Forums

Topic: 2 Major Things That Go Against Having A Smash Bros. "Deluxe Port"

Posts 101 to 120 of 169

noobish_hat

Meowpheel wrote:

So once the online subscription enters in action any and all ports are strictly forbidden. Right?

Good strawman you've got there. Nobody actually said that. It's been said over and over again now, so I don't know how much more simply it can be put: if we're talking about USING GAMES TO SELL THE PAID ONLINE SERVICE, a new game is better than a port of a game that's already been online for free. Didn't realise that was such a mind-bending and controversial idea.

Hate to also have to repeat this as well, but apparently some people are actually this dense: someone who has no intention of playing online anyway is not likely to complain about paying for online. But sure, this argument is making real headway, so please continue with your tone deaf bleating.

noobish_hat

backup368

@Meowpheel I'm not saying eventually paying for online to play Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is wrong. Since last January, we've come to expect that the time will come where we will have to pay for online. But for now, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, which has been used to sell consoles, not online subscriptions, had done its job by getting millions of people to buy a Switch when Nintendo was counting on it to.

Pokemon used to have Pokemon battles and trades as your only means of online play. Who knows what they are coming up with for this next game, though? This could be a whole new experience like Breath of the Wild was, where you could explore an open world and interact with other players in a lot more ways.

@skywake To you, it's neither of those things. Like many other people, you just want to have some sort of Smash Bros on the Switch no matter the cost. You're hoping that it's a port because it's the soonest that you would get to play some form of the game on Switch, and you do not think that there is enough time or Nintendo lore to warrant a sequel.

backup368

Switch Friend Code: SW-3852-6842-9110

Morpheel

@noobish_hat Smash Bros would use Online, ergo Online would use Smash Bros.

Have you considered that Smash Bros would not be the only game used to sell the online subscription? That people could have other reasons to pay for online that don't include Smash and Bros in the name?

Has anyone considered that a Smash Bros port doesn't have to release in time to coincide with the online subscription?

Edited on by Morpheel

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

backup368

@Meowpheel After saying that, wouldn't it occur to you that a Smash Bros. game in September is less likely the case? This is what I have been saying all along; They're not going to use only one game to sell online subscriptions. They're going to wait until there are many so that they start out with a lot of games for people to play. First it was slated to be released Fall 2017, and then Fall 2018, which is when the majority of 3rd party game releases occur.

backup368

Switch Friend Code: SW-3852-6842-9110

Morpheel

There's the thing, nothing really suggests that a smash bros game will come out in september.

Not a port, not a new game.

The other thing: if it were to happen, it would likely be a port, if only for the fact that these games don't usually get announced and released in the same year.

Edited on by Morpheel

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

backup368

@Meowpheel I never said that a Smash Bros. game of any kind was going to be released in September, or even this year. That is what a game journalist is saying and that is what many fans are taking as gospel.

backup368

Switch Friend Code: SW-3852-6842-9110

skywake

backup368 wrote:

Like many other people, you just want to have some sort of Smash Bros on the Switch no matter the cost. You're hoping that it's a port because it's the soonest that you would get to play some form of the game on Switch, and you do not think that there is enough time or Nintendo lore to warrant a sequel.

Smash Bros is a fighting game, it's not a game that I get excited about a new release for because of all the new things. It's a game that I get excited about a new release because it means I can play it on the new hardware. It's not that I'm opposed to the idea of Smash Bros 5 so much as I don't see why you are so opposed to a deluxe release of Smash 4.

noobish_hat wrote:

if we're talking about USING GAMES TO SELL THE PAID ONLINE SERVICE, a new game is better than a port of a game that's already been online for free.

We're not talking about that, you're talking about that. Everybody else is struggling to work out why you think the two things need to go together so tightly. Nintendo charging for online will be DoA if the only thing they have to convince you to pay for it is one game's online mode. Smash Bros of any kind would be a good title to launch alongside it but it alone is not going to be the reason why people pay for online. To quote the person you are vocally defending:

backup368 wrote:

They're not going to use only one game to sell online subscriptions. They're going to wait until there are many so that they start out with a lot of games for people to play.

Edited on by skywake

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, TFS
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Morpheel

To be honest if a Smash Bros 4 port does come out, I'm far more curious about what they'll do with the amiibo line.

Would they re-release them all again? Would that be worth the effort?

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

skywake

Meowpheel wrote:

To be honest if a Smash Bros 4 port does come out, I'm far more curious about what they'll do with the amiibo line. Would they re-release them all again? Would that be worth the effort?

I'd assume they'd just continue with what they're generally doing with Amiibo. Existing ones are compatible and in addition they might push out a few new ones. Same deal if it's not a port I would assume. Which is probably true across the board for any part of this discussion.

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, TFS
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Morpheel

But wouldn't it be odd to have the game with the vast majority of the related amiibo not available for purchase?

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

GoldenGamer88

Been following this discussion more for entertainment purposes than anything. All I have to say is that I‘d rather have a Smash 4 Deluxe port based on the WiiU version with all of its DLCs, the favorite stages from the 3DS version and new content with more on the way. The reason being that it‘d leave the roster intact. Smash 4‘s roster is MASSIVE and there‘d be no way we‘d get them all back in Smash 5, especially guys like Ryu, Cloud or Bayonetta. Now, nobody come at me with the whole 'but Dark Pit shouldn‘t be in the game'. A. Who are you to decide who is suitable for Smash and who isn‘t? Sakurai? B. Dark Pit is a clone, therefore only took a fracture of development time somebody like King K. Rool would‘ve taken (or do you wanna have another Ganondorf at your hands?). Consider him, Lucina, Dr. Mario and so on the cherry on top of your sundae.

Join the NL Inklings Discord Server: https://discord.gg/5gf7xg3

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-8427-0621-0325, Username: Montillo
PSN: Montillo88

Nintendo Network ID: Montillo

Grumblevolcano

I think they'd clear up alternate versions of characters which haven't already been released as amiibo (e.g. Alph, the Koopalings, Robin, Wii Fit Trainer) as well as any bonus characters they may add to the Switch version (e.g. Ice Climbers).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Shellcore

Rubbish anyway. Maybe just make it a portion of the next Mario Party ; )

Hikingguy

There are very few games that are in direct competition with Smash. It is a unique game that seems to own their market. And even the few that have tried to compete directly have not been overly successful. So even a port of an already very polished game that looks more than acceptable with the right additions to take advantage of the new hardware would sell very well.
And the people that might complain would be overshadowed very quickly by everyone praising the game.
I think Nintendo would be just fine releasing a unified full featured version of the Smash on Switch. And over time I doubt anyone would be upset if this was the only version to be released on Switch.
If MK8 was justified with a port and sold like crazy, by unifying the 3DS and Wii U versions into one game might be even more justified.

Hikingguy

MegaVel91

@Grumblevolcano You're assume it would be at the end of Switch's lifespan. You have no definitive proof of that.

MegaVel91

backup368

@Hikingguy If that were the case, they would have released it by now.

backup368

Switch Friend Code: SW-3852-6842-9110

backup368

@Meowpheel In 2014, they only had 12 characters by November.

backup368

Switch Friend Code: SW-3852-6842-9110

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic