Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 1,021 to 1,040 of 70,011

Therad

Project_Dolphin wrote:

@Grumblevolcano:

If Nintendo attracts the smartphone/tablet audience, you mean.

@Therad:

Maybe, but that by itself doesn't explain Nintendo's unwillingness to talk about the NX. A home video game console with no backwards compatibility and that's more powerful than the Wii U? That's not news, and that would also make the NX a simple replacement for the Wii U, anyway.

I think you are reading into that statement a bit too much. It is just a throw away statement to investors.

And even if they go x86 (highly probable), they might still have something new. They are not mutually exclusive. I just don't think it will be radically different. The more they can minimize the apparent gap between the consoles, the less 3rd parties can whine. But they can still have something innovative.

And it will be more powerful than Wii U, I have a hard time believing AMD would support such an old graphics architecture as the one in the U.

Therad

skywake

Therad wrote:

And it will be more powerful than Wii U, I have a hard time believing AMD would support such an old graphics architecture as the one in the U.

Well they do but.... well to make a point here's a "Wii U equivalent" GPU for PC. They still sell these sort of cards but really, nobody buys them. Nobody should either. It's an NVidia card but, you get the idea
Untitled

And this is a "PS4/XBOne equivalent" card. "Budget gaming", yeah?
Untitled

And this is a "PS4 Neo equivalent" card. The sweet spot, it's the most popular SKU.
Untitled

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Therad

skywake wrote:

Therad wrote:

Well they do but.... well to make a point here's a "Wii U equivalent" GPU for PC. They still sell these sort of cards but really, nobody buys them. Nobody should either. It's an NVidia card but, you get the idea
Untitled

And this is a "PS4/XBOne equivalent" card. "Budget gaming", yeah?
Untitled

And this is a "PS4 Neo equivalent" card. The sweet spot, it's the most popular SKU.
Untitled

I am talking Long term. Will they support them in 5 years?

Therad

skywake

@Therad:
Well the Wii U's GPU is very much on the low-end compared to what you'd get for a desktop PC. On paper some of those cheapest cards are probably even more capable. But at the same time? Mobile GPUs are only just now getting to that point at the very high end.

So they could support that spec in 5 years, it'd still make sense. But as a portable system not a home console. Far more likely we'd get something at least 2x above the Wii U spec in a home console and under 1/2 the Wii U spec in a portable.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Therad

Project_Dolphin wrote:

@Therad

There is nothing special about a console that's just slightly more powerful than the PS4 and has no backwards compatibility, and it would also not be worth keeping under wraps. If that's what the NX is, then Nintendo should just unveil the NX now and try to build up some hype before launch.

The PS4 already has an install base of about 40 million gamers, and the Xbox One has an install base of about 25 million gamers. There are also alot of gamers who play video games on smartphones and tablets. The NX cannot be just a vanilla home video game console, or it will likely fail to appeal to any gamer when it is released.

I haven't said that is the only thing they are doing. But those things are solutions to the main complaints people have. And if they have something innovative, it won't interfere too much with the control scheme. That is a safe bet.

Therad

DefHalan

@Project_Dolphin
If they do have a PS4 Clone, then what would be the point of announcing it so early? There really is no benefit to announcing what the system is until they want because it is keeping them in the news. Anytime anything happens hardware or Nintendo related you see an article about the NX. No matter what the system is, it doesn't make sense to announce it before Nintendo is ready to announce it, the free publicity is well worth waiting on that announcement.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

WebHead

You'd think people would have given up on the "vanilla home console" thing by now. It's obviously just just gonna be a ps4 with a Nintendo badge on it. There will be a gimmick/innovation/unique feature.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Massew1

Here's my best hope and idea for the future of Nintendo.
-1080p60fps console + large Hard drive
-Mario Maker never ends to update new features like the door+keys. Always something new to discover.
-Zelda NX is open world. It pretty much already has a lot of opportunity.
-Mario Kart NX updates regularly with new levels (WiiU DLC style).
-3D Mario World NX (Galaxy 2 style)
-revamped Virtual Console including more games (let us download already own Wii-WiiU games)
-a universal Pro controller. compatible with every games including old ones. no gimmick
-revamped Nintendo Network ecosystem for every game. Help me find the Good levels in Mario Maker

Basically, I feel like we shouldn't have to wait an entire Generation of console to have a franchise updates.
Wii U didn't even bother a new 3D Mario. (sorry, 3D world was good but I prefer Galaxy controls and vast area)
I think that a well established gameplay style can live on for years.
Nintendo games could live on for long period of time if they maintain them.

Nintendo should emphasize on their ecosystem like Disney or Apple.

PS: I have always owned a Playstation a side from a nintendo console, This may be why I dont bother with 3rd party games.

Edited on by Massew1

Massew1

WebHead

The next shareholder meeting will apparently be on June 29th. Expecting an announcement of an announcement ie reveal month and maybe formfactor.

WebHead

WebHead

Which once again is probably why it isn't that.

WebHead

DefHalan

@Project_Dolphin If you think the NX will be nothing special, even if at first glance it seems to be a PS4 clone, then that is more of a personal problem. Even if it is a PS4 clone but with Nintendo software, things will be heating up in the console race. Nintendo will be fighting over the same crowd as Sony and Microsoft, and how those companies respond will be important. The NX isn't going to make or break Nintendo, but how they move their business forward will be what is important. Even if the NX is a PS4 Clone, it means Nintendo's business strategy has changed and with that, competitors will have to take notice.

WebHead

@DefHalan or just continue as is with third party games that will sell better on their system anyway.

WebHead

FragRed

DefHalan wrote:

@Project_Dolphin
If they do have a PS4 Clone, then what would be the point of announcing it so early? There really is no benefit to announcing what the system is until they want because it is keeping them in the news. Anytime anything happens hardware or Nintendo related you see an article about the NX. No matter what the system is, it doesn't make sense to announce it before Nintendo is ready to announce it, the free publicity is well worth waiting on that announcement.

I don't think Nintendo holding out on revealing the NX is actually a good thing for publicity. Yes it does generate some free publicity, but I don't think it's good publicity. Not now. People have been eagerly awaiting for E3, or just before, for the reveal to take place. Now that Nintendo has removed all possibilities of that, and the fact they really have nothing to show at E3 other than a game that is at best a year away from release, the hype for the console kinda died for a lot of people.

Sony are almost certainly announcing the PS4 Neo which will likely release just before or alongside the PS VR headset, especially as all games from September onwards according to the leaked documents suggests this. So right now, I would argue most people are moving on to what Sony has to offer this year, and perhaps even Microsoft if the rumours about them are true.

And of course, Nintendo now has a tricky situation as when do they make that reveal? September and October are going to be heavily loaded with articles, news and adverts all about Sony and their new hardware. And that is just one more reason why those who have yet to upgrade to current gen may look towards getting a Sony console, especially with the NX being so far away, even in September it will be 6 to 7 months away.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

DefHalan

@FragRed Between the PS4K announcement and release is plenty of time for Nintendo to announce what they have and get people on their side. Announcing the system too early would give Sony and Microsoft a chance to take a lot of that steam away from Nintendo. Letting people speculate keeps people engaged while they don't have something else distracting them, like another console releasing. Once that news breaks, Nintendo could then announce the NX and steal the spotlight back away from Sony or Microsoft. Waiting on a reveal doesn't hurt them, if anything it helps. Announcing it sooner puts them at more of a risk.

DefHalan

WebHead wrote:

or just continue as is with third party games that will sell better on their system anyway.

they could also do that, but I think from what we have already seen from the current president, Nintendo isn't going to stay the same course.

WebHead

@DefHalan I meant Sony and Ms. I don't think NX is bothering them much.

WebHead

DefHalan

WebHead wrote:

I meant Sony and Ms. I don't think NX is bothering them much.

If Nintendo is aggressive when going after 3rd Party support, Sony and Microsoft might not be able to ignore Nintendo's impact. What if Nintendo was able to make the deal with Activision or EA where DLC for their games appear on NX first? What if Nintendo was able to get 3rd Parties to optimize games for their systems over the other two? We will see what happens, but my point is that with the NX, the physical hardware of the system is only 1 piece in the overall puzzle.

Grumblevolcano

@DefHalan Sony and Microsoft already have Activision and EA exclusivity respectively.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

DefHalan

@Grumblevolcano Something could always interupt that deal. Weren't those deals flipped last generation? I believe now Sony has Activision and Microsoft has EA, but I think last gen Microsoft had Activision and Sony had EA

WebHead

And not letting them go. I don't think Western and euro pubs will ever support ninty as much as the other guys.

MS and Sony are paying attention but I doubt they're fretti g over it. They got their own problems.

WebHead

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic