telling me to buy a system I don't want if I wanted 3rd Party, when I only want to play 3rd Party on the system I want.

TuVictus

You know what would be a great port that makes alot of sense? The Kingdom Hearts remix games.

It's a shame the xbox one is getting KH3 despite the games never appearing on a Microsoft console. Most likely because porting it is a next to nothing cost for them.

TuVictus

rallydefault

Operative wrote:

You know what would be a great port that makes alot of sense? The Kingdom Hearts remix games.

It's a shame the xbox one is getting KH3 despite the games never appearing on a Microsoft console. Most likely because porting it is a next to nothing cost for them.

Always comes down to two things: money and porting. In that order. If the user base is large and lucrative, money will trump porting troubles every time, even. If the user base is perhaps a bit small, but the porting process is easy, a game can still happen.

The good thing is that the Switch will be easy to port too. If it gets a nice install base in the first 6 months heading into the holidays, that will be quite the nice sales pitch.

rallydefault

Buizel

@Operative Considering the ubiquity of Kingdom Hearts on Nintendo's handheld efforts, I would be surprised if we didn't get at least one KH game on the Switch.

KH3 or the remasters though? Not sure about that...

At least 2'8".

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.