Forums

Topic: Will you buy an NX at launch?

Posts 141 to 160 of 173

skywake

I don't get this constant contradiction from people. They say that Nintendo really need to replace the Wii U from a "business perspective" and then go on to say that the hardware is fine and it doesn't need replacing. But then go to the 3DS and talk about how the hardware is in desperate need of a decent refresh but that it won't get it because "it sells well". The thing is, if the Wii U is selling poorly because of something other than the hardware how is a new piece of hardware going to change things? If the 3DS is so immortal why did they need to release the New 3DS to bump sales along?

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Reznor52

@Tasuki: I love Nintendo and all their games but sadly sold my wii u when it became clear it had little to now Future. With that said, I'd love to give Nintendo another shot and am anxiously awaiting for the NX. The wii u was both refreshing and incredibly fun. It's actually unfortunate a lot of the wii u titles haven't got as much attention as they should gotten because of poor wii u sales. Unless you own the wii u or are a nintendo fan a lot of people aren't aware that Nintendo is still making some of the best games around.

Reznor52

Octane

@Reznor52: I never really understood what people mean by that. It's not as if Nintendo has abandoned the Wii U, in fact, we're getting amazing games, SMM just released, this year along we're still getting Fatal Frame, Xenoblade X, Star Fox, Yoshi's Woolly World (NA), Project Guard and more. Next year will bring us SMTxFE and Pokkén Tournament. Pikmin 4 is very likely to release in 2016, just like Zelda U and Project Giant Robot. They're all still in development for Wii U. On top of that, we don't even know when they will release their next console, that's all based on rumours and speculation.

Octane

Reznor52

@Octane: I don't disagree with you on that. Like I said before, less knowledge individuals on the Internet( YouTube) will constantly bash Nintendo and the wii u saying it's a complete fail. It's all perceptive. I loved the wii u games and are some of the best around. People will jump to conclusions based on the low numbers that the wii u itself is a poor system or lacks good games which is untrue. I sold my wii u because imo I didn't see much of a future and I spent a lot of time researching and ultimately deciding if this was a smart decision for myself. I support Nintendo and their fans but their was no major AAA titles announced during E3 for the wii u that we didn't already know about. To me, that was a red flag. I also couldn't help but envy the metal gear solid 5, fallout 4, star wars battlefront, and doom 4 games I'd miss out on. I'm strongly considering buying a 3DS, so I can get my Nintendo fill so to speak. I currently own the ps4 and am missing those classic Nintendo games. Still happily own the gamecube and N64 with the best games available for those consoles. Again, I believe in Nintendo I just want them to prove it via NX in terms of adapting to the current gaming climate. 3rd party support, universal online accounts, etc. Most importantly longevity which I fear we'll look back on and not see that with the wii u. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

Reznor52

Octane

@Reznor52: Well, Nintendo did say that they were going to focus on 2015 games during E3. I don't think that was a wise decision, but ultimately I understand why they did that. We've seen a lot of games getting delayed, that could've been avoided if they weren't announced too early, so focussing on games that are near completion and are guaranteed to come out makes a lot more sense than featuring games that may or may not get released during the following year or the year after that. Nintendo is playing their cards close to their chest at the moment, and that makes it very difficult to predict what is going to happen. In 2016 we might see the Wii U fading out, but it might as well become one of its better years. As of now, it looks like it's going to be the latter of the two. I hope that we'll get a Direct this year that will give us some more insight into the games that we're getting in 2016.

Octane

Reznor52

@Octane: and I agree that could definitely be Nintendos mindset in terms of revealing future wii u games for 2016-2017. I knew about pokken tournament before hand but was surprisingly excited to see it announced for the wii u. Another solid game. Now these are rumors/word of mouth but from creditable sources that Nintendo is currently working on a new metriod and Mario game unfortunately most think it's for the NX via their launch. All I wanted was one AAA Nintendo game to be announced that we already didn't know about. When I first heard about a new animal crossing game I was nearly sold until I found it was party/board themed game. To me again that showed red flags. I'm hyped for the NX and my prediction is not only will the NX launch with the largest digital Nintendo library but most of the legit wii u games will be available for purchase from day one which also factored into me trading my wii u for the ps4 hoping the NX would incorporate what I mentioned above. If all else fails I'll strongly consider repurchasing the wii u down the road. Easily spent over 130 hours between Mario kart and smash bros mainly online.

Edited on by Reznor52

Reznor52

VanillaLake

I'm quite disappointed with Nintendo behaviour and philosophy in recent years (since the Wii era) and I knew their good luck could not last forever. I hope Nintendo goes back to what they were before but, at the same time, I fear they might move into casual stuff that they can port to smartphones. They said only a few games are going to be for smartphones and that's fine if they make money, but recent NX rumours talk about more casual and touch-screen stuff on their next console/hybrid. Is this the end of the Nintendo we love? Wouldn't be better if they turned into a software company? Just questions, I'm not sure about the answers at the moment.

I really don't like the navigation bar of Nintendo Life continuously reappearing while browsing!!

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0258-0952 | Nintendo Network ID: NNID-Fer

Offspring

VanillaLake wrote:

I hope Nintendo goes back to what they were before but, at the same time, I fear they might move into casual stuff that they can port to smartphones.

Nintendo isn't going to port games to smartphones. There may be a few exceptions like Pokemon Shuffle but Nintendo is not going to be making more casual games than they have before.

VanillaLake wrote:

recent NX rumours talk about more casual and touch-screen stuff on their next console/hybrid.

Touchscreen =/= casual, touchscreens have made about every piece of tech that uses it more convenient plus the NX will still have buttons (did you not see the rotary shoulder button patent?) to go with the screen. No rumors have made the NX look like it will be aimed at casuals.

VanillaLake wrote:

Is this the end of the Nintendo we love? Wouldn't be better if they turned into a software company?

Hell no to both questions. Number one, look at their new rebranded image they are using at retailers; it's clear to me they are going back to "old school" Nintendo marketing for the NX which should quell your overly-nostalgic fears. Number two, if they went 3rd party they would lose the advantage of building games around their own hardware and probably create even less new IPs.

Bathe in the glory of The Offspring:
Smash
Self-Esteem
Gone Away

Fire Emblem is Nickelback.
I am the artist formally known as "insert ...

rallydefault

@OlicityBlows: "Touchscreen =/= casual"

Yes, it does; touchscreen only, mind you. There's only so much you can do with a touchscreen reliably when it comes to fast-paced action games. For something like a strategy or sim, especially without time requirements, then it's perfect and relaxing. But for something like a FPS? Or adventure? Or... well, pretty much anything requiring more than one point of input at any given time with rapid succession? Yea, touchscreen is meant for casual play.

If you wish to argue that point, let's jump into some sort of alternate future and you can play against me in CoD: you'll use current touchscreen technology only, and I'll use a keyboard/mouse (or heck, I'll even use an Xbox controller). I wonder how that would turn out.

rallydefault

Offspring

@rallydefault: I'm not talking about touchscreen only controller; I'm talking about a controller with buttons that has a touchscreen to add convenience. As for your hypothetical CoD match, I don't play shooters so I don't care (plus I find people bragging how good they are at shooting fake guns laughable).

Bathe in the glory of The Offspring:
Smash
Self-Esteem
Gone Away

Fire Emblem is Nickelback.
I am the artist formally known as "insert ...

JaxonH

Of course I'm buying the NX. Both of them (handheld and console). Pre order. Day one, no questions asked.

I've played some of the best games in my life on the Wii U and 3DS. And before that, some of the best I'd ever played was on the Wii and DS. And before that, the GameCube and GBA. There's not a chance in hell I'm gonna miss out on the next Nintendo console. To do that would be to miss out on those fantastic games, which is not an option for me.

@rallydefault:
Touchscreen only is definitely a casual approach. However, a fully fledged controller with buttons and analogs that adds touch to augment the control-input experience... that is a core gamer approach.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

mdfezasmbroxeno

If its home console for me to buy on day one would need a real new metroid game because of what i play they will be released late for wii u cycle 2016 or it will be to soon for nx. handheld good line up, but i like a few more for my n3ds only or take advantage of it over old 3ds for day 1.
hybrid 90% as long as line up is decent for the games for day one. not picky on controls, also expect amiibo support either built in or aimed to do within the 1st year with new hardware like the one for old 3ds. I don't expect too much for wii u after all the promise stuff is taken care of so like after zelda wii u its going down hill and i'm pretty sure zelda wii u will get ported to nx if it can met the requirements or after 2 years after launch.

or a replecement of reggie a few games missing from vc for wii u just to name a few (metroid zero mission wii u eshop, xenoblade chronicles wii u eshop) nice deals when u preorder stuff, few specials for north like fire emblem if ( now i'm forced to buy it all on eshop if i want it all on the go.) new real metroid missing with that i'll buy nx day 1 no problem.

Edited on by mdfezasmbroxeno

mdfezasmbroxeno

mdfezasmbroxeno

@shani: i bought my wii u fairly early when i could afford to do i, yes i'm getting most of games i wanted, from 1st and 2nd party for ips and it was a long time between releases i liked, your reasons are pretty much mine for early buyers for systems, but i'm not sure how often i'll be doing it for day 1 system or within 1 year.

mdfezasmbroxeno

Flashman

I bought the wii u on launch day and I bought the 3DS on launch day. I love the 3DS, but I see the wii u as a regret. I have hardly touched it since I bought it even though I bought about a dozen different titles over the last few years.

After feeling burned with the Wii U I have no interest in buy the NX although I am curious as to what they plan to release.

Flashman

Bolt_Strike

It's unlikely, but it depends on several factors:

1. How will the NX handle Wii U games? Will it be BC, or will we just see a bunch of ports and remasters? Because if I have access to the entirety of the Wii U's back catalog at launch, that would be a good reason to buy one.
2. What kinds of new games can I expect? Are they finally going to get to the large scale 3D Mario, 3D Zelda, and Metroid Prime games I've been waiting all of 8th gen for? Are we going to see some creative gameplay mechanics that actually make the new games worthwhile to play? Or are they going to continue to cheap out, cash in on nostalgia, and recycle past ideas? I will not be supporting the NX if the lineup is as lazy as the Wii U's, I need to see games that legitimately impress.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Shinion

@Bolt_Strike: You say that it would be great to have access to the Wii U's library on NX, then immediately after say that it would be bad if NX's games were as "lazy" as those on Wii U? Wow, the rate at which you contradict yourself is staggering, no wonder no one takes you seriously, I mean really.

Shinion

TuVictus

I'm sure he means being able to play whatever wii u games he does like. I don't think he feels every single wii u game is lazy.

TuVictus

Bolt_Strike

Operative wrote:

I'm sure he means being able to play whatever wii u games he does like. I don't think he feels every single wii u game is lazy.

Pretty much. The majority of the Wii U's lineup is pretty lazy, there's a lot of recycling of previous ideas and IPs and gameplay styles that focused on exploration have been dying out. But there are a few games worth playing, just not enough to justify a console purchase. Combined with the NX's lineup may be a different story however. So if the NX does follow the Wii U's lineup, I'd be very unenthusiastic about the console, but if there's enough good NX games mixed in those plus the Wii U's back catalog would be enough to justify a purchase.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Whydoievenbother

When I see the following, I will decide
1. The games on NX
2. The price of the NX
3. The NX itself

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

GerudoKing

Even though no one knows what the NX is, I'm sure I'll get it. What can I say, I'm a fanboy. Buy will I get it at launch or wait a bit? Can't say. Like it's been said, depends on what the NX actually is and what games are on it. Metroid Prime 4? I'm sold.

GerudoKing

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.