Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 2,121 to 2,140 of 70,009

Therad

I think it is mostly low install base. Ps3 and Xbox 360 got more of the multi platform titles than Wii U, and it should be easier to port to Wii U.

And rocket league is built on ue 3, which has official support for Wii U.

Therad

Octane

@GrailUK How's that any different to what Sony and MS are doing then? When they do it, it's ''bad'', ''evil'', but when Nintendo does it, it's innovative and unique..

Don't count your chickens before they hatch. There's still a lot we don't know about the NX yet, and I don't think the rumour is entirely true. There's some stuff I just don't buy; Eurogamer may have some insider's information, but I don't think all of it is true, or it may be partially outdated.

Octane

GrailUK

@Octane Erm..you went weird then mate. I didn't mention bad or evil. Weird. Anyhoo you seem confused so all I was trying to say is, I think a handheld device suits an iterative model than a home console. I don't mind upgrading a phone occasionally,but I wouldn't upgrade my PC. It's too big lol. It's better to upgrade components. (Not evil just not ideal.)

Edited on by GrailUK

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

rallydefault

@GrailUK
And, generally, it tends to be a lot cheaper to iterate a handheld rather than a home console, because... handhelds are cheaper, generally lol. Though not technically "upgrades" for the most part, Nintendo has ALWAYS released new versions of its handheld during each line's lifetime, and the general public (as far as I know) hasn't been taking to pitchforks over it for the past 3ish decades.

@Octane
And I totally see what you're saying, because what Microsoft and Sony are doing does seem kinda/sorta similar to something like the New 3DS, but people are getting bent out of shape over it. It might just be because Microsoft/Sony fans aren't really used to this kind of thing like we are (I owned a GameBoy, GameBoy Color, DS, DSi, etc. etc.), so the outcry just SEEMS to be pervasive and terrible (like most things on the internet). On the other hand, though, you have to admit - I don't know if we've seen such a complete power upgrade for a home console mid life cycle before. The expansion pack for the N64 was something that could be put into your existing N64 - you didn't have to buy a new one to get the power - Scorpio and Neo need you to buy entirely new machines. And it doesn't help that neither company is being super clear about the benefits/limitations with the new and old machines. Everyone keeps saying "every" game will remain playable if you don't upgrade, but honestly, I don't buy that. There's gotta be some kind of catch. We'll have to wait and see.

rallydefault

Octane

@GrailUK Sure, but that's only because you're used to it. Besides, they're not selling you a home console every two years. We got a mid-gen upgrade after three years; and if the PS4 and XOne are supported for another three years until the next upgrade, then six years isn't a bad deal at all.

Maybe I'm getting old and grumpy, but (and maybe as expected) this site often knows how to sugar coat anything that's Nintendo related. The idea of upgrading your NX is no different than upgrading your PS4 or XOne if that's the bussiness model all three companies are pursuing.

Octane

Octane

@rallydefault Well it certainly doesn't help that Sony has yet to announce the PS4 NEO, and I don't think we've had a lot of details on the Scorpio yet either. From what we know, Giant Bomb got their hands on documents that detailed the specifications and other details regarding NEO. It was specified that all games must have a vanilla mode that runs on PS4 and a NEO mode. They're pretty strict about it. There's good reason too, they're not going to screw over their 45 million userbase for an exclusive game that could've easily been released on the vanilla system as well. The regular PS4 won't be replaced either, but will exist as a ''budget'' console, whilst the NEO will be the high-end machine. It only makes sense to support both when you're selling both. Currently, I don't see the problem at all, we're certainly not going to see the ''new 3DS exclusive'' type of deals for the NEO in the first couple of years. If PS4 is their iterative console, and if we're getting a NEO 2.0 in 2019 for example, then it would make sense to move on and forget about the regular PS4. Or at least make games exclusive to the NEO and NEO 2.0. However, for the coming years? I wouldn't worry too much.

Octane

GrailUK

@Octane Heheh don't let the site and speculation get to ya. (I am the first to admit I have no idea what I am talking about. I just like to play games Ninty, Sony or MS, Capcom, heck I still like Konami! lol)

Edited on by GrailUK

parallaxscroll

I highly doubt Sony will make a NEO 2.0

The next PlayStation after NEO will be PS5, probably coming Holiday 2020.

parallaxscroll

GrailUK

@parallaxscroll Wowsers that sketch is very sexy.

Therad

Ms haven't said that every game will run on the old Xbox. It seems people assumes this will be the case.

And apparently Sony forces every game to be run in 1080p but not forcing a target frame rate. So we will probably see some games stutter on the original ps4. Frame rates are more important than resolution, especially in action games.

Therad

Therad

parallaxscroll wrote:

I highly doubt Sony will make a NEO 2.0

The next PlayStation after NEO will be PS5, probably coming Holiday 2020.

why not? What benefits do Sony gain by restarting their install base?

Therad

Grumblevolcano

@Therad I'd don't remember where but I'm pretty sure Phil Spencer has actually said about no Scorpio exclusives. He even said that there's no point in owning Scorpio if you don't own a 4K TV.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

@Therad According to the head of Xbox Games marketing, there won't be any Scorpio exclusives:

And here's some more on NEO:

Giant Bomb wrote:

Games running in NEO mode will be able to use the hardware upgrades (and an additional 512 MiB in the memory budget) to offer increased and more stable frame rate and higher visual fidelity, at least when those games run at 1080p on HDTVs. The NEO will also support 4K image output, but games themselves are not required to be 4K native.

In the documents we’ve received, Sony offers suggestions for reaching 4K/UltraHD resolutions for NEO mode game builds, but they're also giving developers a degree of freedom with how to approach this. 4K TV owners should expect the NEO to upscale games to fit the format, but one place Sony is unwilling to bend is on frame rate. Throughout the documents, Sony repeatedly reminds developers that the frame rate of games in NEO Mode must meet or exceed the frame rate of the game on the original PS4 system.

Sony seems committed to keeping the NEO and the original PS4 player bases connected. As such, there will be no NEO-only games, and Sony will not let developers separate NEO users from original PS4 players while playing on PSN. Likewise, Sony explicitly and repeatedly states that developers cannot offer exclusive gameplay options or special unlockables for NEO players—so don’t expect NEO owners to get a level editor or a special Rocket League car that you won’t have access to on your original PS4. That said, so long as both systems have the same feature, the NEO can run an improved version.

Sony isn't forcing anyone to make games in 1080p. The NEO mode already upscales the game from the looks of it and developers may release games running in 4K native, but that isn't required. The framerate should match the vanilla mode, so NEO games cannot sacrifice framerate for graphics.

I think people are looking at it the wrong way. Developers will still develop PS4 games, but are can upscale certain features in NEO mode. It's not as if NEO suddenly has to become the priority, since the game has to be the same on PS4, it makes a lot more sense to develop with the PS4 in mind and upscale where possible for NEO mode. Seems like everyone is expecting every PS4 game after the release of NEO to run like garbage; pretty sure that won't be the case. At least, if they do, they would've ran like garbage anyway, even without the existence of NEO.

Octane

cwong15

@Therad A short term loss will make sense if it gains a long term contract with long term profits. Tegra already has no real customers this fiscal year, so it's a bust anyway. NVidia can lump the short term loss in this year's accounting and realize the profits in the next year. It's all in the accounting. Moreover, there's that additional speculation in that post that fabrication contracts mandate certain order amounts with penalties: NVidia's only choice may be between a loss and a bigger loss.

I can't see how you can say NVidia is "top dog" in graphics when they are shut out of every single current-gen game console. Wii U, PS4, XB1 ... they are not in any of them. They aren't even "middle dog". They are "no dog". Nobody wants them. That's got to hurt them, prestige-wise. In the console gaming world, NVidia is "top dog" in the same way Nintendo is "top dog": in their memories and dreams.

@skywake I don't know anything about their future automotive business, but it really won't help their reputation. Even if you could make every Buick that lumbers by sport an "NVidia Inside" sticker, the relationship to gaming graphics won't be obvious. Think about it this way: even as BlackBerry slid into irrelevance in the smartphone market, they were "top dog" in the automotive OS market. That sure did not do them any good.

Edited on by cwong15

cwong15

rallydefault

@Octane
Yea, I see what you're saying. I own both a PS4 and Xbox One. To be honest, I don't really use them, so it doesn't really mean much coming from me when I say that I'm not going to be buying either of the upgrades.

It just still feels.... kind of weird? For some reason? I don't know, I can't explain it. I don't feel betrayed by them or anything because, like I said, I don't even really use their machines much, but to me it just feels like an awkward mid-cycle thing to do. And to be fair, the New 3DS feels pretty awkward to me, too. I didn't buy one, either.

It's just my feeling, though. And it's probably just a symptom of change if this is what console cycles are going to look like in the future. The first bump will always be the most jarring, but then you get used to it.

rallydefault

LzWinky

I still fail to see the point of the NEO.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Grumblevolcano

@Lzeon Until proven wrong I'm considering the NEO a console designed to improve the PSVR experience.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

LzWinky

Like I said, no point

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Octane

@rallydefault I think it's more a thing of keeping the available systems up-to-date. It's a weird thing though if you think about it; at the end of a generation cycle, we're still playing on 6-year old machines. From a technological perspective, that's pretty old. The good thing is that nobody's forced to upgrade anything. I'm not going to buy a NEO, but if there are people that have 4K TVs and don't mind spending a bit more for a NEO, then that's their choice. I think that most of the NEO adopters will come from people that don't own a PS4 yet. Now you don't have to buy a 3-year old machine, but you have the option to buy the newest iteration instead. Of course, there's VR as well. VR requires to render two screens at once, so VR games can't be as graphically intense as regular games; the extra horsepower of NEO can boost the performance of VR games as well. It's just another option to choose from in the end, I don't see the harm.

Octane

Therad

@cwong15 You are missing all the other areas that exists outside consoles, such as PC-gaming, graphics processing, workstations, embedded systems etc. Consoles are such a small fraction if you look at technology as a whole.

Amd has razor-thin margins in the console space, because they are dependent on that revenue to even stay in business. In fact, there has been warnings about bankruptcy.

It has been like this for ages, and it hasn't helped AMD that the console market has shrunk from last gen.

If you don't believe me, look at the yearly revenues for both companies. Nvidia has a much more healthy revenue stream.

@octane I stand corrected. 1080p was apparently just for Neo games, the article I first read wasn't clear about that. MS though, I won't trust until I see it. He just says it can technically run on Xbox One. And no part about exclusive content.

Therad

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic